Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Laptops and mobiles in the USA

UK Laptops and mobiles in the USA

Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Laptops and mobiles in the USA

Originally Posted by dunroving
That's odd. I've been plugging my now 10-year-old US Gateway laptop into a UK supply since 2006 and never any problems.

He's not using it in the bathtub, is he?
no idea why it didn't work but just kept blowing.Was fine when he used it after the visit back in US
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

computers are fine.

Tracfone SIM won't work. The phones have been flashed specially to work on their network so the SIM itself will only work on other tracfones.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
Last time I was out there we bought some pay as you go Trackphones. Hopefully I can just use their sim in my smartphone?
You can buy a no-contract PAYG Android phone for as little as $100 these days. If you're looking for low cost, Tracfone is fine for voice but not data services. Best value in data services with a smart phone is probably virginmobileusa. It won't be worth the hassle trying to get a foreign phone hooked up.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CAProgrammer
All of the phones in the UK are GSM, but not all of them would work at the GSM frequencies that are used in the States!

Canada and the USA use 850 MHz and 1900 MHz, while Europe uses 900 MHz and 1800 MHz.

To be sure that the phone will work you need to have a "quad-band" phone. These phones will support 850,900,1800 and 1900 frequencies.

A "tri-band" phone supports either

850,1800 and 1900 frequencies (this phone will work in the USA)

OR

900,1800 and 1900 frequencies (this will not give you complete coverage in the USA as you can only receive your service in areas that support 1900 MHz).
For a GSM phone from the UK, unless you are very, very lucky, you won't get 3G on T-Mobile, as they use the AWS frequency of 1700Mhz paired with 2100Mhz.

AT&T is probably the best bet, in that instance, unless there's a local company that may work too.