Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can any New Yorkers or thereabouts help us decide where to live??

Can any New Yorkers or thereabouts help us decide where to live??

Old Dec 4th 2011, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

LillyRobeson is on a distinguished road
Default Can any New Yorkers or thereabouts help us decide where to live??

So, move to NYC on the cards next few months. I'll be working for UN and need to be convenient for midtown east. We have 2 kids who need schools - we've applied for some privates already (UN covers much of cost for non-US citizens) but would consider public because even with subsidy it's still very pricey.

Personally, I'd love to be central and have less commute. My husband wants a house with a garden so we'll have to compromise. At the moment we have bog standard 3 bed semi in north London (zone 5) so could go with something similar although I'd prefer less of a commute (takes me almost an hour door to door at the moment to central London). We both like slightly more central areas of London in zones 3 and 4 (eg Finchley, Golders Green, Muswell Hill/Crouch End). Are there any areas of NYC which you could recommend for us to look at? We thought of Riverdale (but a bit far out) and Forest Hills - any other ideas? I want easy commute to work and a safe/pleasant neighbourhood with walkable amenities.

Thanks!!
Old Dec 4th 2011, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Can any New Yorkers or thereabouts help us decide where to live??

Originally Posted by LillyRobeson
So, move to NYC on the cards next few months. I'll be working for UN and need to be convenient for midtown east. We have 2 kids who need schools - we've applied for some privates already (UN covers much of cost for non-US citizens) but would consider public because even with subsidy it's still very pricey.

Personally, I'd love to be central and have less commute. My husband wants a house with a garden so we'll have to compromise. At the moment we have bog standard 3 bed semi in north London (zone 5) so could go with something similar although I'd prefer less of a commute (takes me almost an hour door to door at the moment to central London). We both like slightly more central areas of London in zones 3 and 4 (eg Finchley, Golders Green, Muswell Hill/Crouch End). Are there any areas of NYC which you could recommend for us to look at? We thought of Riverdale (but a bit far out) and Forest Hills - any other ideas? I want easy commute to work and a safe/pleasant neighbourhood with walkable amenities.

Thanks!!
As you'll be working close to Grand Central Terminal then somewhere on the Metro-North is your best bet. We live in Tarrytown, which is just about perfect. We have a Main Street that is really vibrant with tons of great places to eat and drink, interesting antique shops and galleries, and we have live music at the Music Hall, and we have lots of history here or nearby: Sleepy Hollow Cemetery and the Old Dutch Church, Kykuit, Philipsburg Manor, Lyndhurst etc. Fine dining at the Stone Barns, the list goes on. We have two supermarkets, one right in the village centre so walkable, and Fresh Direct deliver here.

You may feel Tarrytown is too far out; but it's only a 35 minute commute on the non-stop peak trains (50 minutes on an off-peak all-stops) for just $260 a month (less than I was paying in NYC income tax when we were in temporary accomodation in the city). Rentals are expensive here (because the property tax is so high). We pay $2150 per month for a lovely 2/3 bed apartment but we think it's worth it for the location.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Untitled 3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can any New Yorkers or thereabouts help us decide where to live??

What's your budget and what size place are you looking for? If you want to stay in the city I would look around the Upper East Side. It's very family friendly with great public and private schools, very easy commute to the UN (you can walk there from some parts) and you'd be close to the park. The only problem is that it may cost a bit. You might be able to find a ground floor apartment of a brownstone which would give you a garden.

I'd also look around Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill and Park Slope. These are great family friendly neighbourhoods in Brooklyn. Very similar feel to a Crouch End/Muswell Hill. Here you'd have a good chance of finding an apartment in a brownstone with access to a garden. Depending on how close you are to a subway station you're commute would be around 45 mins.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

I remember a while back when I posted (when trying to decide to accept offer), Tarrytown and other places on the Metro North line came up. I don't think it's our thing though, nice as it sounds. Riverdale/Forest Hills is probably about as far out as we would consider.

Our budget is 5000-6000 and definitely want 3 beds and outdoor space, may be able to push my husband to consider a garden flat or a large terrace/patio. Probably Manhattan is out?

Like the sound of the Bklyn places, 45 minutes is just about my limit in terms of commute
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You want to search out posts by Englishmum. She has posted loads of info on various areas in various threads, a lot of people commuting to the UN. Probably a good start using the advanced search.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LillyRobeson
I remember a while back when I posted (when trying to decide to accept offer), Tarrytown and other places on the Metro North line came up.
Probably me!

I don't think it's our thing though, nice as it sounds. Riverdale/Forest Hills is probably about as far out as we would consider
The only thing I'd say about Riverdale (not really knowing the area) is that if you think you'd be commuting on the Metro-North from it, checkout the schedules first as you might find that most if not all of the trains that serve it are stoppers so you might find the journey in will take as long as a non-stop service from somewhere further out like Tarrytown.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 8:45 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

My pseudo grandmother lives on the Upper East Side and it is definitely very family friendly, lots of parks (Central Park very close by), restaurants etc. We walk everywhere when we visit her, and it felt very safe.
Naomi.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all.

I wasn't all that keen on the UES - we stayed there during a visit recently to NYC. We can only afford what we want east of 2nd Av and I wasn't enthused. I really liked the UWS though even in the 100s plus and there's the express train from 96th St which would get me to the UN super quick - but UWS is even more $$$ then the UES! Also my husband isn't into city living, he wants a house and garden so we're looking for a compromise, from what I've been reading garden flats in our price range in decent parts of Manhattan are likely to be rodent infested

I've been researching Forest Hills in Queens and I think it might be a winner. Forest Hills Gardens looks fantastic, I love the whole garden suburb movement and I know they're great places to live in the UK like Hampstead Garden Suburb. Now I'm kicking myself for not having gone there when we visited as internet's one thing and actually walking around is another.

And $5000 will actually rent a whole house or a huge apartment with loads of amenities rather than a broom closet in Manhattan

Thank you all for all your help!!! It's so great to get this input form people who have been there, done that.