Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods at regular stores

UK Foods at regular stores

Old Mar 30th 2004, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by sibsie
Thanks for the kettle tips. I'm another who didn't have a clue about Amazon selling other things.

I've been trying to decide which breadmaker to buy from Amazon as I really cannot get used to what the US call bread! I looked in WalMart and Target but there was hardly any choice, whereas Amazon have quite a few, including brands that I recognise from the UK

I dread to think how much money I have spent with Amazon over the years, it all started with books (the choice in that department on any given subject is quite amazing!) and cd's, that has now progressed to digital camera, video, DVD player and kitchen equipment!

Other traders advertise on Amazon, which gives a quick price comparison, and people sell second hand things as well (much the same as ebay).

When I was in the UK I used to buy the weekly groceries online with Sainsbury's, which ended up with my hardly ever needing to go out shopping. I really miss Sainsbury's online shopping in the US
Old Mar 30th 2004, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Bed Bath and Beyond definately has electric kettles. We had one on our wedding registry there. No bugger bought us one though, hence the christmas present I spoke about earlier.

I looked in Bed Bath & Beyond too, and they do have a better choice than my local WalMart and Target. Or maybe it wasn't so much better choice, but more a case of brands I recognised!

Does anyone else find themselves reluctant to buy brands in the US they don't recognise, or is that just my quirk?
Old Mar 30th 2004, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
LOL My pleasure Roger - couldn't keep these goodies to myself!

No worries about clearing the shelf though, I have one packet left in the freezer and Giant are sure to restock again, (what stars)!

Enjoy your scrumptious crumpets.

Makes note to self to wander around Trader Joes in search of more yummy stuff for future Brit food fanatics

14 packets left and going down rapidly !!
Old Mar 30th 2004, 1:36 pm
Carrot Cruncher

pilgrim22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oops, my kettle is an Oster Cordless, not a Proctor Silex as mentioned earlier. My coffeepot is a P-S. That'll teach me to skive off at the office to post on this forum! I still think I got it at BB&B or LnT.

Enough of the TLA's!

I also recommend Amazon.com. They also sell food.... dunno about their Brit selections. Only once had a problem with an order, and they fixed it right away. We ordered a couple DVDs which never showed up, we called them and they said the movies were in UPS La-La-Land (their quote), and they sent us another pair. The original pair showed up eventually! We now have two copies of Blair Witch Project, can't remember the other one, it was a long time ago.

btw I'm not terribly fond of UPS for delivery purposes, but now we're really getting off the subject.

p22
Old Mar 31st 2004, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Heather142
Hi Suzique,
I have been looking for a rotary washing line for weeks; where did you find yours?

Heather

Hi Heather,
I finally found mine in the BX (military) catalog. cost $110 & S&H but worth every penny.
I spent weeks looking for one on the net without any luck.
My family who are visiting for UK were going to bring me one when I found this in the catalog out of the blue.
Sorry if you aren't military I probaly haven't been any help but I'll keep looking for you.
Suzieque
Old Mar 31st 2004, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

Originally posted by 207lonsdale
I've been trying to decide which breadmaker to buy from Amazon as I really cannot get used to what the US call bread! I looked in WalMart and Target but there was hardly any choice, whereas Amazon have quite a few, including brands that I recognise from the UK
I got this Panasonic bread machine from Fry's - although Amazon have it too.

Fry's are great - they have all sorts of stuff - kettles, bread machines, all manner of appliances and computer stuff. I bought our washer, dryer, TV, DVD player, liquidiser, microwave and numerous other bits and pieces there.

Cheers,

Pat
Old Mar 31st 2004, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Heather142 will become famous soon enoughHeather142 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by suzieque
Hi Heather,
I finally found mine in the BX (military) catalog. cost $110 & S&H but worth every penny.
I spent weeks looking for one on the net without any luck.
My family who are visiting for UK were going to bring me one when I found this in the catalog out of the blue.
Sorry if you aren't military I probaly haven't been any help but I'll keep looking for you.
Suzieque

Thanks Suzique,
Yes, you completely lost me with the BX catalogue ... I am now thinking that I might go and get one here and take the chance that customs do not check my container when I ship things over. What do you reckon???
Heather
Old Mar 31st 2004, 11:25 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

BX? I thought it was called the PX, (short for Postal Exchange as it was originally known as).

Oh, and Roger, they went and replaced all those crumpets you nabbed from the shelves of my local Giant with Muffins!!! Bloody plonkers! LOL I think they must've over-ordered! D'uh!!
Old Mar 31st 2004, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

BX? I thought it was called the PX, (short for Postal Exchange as it was originally known as).

Oh, and Roger, they went and replaced all those crumpets you nabbed from the shelves of my local Giant with Muffins!!! Bloody plonkers! LOL I think they must've over-ordered! D'uh!!
Can you keep me informed please, I'm down to my last 11 packets )
Old Mar 31st 2004, 3:02 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

LOL Sure Roger; if they've not sorted out the crumpet deficit by next week then I'll tell 'em to get their arses in gear!
Old Mar 31st 2004, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

LOL Sure Roger; if they've not sorted out the crumpet deficit by next week then I'll tell 'em to get their arses in gear!

And while you're at it, get them to order and stock, Wall's or Richmond Pork sausages
Old Mar 31st 2004, 4:10 pm
Former Blonde

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
And while you're at it, get them to order and stock, Wall's or Richmond Pork sausages
Sheesh, I wish they would - I was craving a decent banger the other week and looked all over the store. Damn, even some of those cheap frozen sausages would go down a treat right now - mmmmmm - with mash and onion gravy...! *insert drooling smiley*
Old Mar 31st 2004, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sheesh, I wish they would - I was craving a decent banger the other week and looked all over the store. Damn, even some of those cheap frozen sausages would go down a treat right now - mmmmmm - with mash and onion gravy...! *insert drooling smiley*

If you can be bothered to drive to Fredericksburg, there's an Irish shop in Caroline Street that sells Irish Pork sausages, and very nice they are too, but $8 a pack !
Old Mar 31st 2004, 5:21 pm
Former Blonde

Blimey! Hubby didn't want to go up to Towson the other day to visit the Apple Store, (and we weren't that far away, in Baltimore, at the time) somehow I don't think he'd be up for driving to Fredricksburg just for a packet of sausages! LOL

Dunno though, maybe if I beg and plead...
Old Mar 31st 2004, 5:39 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
You could put together an order from Williams in Lumberton, NC. Their sausages are cheaper than $8.00 but you'll have to pay P&P of course.

http://www.britishbacon.com/bangers.htm

Sounds like you have the storage space so a big order might be worthwhile.

Williams also produce British style bacon, ham and pork (for roasts).

I'm supposed to have a coworker pick me up some Williams meat products when she's in Lumberton soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.