Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK verses US weddings.

Wikiposts

UK verses US weddings.

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK verses US weddings.

Originally Posted by MsElui
im not sure - but isnt the shower where your supposed to stiff up with the gift? (and maybe hence the invite lol).
Bridal Shower... your expected to take a gift. Usually some small house hold item.
Hen party (in the US) it seems you need to buy a gift, lingere etc.
And of course a your expected to buy a gift if attending the wedding.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
My sister, however, had no qualms about giving her daughter a bridal shower and asking all my sister's friends and co-workers even though they were not going to be asked to the wedding and reception. Very very tacky in my opinion. (The ultimate cost of the wedding alone was 40K)
One of the showers I was invited to, the bride had 3 showers. One for her friends. One for her Co-workers and a family one. Couple of people were invited to all 3!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Aljarov is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
One of the showers I was invited to, the bride had 3 showers. One for her friends. One for her Co-workers and a family one. Couple of people were invited to all 3!
Free Beer/Drinks at US weddings will generally bump up the cost and very unusual in the UK, aside from drinks for the toasts and a glass or two with the meal.

I've also noticed here that guests invited to a wedding are there all day here, where as in the UK you have day guests (most important/closest) and night/reception only guests (the rest). I guess this is both done for intimacy with your loved ones at the church and for expense purposes here. By the time your had everyone all day in the US, and put on a paid bar, well that can be $$$$$.

I've been a best man in the UK, twice, and once here and those were the main differences I noticed. Me? I got married in the church at the end of the road by my wife's uncle with two random witnesses (no other family there at all). Marraige wasn't important to us, more a necessary evil to firm up my paperwork. We used the money we saved ourselves, and our parents, to set up our life togehter, buy a house and start a family. I would have enjoyed the big day, but I guess I've had enough of them, vicariously as best man, to fluff it.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've had the opposite experiences to most people - weddings I went to in UK were £20k+ with 120 guests, but here low key civil service with dinner at a restaurant afterwards with about 20 people.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

AndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really nice

Originally Posted by USBound
weddings are in general a pisstake ...

i've been to MANY in the UK and 2 in the US... both the US ones cost approx 20x the UK ones and had MANY elements that can only really be considered outlandish and showy... personally i don't see whats so great about landing either yourself or your parents in a whole bunch of debt... but its a personal choice and different people have different expectations of their wedding day.

I praise my wife however, as she did our wedding like a true bargain shopper... everything came out perfectly and we came in under $10k (she'd have the exact numbers).

It was actually more like 9k, and $2300 of that was plane tickets for his parents from the UK.... the 9k covered, my dress, his tux, wedding clothes for his parents, tuxes for our kids, the hall, the food, the booze, the dj, and the hotel where we stayed with our 2 kids and andy's parents.... I am a SUPER SHOPPER

As far as milking it.... yea some people do.... and a lot of it truly is regional.... and for people inviting you to a shower and then not to the wedding...well... that's just tacky.... with the exception of... if it's like a work thing... where someone on your team is getting married... and the work peeps decide to throw her a little shower.... that's different than someone putting you on a list specifically and then you being shafted come the big day.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Being part of a sorority, I've been to my fair share of US weddings. In this neck of the woods, it would be extremely rude to invite someone to your bridal shower, and not invite them to your wedding. Unless you know they will not be available to attend because they told you already (i.e. they're out of the country).

I've never been to a UK wedding, so don't have a clue there. From what I've gathered on here, over the years, it's not common to have a registry in the UK. Though I've often wondered then, how do people know what to get you, or what you need? If I've been living on own for awhile, before getting married, there are some things I obviously wouldn't need, as opposed to someone fresh from the parents' house. So I can see why a couple leaving home for the first time may register for so many more items. I look at a wedding as a way for them to begin gathering all the essentials they will need for starting a life together.

So I don't know if we are milking to the hilt, or if you Brits aren't milking it enough!
We had a registry when we married in the UK. Don't know if it was new thing or had been around for a while, but both M&S and Debenhams did registries.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
im not sure - but isnt the shower where your supposed to stiff up with the gift? (and maybe hence the invite lol).
Thats not the sort of 'stiff up' we brits are used to in the shower
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I was totally confused by our wedding and so was the best man

Mind you the poor guy had arrived from England just 4 hours before the whole thing started .......... We had a ceremony in a church with a crazy preacher who insists the world will end very soon and 'Filthy reds from China will die first'
And a reception (if you can call it that) at a mountain type hick bar with us having no idea what to do, the best man didn't even get a chance to make a speech .. just as well cos he was a geordie and no f**ker would have understood a word
Everyone got drunk and we came home late afternoon.... That night however was great ( I don't mean just the nookie) a few of us went to a night club in Glens Falls and had a grand time

Last edited by Patrick Hasler; Sep 6th 2008 at 12:17 am.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Aljarov is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I was totally confused by our wedding and so was the best man

Mind you the poor guy had arrived from England just 4 hours before the whole thing started .......... We had a ceremony in a church with a crazy preacher who insists the world will end very soon and 'Filthy reds from China will die first'
And a reception (if you can call it that) at a mountain type hick bar with us having no idea what to do, the best man didn't even get a chance to make a speech .. just as well cos he was a geordie and no f**ker would have understood a word
Everyone got drunk and we came home late afternoon.... That night however was great ( I don't mean just the nookie) a few of us went to a night club in Glens Falls and had a grand time
I wasn't required to do a best speech here either for my Brother in Law's wedding. Quite a relief actually....