Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK prices WOW

UK prices WOW

Old Mar 4th 2006, 7:43 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK prices WOW

Originally Posted by antjen
well said - im sick to death of people saying how cheap and amazing america is - i just tell them, so why doesnt everyone live in great big mansions and drive mercedes!!!!

a lot of things seem cheaper for people who visit the US as tourists, but when you pay the bills like car insurance, mortgage etc etc it soon adds up!!

- but yes, living in LA probably isnt the best place to compare as it is damn expensive here!!
It sounds like it depends on where you live and may be how you live I'm definitely better off.

Since you moved to the USA do drive a bigger car and live in a bigger house than you owned in the UK?

Rent wise I'm living in a two bedroomed apartment and paying less than I was paying to share the same sized apartment back home.

I drive a car that is small in terms of USA style but averaged sized for back home and it cost alot less than it would have back home, yes insurance was a little dearer but then in a few years that would come down once I've got some credit.

My medical is covered by the Company as it is back home so I guess that helps.

They serve $2 pitchers during happy hour at the bar I drink at.

Food wise I shop around not going out of my way but generally its cheap but good quality.

I guess you could say that I've been brought up the old fashioned way and was taught the value of money, don't get me wrong I live better than average but I make my money go further than most.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 8:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britontour
It sounds like it depends on where you live and may be how you live I'm definitely better off.

Since you moved to the USA do drive a bigger car and live in a bigger house than you owned in the UK?

Rent wise I'm living in a two bedroomed apartment and paying less than I was paying to share the same sized apartment back home.

I drive a car that is small in terms of USA style but averaged sized for back home and it cost alot less than it would have back home, yes insurance was a little dearer but then in a few years that would come down once I've got some credit.

My medical is covered by the Company as it is back home so I guess that helps.

They serve $2 pitchers during happy hour at the bar I drink at.

Food wise I shop around not going out of my way but generally its cheap but good quality.

I guess you could say that I've been brought up the old fashioned way and was taught the value of money, don't get me wrong I live better than average but I make my money go further than most.

Your rather lucky then

Place is smaller here, costs about the same because utilities are a lot more expensive, as it heating, no property tax because we rent, but that's well expensive here.

Don't have to drive to much for the missus to go to work, but we have to drive lots for everything else, and running a car is far more expensive here, and it's about the same as what I would have in the UK, actually, it's a lot older than what I drove in the UK.

Medical insurance is crippling us, and that is paid on top of social, medicare/medicaid taxes, which we can't claim.

Small beer goes for around $3.50...happy hour in some bars and you can get a bottle of bud for $1.50, but who wants to drink that pish?

As for groceries, we have to shop around in 3 or so stores to get the quality and healthy food, nothing extravagant either..costs far more than what I'd have spent in Sainsbury's for the same sort of stuff....does help that a lot of food items aren't taxed in maine though.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You need to shop at Costco.
Jersey, I was in Costco today. They have blocks of cheese bigger then my apartment.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 2:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Jersey, I was in Costco today. They have blocks of cheese bigger then my apartment.
Reg. Frank R.
LOL . You could always store stuff in your gas guzzeling, unsafe roll over SUV
Old Mar 6th 2006, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
LOL . You could always store stuff in your gas guzzeling, unsafe roll over SUV
Wow, good idea. Never thought of that. Whoops, forgot, we have beach chairs, umbrellas, water shoes, rain slickers & the kitchen sink in there already. The truck is our storage depot already.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 3:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, good idea. Never thought of that. Whoops, forgot, we have beach chairs, umbrellas, water shoes, rain slickers & the kitchen sink in there already. The truck is our storage depot already.
Reg. Frank R.
don't have one of those stupid looking boxes on ya roof then?
Old Mar 6th 2006, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
don't have one of those stupid looking boxes on ya roof then?
No, have not gone that far YET.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 4:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

No, have not gone that far YET.
Reg. Frank R.
hehe
Old Mar 6th 2006, 11:31 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

The only things I find more expensive here than the UK are land line telephone charges and electricity.

I think a lot depends where you move from and where you move to. If you move from somewhere like Lancashire to California then prices will be cheaper in the UK. I moved from Newport Pagnell, Bucks to Harvest, Alabama and the general cost of living is probably around 50% less than it was in the UK, but I am earning twice as much.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lynne
The only things I find more expensive here than the UK are land line telephone charges and electricity.

I think a lot depends where you move from and where you move to. If you move from somewhere like Lancashire to California then prices will be cheaper in the UK. I moved from Newport Pagnell, Bucks to Harvest, Alabama and the general cost of living is probably around 50% less than it was in the UK, but I am earning twice as much.
And live 200% further away from any signs of civilisation.

I just read all about Harvest, Alabama on the t'internet...wow does it look exciting there.

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Mar 6th 2006 at 1:07 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
for crap, bruised apples, $1.50 a pound, nice ones, at least $2.30 a pound.
today I found shopping heaven, Henry's Market, don't think its a California only place as much of there stuff comes from Colorado but apples, 67c a pound, organic milk $2.00 for 4 pints and bread, oh my god the bread, $1.59 a massive loaf and almost as good as Warburtons.. Most things were at least half of the price of my local Vons/Safeway.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:09 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
today I found shopping heaven, Henry's Market, don't think its a California only place as much of there stuff comes from Colorado but apples, 67c a pound, organic milk $2.00 for 4 pints and bread, oh my god the bread, $1.59 a massive loaf and almost as good as Warburtons.. Most things were at least half of the price of my local Vons/Safeway.
Cool, thanx Woodsey. We have a Henry's here too, never thought to bother going there, but will now you say they have fantastic bread, haven't been able to find a decent loaf yet, but now I'm hopeful! Wooohooo!!!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:15 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
And live 200% further away from any signs of civilisation.

I just read all about Harvest, Alabama on the t'internet...wow does it look exciting there.

That is a typical response from someone who has no clue what they are talking about. LOLOLOL Harvest is dead nothing but farms but if you look at surrounding areas there is plenty of things to do and be involved in, but we try to keep it a secret. Maybe you should check out Huntsville too. It's probably one of the very few Cities in the US where when someone asks "what are you, a rocket scientist", 75% of the working population will reply "actually I am".
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne
It's probably one of the very few Cities in the US where when someone asks "what are you, a rocket scientist", 75% of the working population will reply "actually I am".

lol
Old Mar 7th 2006, 11:54 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dually Driver
Just returned from two weeks in the Oxford area. How the hell does anyone afford to live in the UK anymore.
Since when has the Oxford area encompassed the whole of the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.