Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK prices WOW

UK prices WOW

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK prices WOW

Originally Posted by Dually Driver
Just returned from two weeks in the Oxford area. How the hell does anyone afford to live in the UK anymore. Gas at .95 per litre, a pint costs 2.20 and the prices at the grocery stores are crazy. :scared: Forget eating out, a pub lunch runs at least 10-12 per person. I'm not even going to mention the cost of houses... Dear old mum says "At least we have free medical." She doesn't realise that she's paying for it everytime she buys something. God bless the US
The same could be said about people living in the US? How the hell does anyone afford to pay for health insurance, health care, a university education, auto insurance, real cheese, etc...?
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:16 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

it all kinda balances out though, sure most things are a lot cheaper in Us, but some things are cheaper back in blighty, like property, i belive grocerys are cheaper in blighty, medical insurance (or no need for it), yes gas is a lot cheaper in US, but then again US cars get awful fuel consumption so they need cheaper gas plus americans tend to try more/further in thir daily life, yes i belive the cost of living is slighty cheaper inamerica but its not as huge as most people (especially the media) suggest.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:40 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We were just back in the UK from July 05 to Jan 06, so I kept a tally on our expenses - we're thinking of heading back, and it was a good chance to see what we'd need to make, and whether we would fit back into the lifestyle.

Our outgoings in the UK were about 80% of what they are in the US, all in. And that was for the most expensive part of the year - summer hols and christmas, plus a lot of extra travelling to visit people. And it included an allowance for what a mortgage would cost us in the UK for the sort of house we'd be looking for.

We've been back here in the US a month or so, and my (US) wife has taken to complaining about the crap and expensive produce in the supermarkets, the excessive time we spend in the car, and how less friendly people are compared to the UK!!!!

Sorry to disagree with the britbashers, but on our circumstances, moving from where we are now (Texas) to where we would be there (Yorkshire), its a lot cheaper in the UK.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 4:39 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We've been back here in the US a month or so, and my (US) wife has taken to complaining about the crap and expensive produce in the supermarkets, the excessive time we spend in the car, and how less friendly people are compared to the UK!!!!

Sorry to disagree with the britbashers, but on our circumstances, moving from where we are now (Texas) to where we would be there (Yorkshire), its a lot cheaper in the UK.
yep totally agree with you and your wife's comments.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

We were just back in the UK from July 05 to Jan 06, so I kept a tally on our expenses - we're thinking of heading back, and it was a good chance to see what we'd need to make, and whether we would fit back into the lifestyle.

Our outgoings in the UK were about 80% of what they are in the US, all in. And that was for the most expensive part of the year - summer hols and christmas, plus a lot of extra travelling to visit people. And it included an allowance for what a mortgage would cost us in the UK for the sort of house we'd be looking for.

I agree that its hard to find quality fresh stuff - and its difficult to get it all in one place, we have to go to different places for different things (if we can be bothered!) We are lucky that everything is nearby though, and i think the prices even out with some things more and others less. My experience of Texas though is that everyone is mega friendly - almost too much sometimes. Maybe Houston is just the exception and tainted by its size?
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antjen
it all kinda balances out though, sure most things are a lot cheaper in Us, but some things are cheaper back in blighty, like property, i belive grocerys are cheaper in blighty, medical insurance (or no need for it), yes gas is a lot cheaper in US, but then again US cars get awful fuel consumption so they need cheaper gas plus americans tend to try more/further in thir daily life, yes i belive the cost of living is slighty cheaper inamerica but its not as huge as most people (especially the media) suggest.

Property cheaper in blighty? Where are you living in the US?
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 4:59 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
manhattan, beverley hills ???
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne
...Are people really earning that much money that they can afford to have that kind of mortgage?? Are they now 100 year mortgages with no money down, or what?? When I worked in conveyancing it was customary to put a 10% deposit down when you bought a house. I can't even begin to think about finding 38,000 just for the deposit. :scared:
get a higher interest morgage that doens't check on your salary, which means you can lie and get a x6 instead of the customary x3 morgage:salary ratio...or wait for the old dear to kick the bucket
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:30 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

My experience of Texas though is that everyone is mega friendly - almost too much sometimes. Maybe Houston is just the exception and tainted by its size?
Maybe its the Houston thing (well, we're not really Houston, we're Houston commuter belt) Or maybe its that the friendliness got beyond the superficial "how are you/have a nice day". Or maybe its that folk in Yorkshire are friendlier? Or maybe she mistook nosey for friendly Or maybe its because she got the reverse of the "nice accent" interest.....I don't know - but the post was meant to be about prices anyway !
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe its the Houston thing (well, we're not really Houston, we're Houston commuter belt) Or maybe its that the friendliness got beyond the superficial "how are you/have a nice day". Or maybe its that folk in Yorkshire are friendlier? Or maybe she mistook nosey for friendly Or maybe its because she got the reverse of the "nice accent" interest.....I don't know - but the post was meant to be about prices anyway !

Hey - you started with the unfriendly comments
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:35 pm

Hey - you started with the unfriendly comments
Yeah I know - it snuck under my "mustn't be rude about the lcoals" radar. Or maybe the radar was just turned off, as usual
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:04 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe its the Houston thing (well, we're not really Houston, we're Houston commuter belt)
I've been told for a U.S city of it's size Houston is actually one of the much cheaper ones to live in.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Gosh thats so expensive. I dont know why everyone stuck in good old blighty doesnt just jump off Beachy Head and have done with it.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 11:10 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

have you seen property prices in Los Angeles?? - half a million dollars! doesnt buys you anything decent, and im not talking places like beverly hills or malibu etc etc - the more down to earth cities like san marino or alhambra or pasadena etc etc
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I've been told for a U.S city of it's size Houston is actually one of the much cheaper ones to live in.

I think thats right - certainly compared to the likes of LA/SF/NY etc. I guess the main thing contributing to that is the price of property. Before we came here, I found a website that claimed to compare cost of living in different cities, and what you would need to earn in a different city to maintain same standard of living as in your current place (anyone know the site? I've lost the link). From what I remember, Houston came out about 65% of the cost of living in Greenwich CT, and were we are (katy) was about 70% or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.