Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

110v uk tools in the usa

110v uk tools in the usa

Old Jul 2nd 2020, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

TOOLS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 110v uk tools in the usa

How can i use my 110v tools in the USA? For instance sander 110v 180w do i just need a plug adapter or converter?
thank you in advance
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 11:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 110v uk tools in the usa

Where are you bringing it from? Most countries that use 110V have a system that is similar to/ compatible with US power and sockets, so my initial reaction is that you wouldn't even need a plug adapter.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

The OP says UK in the title, building sites in the UK use power tools with a 110V center tapped earth transformer for safety - each conductor is only 55V potential to ground.

They probably would work with a US plug on but remember the US is 60Hz not 50Hz so motors will run faster.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 12:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
The OP says UK in the title, building sites in the UK use power tools with a 110V center tapped earth transformer for safety - each conductor is only 55V potential to ground. ....
That's interesting, I didn't know that.
.... They probably would work with a US plug on but remember the US is 60Hz not 50Hz so motors will run faster.
OK, but what sort of plug do they have - a British 13A three pin?

People who know more about motors than I do have advised in the past that most motors won't run at a different speed if the mains has a different frequency.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 3rd 2020 at 1:51 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

An example of one here... https://www.screwfix.com/p/carroll-m...nsformer/84144

It's a special type of plug, two hots and a ground so similar to how a US 240V appliance works I guess.

I think the motor situation depends on the type of motor - induction motors will run at a different speed.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 2:03 am

An example of one here... https://www.screwfix.com/p/carroll-m...nsformer/84144

It's a special type of plug, two hots and a ground so similar to how a US 240V appliance works I guess.

I think the motor situation depends on the type of motor - induction motors will run at a different speed.
Based on this guy's experience, it appears that he should be able to just snip off the plug and replace it with a US standard 3-pin (available at any Lowe's, Home Depot, or electrical contractor supplier), which will have 110V in one pin and neutral (ground) in the other, but the tool won't care so long as there is 110V-120V across the two pins..

As it appears that a UK 110V plug is a bit idiosyncratic, I suspect that getting an adapter might be a problem, but in any case, for power tool purposes I would always recommend replacing the plug anyway as the safer and preferable alternative to using an adapter.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 3rd 2020 at 2:07 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my 110v Makita skill saw over here, chopped the plug off and put on a US plug, it works fine, would work even better if I could locally source the right size blade for it. The closest I can find is 7 1/4" which is a tad dinky for it and makes it all but useless.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I bought my 110v Makita skill saw over here, chopped the plug off and put on a US plug, it works fine, would work even better if I could locally source the right size blade for it. The closest I can find is 7 1/4" which is a tad dinky for it and makes it all but useless.
You need 7½" (190mm)? https://www.amazon.com/Makita-90629-2-Inch-Carbide-Tipped/dp/B00080C3VQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=TXY25O82T3ZX&dchild=1&keywords=7+1%2F2+circular+saw+blade&qid=1593742990&sprefix=7+1%2F2+%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-3.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 3rd 2020 at 2:25 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You need 7½" (190mm)? Amazon is your friend.
Yup, as is Axminster Power Tools, one day I'll get around to ordering the right size online. Mañana
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Where are you bringing it from? Most countries that use 110V have a system that is similar to/ compatible with US power and sockets, so my initial reaction is that you wouldn't even need a plug adapter.
FROM the UK it has a a type d OR M plug now although im not really sure the difference in D or M plug types.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 4:25 am
Just Joined

ok thank you i was hoping for AN adapter. i took apart the plug and it only has two wires. Now does it grey one need to match up to the white usa wire?
Old Jul 4th 2020, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Don't blame me if it blows up but if it only has two wires it isn't grounded so just connect the two wires to the hot and neutral pins (doesn't matter which) of a US plug and it'll probably work fine.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 3:34 am

Don't blame me if it blows up but if it only has two wires it isn't grounded so just connect the two wires to the hot and neutral pins (doesn't matter which) of a US plug and it'll probably work fine.
I agree, with the caveat that if you can work out which wire in the tool connects directly to the trigger switch, you should connect that one to the small pin in a US plug (on a two-pin US plug, one pin is usually slightly wider that the other, so the plug can only be plugged in one way around) , which connects to the 110v supply.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 2:39 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
FWIW, Skilsaw is a trademark, but one which has come to be genericized. (BTW, it has only one “L”). I’ve inherited two of my dad’s 1950’s worm drive Skilsaws. Funny thing is they still make them, but now with brushless motors. And in absolute dollars, they cost the same; the tooling must be long amortized I guess. Back in the day, Skilsaws were the only saws seen on job sites (and Milwaukee for heavy duty drill motors). I’ve noted that Mikita, Bosch and DeWalt are the brands of choice these days.

On the size of the blade, 7 1/4 inch (184 mm) is big enough for a 45 deg bevel cut of a standard 2 x 4 used in framing. If doing 90 deg straight cuts, the plate would be adjusted to expose less of the blade. A 4 x 4 would require 2 cuts with the second cut often by hand. (And I’m talking the old un-planed “true” dimensioned framing lumber. And being old growth, the old stuff was a lot denser).

Many carpenters would remove the safety shield. Dad never did that. It was dangerous enough because one would sometimes cut the power cord (oops).
Old Jul 4th 2020, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
FWIW, Skilsaw is a trademark, but one which has come to be genericized. (BTW, it has only one “L”). I’ve inherited two of my dad’s 1950’s worm drive Skilsaws. Funny thing is they still make them, but now with brushless motors. And in absolute dollars, they cost the same; the tooling must be long amortized I guess. Back in the day, Skilsaws were the only saws seen on job sites (and Milwaukee for heavy duty drill motors). I’ve noted that Mikita, Bosch and DeWalt are the brands of choice these days.

On the size of the blade, 7 1/4 inch (184 mm) is big enough for a 45 deg bevel cut of a standard 2 x 4 used in framing. If doing 90 deg straight cuts, the plate would be adjusted to expose less of the blade. A 4 x 4 would require 2 cuts with the second cut often by hand. (And I’m talking the old un-planed “true” dimensioned framing lumber. And being old growth, the old stuff was a lot denser).

Many carpenters would remove the safety shield. Dad never did that. It was dangerous enough because one would sometimes cut the power cord (oops).
I'm obviously picking up the native lingo, although I refuse to call a reciprocating saw a sword saw. Us older Brit wood butchers preferred Elu and DeWalt when it's tools were Green and Orange. Then Elu were acquired by DeWalt who eventually ended up in Black and Decker who in turn merged with Stanley. Me, I'm a Makita and Hitachi man given the choice and budget.

7 1/4" is still dinky, I was used to throwing a 260mm circular saw round all day long on bits of Burmese teak and English oak, although you haven't lived until you've spent a couple of hours with a 6+" electric hand planer...

In all my years of working with power tools (both as a kid and a tradesman) I have never once cut through a power cord, nor had I known anyone else to either, then I moved over here, bought a cheap and cheerful 7 1/4" Ryobi, my boss borrowed it and managed to cut through the cord before the saw was even two weeks old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.