Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:32 am
Just Joined

RuggedRascal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Don't get me started on cornish pasties... After reading your post, it made me realise how much I miss them!
I'm sure they are exceptionally rare as most things with pastry on them here are sweet. If you find them, pleeeeeease let me know lol.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Cornish Pasties anyone ever seen them here can't say I have but only just started looking!
I have but can't for the life of me seen where...could have been in Toronto...you can find more Brit stuff there.

There's a recipe or two or five in the Recipe thread in The Lounge...you'll probably need to use the Search Function to locate them. Yeah OK...OK you're like me when it comes to that mystery room...THE KITCHEN.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:34 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have but can't for the life of me seen where...could have been in Toronto...you can find more Brit stuff there.

There's a recipe or two or five in the Recipe thread in The Lounge...you'll probably need to use the Search Function to locate them. Yeah OK...OK you're like me when it comes to that mystery room...THE KITCHEN.
MAKE THEM!!!!!!! Hell no you got that right I love the kitchen but I ain't wasting my time on something that I can buy.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

MAKE THEM!!!!!!! Hell no you got that right I love the kitchen but I ain't wasting my time on something that I can buy.
A fellow Brit after my own heart.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:37 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

A fellow Brit after my own heart.
You got that right mate
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

You got that right mate
We're not having a kitchen in our next house because it's a waste of space.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:43 am

We're not having a kitchen in our next house because it's a waste of space.
Great idea lets start a trend.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 4:46 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Cornish Pasties anyone ever seen them here can't say I have but only just started looking!
Here in AZ we have a Cornish pasty company

http://www.cornishpastyco.com/

By the way no relation to the owner

Last edited by AZ_Alba; Oct 7th 2010 at 4:49 am.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

We have so many threads on where to find certain brands of food from back home in the England...so I thought it might be nice to try and keep it all under 1 thread and add our finds/discount/offers that show up and share them with each other!

So today I was in Safeway, and maybe some of you knew this but it was news to me that they had a British munchie aisle.. so see pics below and have a look in your local store.
Interesting that many of the products are more expensive than the same items in Australia, which is usually more expensive. Marmite at - what is that - $7.19 a jar? Now the currencies are almost the same that works out to about $7.31 AUD, but here it's $4.95, and other items the same. I guess there is more demand in Aus due to higher nos of Brits.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 5:13 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Bit far for most folk to travel to Garys......but Safeway is a National store so will accomodate the needs of more expats.
I don't think all (or even many) Safeways have a Brit-food section - not seen one at my local shop (which is 1/2 a block away). That said I might check tomorrow incase its hidden somewhere.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

The supermarkets around here have no British sections, they have a few things that are scattered in different places. I would love the selections I see in the pics here. I think I'll make a list from them and put in a suggestion for a new ethnic section.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Not Cornish Pasties, but a great recipe for Corned Beef Pasties. The advice of liberal lashings of Worcestershire Sauce is spot on, but I also bung in a spot of tomato puree too. They went down a storm at our BritNic in June, but were met with extreme caution at an all American bbq we took them to

Corned Beef Pasties
Old Oct 7th 2010, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Interesting that many of the products are more expensive than the same items in Australia, which is usually more expensive. Marmite at - what is that - $7.19 a jar? Now the currencies are almost the same that works out to about $7.31 AUD, but here it's $4.95, and other items the same. I guess there is more demand in Aus due to higher nos of Brits.
I think its more Safeway they are very over priced in the US.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

My 'local ' Mejier in Indiana has a British section ,SO expensive ,dusty and stale

I am really glad to be returning to the UK in 2012 ! lol

Happy though ,for those of you that are finding things you enjoy
Old Oct 7th 2010, 3:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
Here in AZ we have a Cornish pasty company

http://www.cornishpastyco.com/

By the way no relation to the owner

The menu sounds good. How do they taste?

I thought I was odd taking pictures of the kids and I shopping in Tesco last summer, I haven't started taking pics in Safeway yet.
I've seen those isles in most Safeway we go in. We stand and look and rarely buy, we usually follow up with a trip to Stockton to the Cost Plus World Market, I found with sales it's cheaper and fresher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.