Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK > Triangle, NC moving experience

Wikiposts

UK > Triangle, NC moving experience

Old May 7th 2014, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK > Triangle, NC moving experience

Originally Posted by MMcD
ah...well that's of course Calabasas, West Hollywood and other branches hither and yon of the branches, aka by your arborist as: water spurs - which should always be loped.

However, in Beverly Hills - it's new YTS crossed with 21st century (un)real estate agents holding company's holder....Mr Robot Sotheby himself who promises nothing and prefers that you just f*** off.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rR3_FP2WOec
Calabasas has this kind of vibe

Old May 7th 2014, 11:20 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I still can't get Citibank to cancel the automatic payment for a car loan that ended 2 years ago. I've given in, and now just accept that $300 comes out of my account, and 1 week later I get a check in the mail from Ford for the $300 back

I hate banks here.
Old May 7th 2014, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I still can't get Citibank to cancel the automatic payment for a car loan that ended 2 years ago. I've given in, and now just accept that $300 comes out of my account, and 1 week later I get a check in the mail from Ford for the $300 back

I hate banks here.
Trying to change anything feels like turning a battleship
Old May 7th 2014, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Calabasas has this kind of vibe

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vNy887IGMOk
PS He got stuck with Scientology because he didn't want them to let out the 'secret' that he was gay
Old May 7th 2014, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

PS He got stuck with Scientology because he didn't want them to let out the 'secret' that he was gay
Cruise?
Old May 7th 2014, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Scientology...its the subject of Louis Theroux next LA documentary
Old May 7th 2014, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to change anything feels like turning a battleship
I'm trying to get some new checkbooks, only my bank apparently has no record of me having them before. Despite me writing about eight or nine checks a month! HSBC in my case....
Old May 7th 2014, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I'm trying to get some new checkbooks, only my bank apparently has no record of me having them before. Despite me writing about eight or nine checks a month! HSBC in my case....
That's absurd but....

Okay....Therefore, they MUST credit your account for the full amount of all the cheques you've written - since you never wrote them, as you never had them in the first place.
That'll call their bluff.
Hopefully the total is a large amount.
Just take the money and run....elsewhere. Fast
Old May 7th 2014, 12:43 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

That's absurd but....

Okay....Therefore, they MUST credit your account for the full amount of all the cheques you've written - since you never wrote them, as you never had them in the first place.
That'll call their bluff.
Hopefully the total is a large amount.
Just take the money and run....elsewhere. Fast
But you can get anyone to print checks for you, you just order them from on the internet. They don't have to be issued by the bank
Old May 7th 2014, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

I opened a bank account with First Interstate back in the 90s when I first arrived in the US. They eventually got acquired by Wells Fargo.

I remember when internet Bill Pay first became the rage. Wells Fargo offered this for free on my checking account, unless the account went below $750 in a given month. Then they would charge one of their infamous fees.

I was a poor lad back in those days, so it was not uncommon for my account to drop below $750 on occasion. But the Bill Pay fee just cheesed me off. I refused to enroll in online bill pay, and continued to send checks in the mail to pay my bills for many years (aka cutting off my nose to spite my face).

I finally switched to a local credit union a few years ago. No bill pay fees - yay. And as long as my salary is direct deposited, any ATM fees (such as visiting Wells Fargo) are reimbursed.

On top of that, when I call the credit union, the phone call goes to my local branch, and not some anonymous off shore call centre.

The credit union does not offer some of the more "exotic" services like foreign currency, but overall I have been very happy with the move.

I wouldn't touch Wells Fargo with a barge pole.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cruise?
Him 'n all.
Speaking of Scientology...its the subject of Louis Theroux next LA documentary
That will be interesting - I've just read a good book about the subject.
Old May 7th 2014, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

But you can get anyone to print checks for you, you just order them from on the internet. They don't have to be issued by the bank
a) I find that a totally bizarre thing and I can't get my head around it and b) I'm supposed to get them free with my account and I'm too tight to pay someone else for the privilege of paying someone with my own money.
Old May 7th 2014, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kevntrace
I opened a bank account with First Interstate back in the 90s when I first arrived in the US. They eventually got acquired by Wells Fargo. But the Bill Pay fee just cheesed me off. I finally switched to a local credit union a few years ago. On top of that, when I call the credit union, the phone call goes to my local branch, and not some anonymous off shore call centre. overall I have been very happy with the move.
I wouldn't touch Wells Fargo with a barge pole.
Good move (but you don't need me to tell you that). I've always heard that a good Credit Union (if one is available to you - and it isn't for everyone) is preferable to a bank for personalized service (with a ) and customer satisfaction.
Old May 7th 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

They do if you don't want to pay for them.
And why should you? You shouldn't!
Old May 7th 2014, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by yellowroom
a) I find that a totally bizarre thing and I can't get my head around it and b) I'm supposed to get them free with my account and I'm too tight to pay someone else for the privilege of paying someone with my own money.
Why does it matter to the bank whether you've had them before? Just ask them for checks for your account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.