Reload this Page >

UK Student car leave in USA

UK Student car leave in USA

Old Jul 2nd 2020, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Lisadk is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK Student car leave in USA

Hi

My client's Son (UK passport) is going back for his final year at Elon University (NC) at the end of this month.

He's asked me to source lease car, a VW or similar until May 2021

Please could you point me in the best direction for perhaps ex pat car leasing in the USA? Or any other options

Thank you!
Lisa
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 11:59 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Student car leave in USA

https://intlauto.com/

Old Jul 2nd 2020, 1:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Leases in the US typically run 33+ months (some may be as short as 24 months), and I am not sure that a "lease", meaning another way to obtain long term use of a vehicle, is going to work if your son only needs it for 9-10 months, and is then going to leave the US.

I am not certain about the alterantives, but perhaps one of the car rental companies might be willing to agree to a 10 month rental contract? Alternatively he could rent for upto a month at a time, as I think that is the longest standard rental period.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 1:59 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Alternatively he could rent for upto a month at a time
Ouch. That'll hurt the wallet!
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 2:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Ouch. That'll hurt the wallet!
It's OK, apparently Mum is paying.

The insurance will be the killer because IME literally half the cost of renting, if you don't already have car insurance in the US, is the cost of insurance. If you do have car insurance in the US then that usually covers you to drive a rental car.

The only way I would see to solve the original question in a vaguely affordable way would be to buy one of the nicest cars you can find on a "buy here, pay here" used car dealer lot (which is probably going to be about 3 years old), make the payments for ten months, then hand them keys at the end of ten months, and they will give it a quick wash and change the oil and put it back on the lot to sell it again. You don't need any credit history to buy from a buy here pay here dealer, just proof of address, and perhaps proof of income or means to make the payments.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 2nd 2020 at 2:58 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 2:32 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Leases in the US typically run 33+ months (some may be as short as 24 months), and I am not sure that a "lease", meaning another way to obtain long term use of a vehicle, is going to work if your son only needs it for 9-10 months, and is then going to leave the US.

I am not certain about the alterantives, but perhaps one of the car rental companies might be willing to agree to a 10 month rental contract? Alternatively he could rent for upto a month at a time, as I think that is the longest standard rental period.
or they could try and find one to “takeover” I think there are a few of this type of service if you google it: https://www.swapalease.com

not sure how it works with credit etc, but they may he able to find one with an expiry date that lines up. Also most leases allow you to keep paying the same monthly for up to 6 months after the end day, so it would not have to be an exact match if the one they find is not long enough. With people loosing jobs there could be a bigger number available. As you note Insurnace will not be cheap unless they have an established history.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Drive a beater car, worst case at the end it is scrapped.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 3:43 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Drive a beater car, worst case at the end it is scrapped.
I wouldn't even say it has to be a beater, to lease one for a year is probably going to cost 5K+, you can get quite a nice car for that much.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I wouldn't even say it has to be a beater, to lease one for a year is probably going to cost 5K+, you can get quite a nice car for that much.
True. I've never been to Elon, NC, but a quick look on Google Maps shows a very small town. I wonder if a car is even necessary.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Private school at an international student tuition rate, and then being able to ask a consultant to find a lease car - I am assuming money is not particularly an issue for the client.

Contact car hire companies and ask about long-term corporate leases. I've had these done as short as 90 days in the past.

Alternatively perhaps a surplus auction.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by tht
or they could try and find one to “takeover” I think there are a few of this type of service if you google it: https://www.swapalease.com

not sure how it works with credit etc, but they may he able to find one with an expiry date that lines up. Also most leases allow you to keep paying the same monthly for up to 6 months after the end day, ....
With, presumably, no way to prove income and little or no credit history, I suspect that might only work if he ponies-up all the remaining payments under the lease up front, and perhaps even any additional period (if applicable).
Originally Posted by tom169
True. I've never been to Elon, NC, but a quick look on Google Maps shows a very small town. I wonder if a car is even necessary.
Surely "the smaller the town, the more you need a vehicle" is the rule in the US?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 4th 2020 at 12:22 pm.