Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Nnobby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

My local Supermarket has a British Food section. They call it the "Middle East" section however. And I suppose they are right in an American kind of way.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
"if" you can find a butcher, they will prob make them for you.

If not, get some ground pork at Costco and have a go at making them. It kind of worked for me...still playing around with the seasonings.
I've been making my own, just without the casings...just leave them on a try to freeze to store them....seems to work quite well, though bit trickier in the summer when it was so humid.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

MattySD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nnobby
My local Supermarket has a British Food section. They call it the "Middle East" section however. And I suppose they are right in an American kind of way.
Middle Eastern stores are good for British stuff as they often like the same groceries as we do - digestive and Rich Tea biscuits and Vimto cordial are certainties and the aforementioned Quality Street at Xmas.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Our local Walmart is getting more UK foods noticed today they had scones in the Diary section and kerrygold butter.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by tallhair
Does anyone have tips on where to find British Sausages and other meats? Looking for some for making a full English breakfast. I'm in the St Louis Mo area, but on the Illinois side of the river.
do you have an ALdi? I have found them there in the past. Ours is about a 40 minute drive so I do not get there often.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Nnobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MattySD
Middle Eastern stores are good for British stuff as they often like the same groceries as we do - digestive and Rich Tea biscuits and Vimto cordial are certainties and the aforementioned Quality Street at Xmas.
Thanks for the tip re: Middle East stores. I am off to seek some out. I'm excited!
Old Nov 8th 2012, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tallhair
Does anyone have tips on where to find British Sausages and other meats? Looking for some for making a full English breakfast. I'm in the St Louis Mo area, but on the Illinois side of the river.
Williams pork (or british bacon) is the best place I've found on line for British meats. They cure pork using the Wiltshire cure method.
I treat us to a holiday pack every year, its about $100 but fills of the freezer for a while. The bacon and pork pies are spot on and the Lincolnshire and Cumberland sausages are good too.

http://www.britishbacon.com/

other than that I get get pretty much anything i want in the Phoenix metro area. Theres AJs fine foods, World cost plus market, most of the regular supermarkets and even a British grocery section at the codfather fish and chip shop (english owned).

The ony thing I can't find is proper pork scratchings. Hard ones that they sell in pubs back home, not these soft puffy pork cracking or whatever they call them. I've looked into making my own but have had no luck find pork skin. Any butcher in England would probably give it to you for free but i can't find anywhere here that will even sell me pork skin. Where do all the pigs get butchered that are sold in Phoenix i wonder?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
The ony thing I can't find is proper pork scratchings. Hard ones that they sell in pubs back home, not these soft puffy pork cracking or whatever they call them. I've looked into making my own but have had no luck find pork skin. Any butcher in England would probably give it to you for free but i can't find anywhere here that will even sell me pork skin. Where do all the pigs get butchered that are sold in Phoenix i wonder?
If you've got a Brazilian population around, you can get it in their grocery/butcher shops, the skin and sometimes the scratchings too, though tends to be with garlic and chillies.

Anyway, Wegmans, Hobnobs, Digestives going about double the cost of Ocean State, but the Jammy Dodgers were a couple bucks which was good.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 10:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Not UK, but some cheddar cheese from VT, Trader Joes had 3 year aged cheddar for $5 a pound I think it was, but anyway, all the blocks were in and around the $3.50 mark and it was really rather lovely.

Hell of a lot cheaper than most other grocery stores too for decent cheddar.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Not UK, but some cheddar cheese from VT, Trader Joes had 3 year aged cheddar for $5 a pound I think it was, but anyway, all the blocks were in and around the $3.50 mark and it was really rather lovely.

Hell of a lot cheaper than most other grocery stores too for decent cheddar.
You're a few months late with this info!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...postcount=1064
Old Nov 9th 2012, 3:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Guindalf
You're a few months late with this info!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...postcount=1064
They only started selling it a couple weeks ago in our local one :/

A few years back, they had a really awesome one that was a few years aged that was even cheaper from NH, but they stopped selling it when it went up in price a bit, even though it was still cheaper than anything else.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

shadowsedge is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by shadowsedge
Hi everybody, this looks like a good source of advice, so it'll be nice to talk to you all...I'll be looking for info regarding the age old story. Girlfriend in Texas, me in Nottingham. We've spent the last few months planning for me to move over to the US, which is plainly extremely difficult unless you are Simon Cowell or a protege of some kind. I on the other hand am merely a truck driver, and couldn't enter on a professional visa since I have no degree.
We plan to get married and live together with her two kids, however, we have now decided to settle in the UK. She has the advantage that her Mom is British having moved to the US 40 odd years ago as part of a nursing recruitment drive..and I have a daughter here in Wiltshire who I would rather be closer to.
I need to find out things like does she have dual citizenship..? Will that help? I've looked at family visitor visas in conjunction with plans to marrying and settling permanently but the Border Control website I find quite complex and hard to sift through, ...when we marry do her children have permission to stay? (they are under 18)...any advice on how to jump through hoops and do it right and make it as smooth as possible would be greatly appreciated.
However...I have been sending supplies over to my girlfriends family and discovered the frenzy that occurs on openng abox of british goodies like cola cubes, sherbert lemons, walkers crisps, cadburys, iced gems lol, McVities!
If anybody wants something drop me a line, if you can't find it you may aswell get it from the source lol
Old Nov 11th 2012, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

MattySD is an unknown quantity at this point

Fresh and Easy have just started selling some of Saag's range of sausages, including their "British Style Bangers", which aren't too bad. They have a nice flavour and thankfully the skins are nice and thin. As customary for speciality sausages over here they are already cooked but are pale and anaemic so need a good frying to improve the colour and taste.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 5:29 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Is it my imagination or has F&E become more "Americanized", they don't seem to carry back bacon anymore and they used to have Fox's biscuits once in awhile. I noticed a few other things seem to have gone missing. E.g. pigs in a blanket aka sausage rolls, although they only ever seemed to have those around Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 5:35 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Is it my imagination or has F&E become more "Americanized", they don't seem to carry back bacon anymore and they used to have Fox's biscuits once in awhile. I noticed a few other things seem to have gone missing. E.g. pigs in a blanket aka sausage rolls, although they only ever seemed to have those around Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Mine seems to be getting more English Still have plenty of back bacon and foxes biscuits, but they keep adding more little bits every month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.