Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:41 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by fsm
Yes it is, I have attached the website so you can browse, they have an ingredient list & nutriton info for all the products.

I wondered in on Saturday and now go on a regular basis, did not care for the hamburger buns, everything else that I have tried I like.

http://www.breadsmith.com/locations/fortmill.html
Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Peperami, well you can find Mexican or Brazilian spiced snacks, something like Chipotle Fire Stix, not the same, but better than those Slim Jims which aren't very hot and a little hollow.

Yorkshire tea, Amazon, but sometimes can be found in The Christmas Tree shop, though they always have the Life Guard tea, which is good.

Bread, Trader Joes or Wholefoods for decent stuff in a grocery store, other wise check the local bakeries. Hannafords tend to stock bread from local bakeries though, so that's worth checking out if you have one of those grocery stores, but it's all Brazilian and Italian stuff, which isn't bad though.

Originally Posted by Infowarrior
Hello chaps.

I've just received my green card and will be moving to CA (bay area) in a month or so with my lovely US wife. I've lived there before for 3 months so I have a bit of an understanding on the things available in the grocery stores etc. One thing I could never find anywhere is a decent equivalent to the Peperami! I have a bit of an addiction to them I guess. Anyone have any ideas?

Also the only tea that I will drink in the UK is Yorkshire Tea. The Liptons brand stuff I found in the states shouldn't even be called tea to be honest. Anyone know of a good strong teabag or should I just get my mother to send it over?

EDIT: Oh no! I just found a thread on this very subject! There is NO peperami equivalent in the USA and I cannot import any as it's apparently not allowed!! Tell me this is not true!

EDIT 2: Just curious, why is American bread so crappy? As in the stuff you get from the Safeway. Do you have to go to a bakery to get decent bread in the USA?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:27 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Hello chaps.

I've just received my green card and will be moving to CA (bay area) in a month or so with my lovely US wife. I've lived there before for 3 months so I have a bit of an understanding on the things available in the grocery stores etc. One thing I could never find anywhere is a decent equivalent to the Peperami! I have a bit of an addiction to them I guess. Anyone have any ideas?

Also the only tea that I will drink in the UK is Yorkshire Tea. The Liptons brand stuff I found in the states shouldn't even be called tea to be honest. Anyone know of a good strong teabag or should I just get my mother to send it over?

EDIT: Oh no! I just found a thread on this very subject! There is NO peperami equivalent in the USA and I cannot import any as it's apparently not allowed!! Tell me this is not true!

EDIT 2: Just curious, why is American bread so crappy? As in the stuff you get from the Safeway. Do you have to go to a bakery to get decent bread in the USA?
Bread is frequently chock full of sugar (molasses, honey, HFCS etc) - there are plenty of small bakeries around, just have to search them out.

http://www.yousaytomato.biz/ - should be able to get you most of what you need in SF.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Hello chaps.

I buy mine here:
http://www.greatharvest.com/
Yorkshire tea I often see in regular supermarkets along with British Blend Tetley.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Infowarrior will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
Peperami, well you can find Mexican or Brazilian spiced snacks, something like Chipotle Fire Stix, not the same, but better than those Slim Jims which aren't very hot and a little hollow.

Yorkshire tea, Amazon, but sometimes can be found in The Christmas Tree shop, though they always have the Life Guard tea, which is good.

Bread, Trader Joes or Wholefoods for decent stuff in a grocery store, other wise check the local bakeries. Hannafords tend to stock bread from local bakeries though, so that's worth checking out if you have one of those grocery stores, but it's all Brazilian and Italian stuff, which isn't bad though.
Thanks Bob, I've found that I can get most of what I will crave, even Irn Bru and Lucozade through Amazon. I think that being the case I may finally get over my Peperami addiction. I've never really been a fan of pork pies, cornish pasties and other standard English stuff like that so I think this move is going to work out just fine!

And yes, those Slim Jim things are disgusting, they taste really cheap and not even like meat. Such a weird consistency.

Thank you everyone for the help
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Infowarrior will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Bread is frequently chock full of sugar (molasses, honey, HFCS etc) - there are plenty of small bakeries around, just have to search them out.

http://www.yousaytomato.biz/ - should be able to get you most of what you need in SF.
Yes, I remember being in the Campbell Safeway store checking out the bread. Basically nothing fresh, just pre-sliced tiny loaves that were always stale. Mind you I was on company expenses at the time so I mostly just ate at restaurants every night, I didn't go to the trouble of seeking out a solution to the bread issue while I was there.

My American wife basically dislikes almost everything about England but loves the fact you can just pop into Morrisons and buy bread cooked right there and then, sometimes still warm from the oven!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:10 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I remember being in the Campbell Safeway store checking out the bread. Basically nothing fresh, just pre-sliced tiny loaves that were always stale. Mind you I was on company expenses at the time so I mostly just ate at restaurants every night, I didn't go to the trouble of seeking out a solution to the bread issue while I was there.

My American wife basically dislikes almost everything about England but loves the fact you can just pop into Morrisons and buy bread cooked right there and then, sometimes still warm from the oven!
We have many stores in this area where they bake the bread in store, the problem is not buying it everytime you go in and they are just putting it on the shelf.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ok not English, but discovered that a new Aldi grocery store has opened up within bothering distance, which is quite nice as it's much better than Price Chopper etc for fresh stuff.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:46 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Ok not English, but discovered that a new Aldi grocery store has opened up within bothering distance, which is quite nice as it's much better than Price Chopper etc for fresh stuff.
Aldi have great bargins.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:55 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Aldi have great bargins.
I see Fresh and Easy open in your area today. I've been down to the one in San Jose a couple of times now, I used to shop with them all the time in LA.

They sell back bacon for a start off
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky
I see Fresh and Easy open in your area today. I've been down to the one in San Jose a couple of times now, I used to shop with them all the time in LA.

We have one here in Modesto just opened I keep meaning to go in, are they cheap I have heard they like a Winco!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:49 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
We have one here in Modesto just opened I keep meaning to go in, are they cheap I have heard they like a Winco!
I don't know what a Winco is Yes, they are cheap, I like them they have some different things in to Safeways/Nob Hill... and the English stuff they carry is really cheap compared to the English stores. Bought some Bisto at the weekend for $1.99
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:01 pm

I don't know what a Winco is Yes, they are cheap, I like them they have some different things in to Safeways/Nob Hill... and the English stuff they carry is really cheap compared to the English stores. Bought some Bisto at the weekend for $1.99
WOW!! Wil head up there tomorrow less then 5mins from my house
I paid I think it was $4.99 for Bisto in Raleys.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:24 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Wish you had not told me that as I wished more places here sold it, rather than the South African store I have to go to.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Is there such a thing as Long Life Milk in the US? Ive come across soya milk long life and goats milk but not good old ordinary semi skimmed milk! Odd I know but I really like it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.