Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Mar 14th 2011, 12:07 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Lets bump this too many nice folk asking where to buy grub
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:33 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsm
Yikes I pay $2.69 at Trader Joes.
YAY look what I found today apparently they had been out of stock but indeed $2.69
Attached Thumbnails UK Foods in the US Share your finds!-poppys-weetabix.jpg  
Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:52 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
YAY look what I found today apparently they had been out of stock but indeed $2.69
Old Mar 20th 2011, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

I have found my local Wegmans www.wegmans.com a great supermarket with a great selection of British food at a reasonable price, compared to many of the other places in NOVA. I like the British pantry but it is sooooo overpriced. I find many mushy peas, canned food, malt vinegar, chocolate, sweets, curry sauces and the like, cheaper at Wegmans, some at Giant, Safeway and other stores rather than online. I make my own fish n chips and Cornish Pasties though. Nothing like homemade.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:51 am
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE
I have found my local Wegmans www.wegmans.com a great supermarket with a great selection of British food at a reasonable price, compared to many of the other places in NOVA. I like the British pantry but it is sooooo overpriced. I find many mushy peas, canned food, malt vinegar, chocolate, sweets, curry sauces and the like, cheaper at Wegmans, some at Giant, Safeway and other stores rather than online. I make my own fish n chips and Cornish Pasties though. Nothing like homemade.

You have made my day Julierose. When I emigrate (in a few months I hope!), I'll be near the British Pantry, $10 for a bottle of HP, no thanks! But they do sell Black Pudding though ...

I've googled, and my nearest Wegmans is only 30 miles away

Last edited by Brucky; Mar 20th 2011 at 9:08 am.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 12:18 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Brucky

You have made my day Julierose. When I emigrate (in a few months I hope!), I'll be near the British Pantry, $10 for a bottle of HP, no thanks! But they do sell Black Pudding though ...

Wegmans is a great shop - their fresh and prepared foods are very good
Old Mar 20th 2011, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

If you ask the manager at your nearest Wegmans they will buy in black pudding for you. Winchester is very nice. The Outlet Mall is not too far from you either. Your local Safeway, Harris Teeter and Giant will all have British goods. Wegmans is my favorite. Like I said, I rarely go to the British Pantry - just too pricey - apart from Easter for the British Easter Eggs for my kids.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:29 pm

Do a search for World Market in the area
Old Mar 20th 2011, 3:20 pm

ALERT
Post 31 http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...70#post9252270

Jacobs Crackers on sale.
Thanks Mandy
Old Mar 20th 2011, 4:49 pm
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Do a search for World Market in the area
Originally Posted by JULIEROSE
If you ask the manager at your nearest Wegmans they will buy in black pudding for you. Winchester is very nice. The Outlet Mall is not too far from you either. Your local Safeway, Harris Teeter and Giant will all have British goods. Wegmans is my favorite. Like I said, I rarely go to the British Pantry - just too pricey - apart from Easter for the British Easter Eggs for my kids.
Originally Posted by White-ishRose
Wegmans is a great shop - their fresh and prepared foods are very good
Thanks!!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Infowarrior will become famous soon enough

Hello chaps.

I've just received my green card and will be moving to CA (bay area) in a month or so with my lovely US wife. I've lived there before for 3 months so I have a bit of an understanding on the things available in the grocery stores etc. One thing I could never find anywhere is a decent equivalent to the Peperami! I have a bit of an addiction to them I guess. Anyone have any ideas?

Also the only tea that I will drink in the UK is Yorkshire Tea. The Liptons brand stuff I found in the states shouldn't even be called tea to be honest. Anyone know of a good strong teabag or should I just get my mother to send it over?

EDIT: Oh no! I just found a thread on this very subject! There is NO peperami equivalent in the USA and I cannot import any as it's apparently not allowed!! Tell me this is not true!

EDIT 2: Just curious, why is American bread so crappy? As in the stuff you get from the Safeway. Do you have to go to a bakery to get decent bread in the USA?

Last edited by Infowarrior; Mar 21st 2011 at 1:47 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:58 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Infowarrior
Hello chaps.

I've just received my green card and will be moving to CA (bay area) in a month or so with my lovely US wife. I've lived there before for 3 months so I have a bit of an understanding on the things available in the grocery stores etc. One thing I could never find anywhere is a decent equivalent to the Peperami! I have a bit of an addiction to them I guess. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT 2: Just curious, why is American bread so crappy? As in the stuff you get from the Safeway. Do you have to go to a bakery to get decent bread in the USA?
Hi and Inforwarrier,

Welcome to BE.

Horses for courses I suppose. Perhaps Americans think our bread is crappy

But yes, the bread takes some getting used to. You will probably find somewhere to find some bread, although it may take a while to hit on the right spot for you. I get some nice bread from our local Super Target.

I've never come across a bakery down south though, (I'm in NC) but maybe they have them farther up north.

Anyway I hope you are enjoying the site and if you get stuck on anything please don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Sue
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:42 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sue
But yes, the bread takes some getting used to. You will probably find somewhere to find some bread, although it may take a while to hit on the right spot for you. I get some nice bread from our local Super Target.

I've never come across a bakery down south though, (I'm in NC) but maybe they have them farther up north.

Sue

I was wondering if you had tried Breadsmith in Fort Mill, the stuff they make actually tastes like bread and you can pronounce the ingredidents.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:02 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsm
Sue

I was wondering if you had tried Breadsmith in Fort Mill, the stuff they make actually tastes like bread and you can pronounce the ingredidents.
No I haven't, is that the place on the left before you get to Baxter village?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:30 pm
fsm
So I am where?

Originally Posted by Sue
No I haven't, is that the place on the left before you get to Baxter village?
Yes it is, I have attached the website so you can browse, they have an ingredient list & nutriton info for all the products.

I wondered in on Saturday and now go on a regular basis, did not care for the hamburger buns, everything else that I have tried I like.

http://www.breadsmith.com/locations/fortmill.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.