Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK/US country swap

UK/US country swap

Old Nov 20th 2003, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK/US country swap

I have a proposal, what if the US and UK could swap countries for a period of 1 year. That is, the entire population (including the governments) of the UK would live in the US, and the entire population of the US would live in the UK for one year. Just to see how the other half lives. Don't get me wrong, I know it's impossible to relocate hundreds of millions of people just like that, but if it were possible, would you do it?

Remember, it's only for one year. At the end of that time, the populations must move back to their own respective countries.

Last edited by Jabba1; Nov 20th 2003 at 8:14 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

ejay1 will become famous soon enough

I dont think realistically the whole population of the US would all fit in britain.:scared:
Old Nov 20th 2003, 8:19 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: UK/US country swap

Originally posted by Jabba1
I have a proposal, what if the US and UK could swap countries for a period of 1 year. That is, the entire population (including the governments) of the UK would live in the US, and the entire population of the US would live in the UK for one year. Just to see how the other half lives. Don't get me wrong, I know it's impossible to relocate hundreds of millions of people just like that, but if it were possible, would you do it?

Remember, it's only for one year. At the end of that time, the populations must move back to their own respective countries.
Would they all get to keep their guns? I reckon after a year of 280million Americans crammed into Britain about half of them would have killed each other.

Where would you put all the Uk residents of Northern ireland? If you put them in Orange County only half of them would be happy and trust me you would never get them to move again once they had established a tradition!

regards,

Duncan
Old Nov 20th 2003, 8:21 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Only if Pret a Manger, country pubs, and scampi and chips are introduced to the US mainland!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 8:27 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Pret are in NYC I believe - ask Pulaski
Old Nov 20th 2003, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ejay1
I dont think realistically the whole population of the US would all fit in britain.:scared:
True, elbow room might be a bit hard to come by, but we'll tough it out.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: UK/US country swap

Originally posted by Duncs
Would they all get to keep their guns? I reckon after a year of 280million Americans crammed into Britain about half of them would have killed each other.

Where would you put all the Uk residents of Northern ireland? If you put them in Orange County only half of them would be happy and trust me you would never get them to move again once they had established a tradition!

regards,

Duncan
Ah, no! Let's leave the guns out of this, for once.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
Only if Pret a Manger, country pubs, and scampi and chips are introduced to the US mainland!
You seem to be missing the point. The idea is to try something different for a period of one year. Remember, at the end of that year you'll return to the UK and all those things you might miss.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 8:53 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Can you imagine all the crashes as the americans try to negotiate the small lanes and roundabouts? :scared:
Old Nov 20th 2003, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Can you imagine all the crashes as the americans try to negotiate the small lanes and roundabouts? :scared:
No doubt about it, we Americans will have our work cut out for us in the UK. But that's what it's all about, we'll see who can adapt the best, the UK population to living in the US, or the US population to living in the UK.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

They'd all faint at the price of gas (petrol) lol

Jan
Old Nov 20th 2003, 10:41 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

They will all faint at the number of Bosnians!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by scotch03
They will all faint at the number of Bosnians!
That's interesting, I know a whole family of Bosnian refugees, see em' in the supermarket just about every day.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

And of course all the Brits would drive 6 litre SUV's just coz they can !

Jan
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jan_michigan
And of course all the Brits would drive 6 litre SUV's just coz they can !

Jan

And all the Americans would ride around in those double decker busses, just coz they .....er.....must!