Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do you get on with your mother-in-law?

How do you get on with your mother-in-law?

Old Nov 21st 2003, 11:20 am
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do you get on with your mother-in-law?

I ask because hubby's mom is coming over from Boston for 10 days tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing her (though we were only over there in August). We have lots planned, including a day trip to Paris and next w/e in Venice!
We have always got on really well and as soon as hubby proposed to me, she rang me up and said 'welcome to the family.'
She loves that her son is married to a British girl. She gets on well with my mum too.
Do others love or loathe their MILs?
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:33 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Red face

My "mother-in-law" hates me and goes into a frothing-at-the-mouth rage if my name is mentioned. According to her I turned her daughter queer. If she only knew that my wife was queer long before I got my hands on her! It's such a shame really, because I would love to have a proper family, as it upsets us both, but I just don't see any hope of reconcilliation. I would make the effort for the sake of my wife, but I'm afraid the MIL just doesn't want to know. I've sullied the family line and therefore should be shot. You lucky, lucky heterosexuals, you.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:38 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
My "mother-in-law" hates me and goes into a frothing-at-the-mouth rage if my name is mentioned. According to her I turned her daughter queer. If she only knew that my wife was queer long before I got my hands on her! It's such a shame really, because I would love to have a proper family, as it upsets us both, but I just don't see any hope of reconcilliation. I would make the effort for the sake of my wife, but I'm afraid the MIL just doesn't want to know. I've sullied the family line and therefore should be shot. You lucky, lucky heterosexuals, you.
How does your family feel towards your wife then? Are they more understanding?
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

Hey my MIL hates me too. A lot of it has to do with my wife and her sisters always doing what their mother wants of them. Then I coma along and don't play along with her game and challenge her about everthing. My MIL even at our reception made a comment about my wife marrying below herself in her speach!!!!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:40 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

My "mother-in-law" hates me and goes into a frothing-at-the-mouth rage if my name is mentioned. According to her I turned her daughter queer.
Thats exactly what I was going to say!

Patrick
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:41 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
How does your family feel towards your wife then? Are they more understanding?
We're getting there. I think they're finally accepting it but it's been difficult. My parents came to the wedding so that was a really good thing. They accept my wife and understand why I'm emigrating. It may actually be getting through! My sister is absolutely brilliant and totally accepting.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you get on with your mother-in-law?

Umm .. I suppose I have to speak to hear...She is just hovering overhead at the moment, but her broomstick will bring her into land Shortly..

Last edited by ray6; Nov 21st 2003 at 12:54 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:43 pm
Rock Goddess

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
Hey my MIL hates me too. A lot of it has to do with my wife and her sisters always doing what their mother wants of them. Then I coma along and don't play along with her game and challenge her about everthing. My MIL even at our reception made a comment about my wife marrying below herself in her speach!!!!
Oops! LOL. I suddenly feel a whole lot better!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:47 pm
Rock Goddess

Originally posted by Patrick
Thats exactly what I was going to say!

Patrick
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:17 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

We're getting there. I think they're finally accepting it but it's been difficult. My parents came to the wedding so that was a really good thing. They accept my wife and understand why I'm emigrating. It may actually be getting through! My sister is absolutely brilliant and totally accepting.
I glad to hear that then. It would be really hard for both of you if you didn't have any family members rooting for you.
Knowing that your family understands your reasons for emigrating makes it a lot easier to bare.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:27 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I very really see my MIL, she is very nice to me when I do see her though. I suppose it helped being 4 thousand miles away from her for the first 8 years of knowing her daughter!

My father in law on the other hand only said 3 words to me for the first 3 years we where married. He asked me "are you irish", I said no (although my name is patrick joseph, I am catholic and drink like they are going to make it illegal tomorrow). His great great grandfather came over from Ireland, but you would think he was born in Dublin and lived there his entire life! He talks to me now (of sorts) but looks to get united ireland jibes in whenever he can

Patrick
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I get on real well with my mil. But all my inlaws have treated me like one of the family since I was first introduced to them.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you get on with your mother-in-law?

...... My MIL even at our reception made a comment about my wife marrying below herself in her speach!!!!
You let your mother-in-law made a speech at your wedding? That was a mistake!
Originally posted by MrsLondon
I ask because hubby's mom is coming over from Boston for 10 days tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing her (though we were only over there in August). We have lots planned, including a day trip to Paris and next w/e in Venice!
We have always got on really well and as soon as hubby proposed to me, she rang me up and said 'welcome to the family.'
She loves that her son is married to a British girl. She gets on well with my mum too. ......
Same as you, MrsL - she's just great. Slightly dotty but great.

My father-in-law is also great - if only I fished and played golf he thinks I'd be the perfect son-in-law.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:03 pm
Pagan Sex God

My MIL even at our reception made a comment about my wife marrying below herself in her speach!!!!
1. having read some of your posts she is probably right!

2. My MIL has a humanitarian award named after her, what chance do I have of meeting her expectations, because I am unemployed she calls me the no-good son in law (her other son in law is a millionaire with his own jet), I hope she is joking!

Patrick
Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Patrick
1. having read some of your posts she is probably right!

Patrick
Possibly, I got the whole why are you unemployed you lazy bastard thing when I got here on K1, I'm sure she thought I made the whole EAD up so I don't have to work!!!
ON the other hand I get on great with FIL, we drink beer and hang out whenever I go over to the In-laws .
I think that man is a saint and he in turn deserves a medal, even my wife agrees with me, she even plucked up the courage to tell the MIL last night that we are spending Xmas alone this year and not returing to the MIL's.
Did anyone have the problem of the inlaws addressing mail to their daughter and still using their old name?
My MIL used to address mail to us as...... Dr. XXXXX and boy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.