Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uk firefighter

Uk firefighter

Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Mrmister is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk firefighter

Hi everyone, I'm new here and after a bit of advice. I'm thinking of moving to the USA, California to be exact. I'm a firefighter in the uk and was wondering if there are any of you who know if I could transfer to the USA as a firefighter? I know that the USA fire service is different to the uk I.E ladder coys, etc. I'm sure I heard of someone doing this a while ago but I may be mistaken. Has anyone here known or done a transfer of this kind? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jamie
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Uk firefighter

Originally Posted by Mrmister
Hi everyone, I'm new here and after a bit of advice. I'm thinking of moving to the USA, California to be exact. I'm a firefighter in the uk and was wondering if there are any of you who know if I could transfer to the USA as a firefighter? I know that the USA fire service is different to the uk I.E ladder coys, etc. I'm sure I heard of someone doing this a while ago but I may be mistaken. Has anyone here known or done a transfer of this kind? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jamie
Are you a US Citizen?

Or is your spouse?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Jamie
Could you work as a firefighter in the US? I should think the answer is probably yes.

Would your skills as a firefighter allow you to immigrate to the US? Undoubtedly no.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Realistically, unless you're either born in Ireland, married to a USC or a USC, chances are slim to none of getting a visa to come here based on being a firefighter.

If you did manage to get here, ability to work would depend on the state and what they require for qualifications.

Welcome to BE though and good luck!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Jamie
Just curious, what makes you want to be a firefighter in the USA, specifically in California?

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:14 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in California with a few firefighter friends and there are an awful lot of unemployed firefighters about now. Lots of departments cut staff and even closed stations.
Friends Ds is a new firefighter and works another job to support himself and pay for his car payment. He only get a few hours a week at the station and they are now saying, anyone without a paramedic qualification too won't stand a chance at work soon, so this coming school year he's doing his paramedic training.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Mrmister is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the response. I'm not a US citizen and neither is my wife so that's a no go. I am an electrician by trade if that would help?! I have visited ca a bit and loved it, iv also taken an interest in the American firefighters techniques and jobs they attend, would love to live in a beautiful place and carry on my dream job.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:04 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Not really gonna happen.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:17 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome,

Here are the two major problems: there are thousands of unemployed firemen in the USA and any government agency who wants to hire you has to say, with a straight face, that they cannot find a qualified American to be a firemen so they have to bring one in from overseas (a claim that even if you got them to make the US government would likely reject). Turn it the other way--in the age of austerity in the UK and massive redundancies, which fire brigade is going to import, at a substantial cost, firemen from Australia and Canada rather than hiring someone who is a UK citizen?

If you really want to come, you could try some of the following:

Study at a US university (expensive and you cannot work).
Develop a hyper-specialized fire fighting skill, such as oil platform fire fighting and then try to get a job with a multinational oil company.
Get a university degree in the sciences or engineering and come over with a different trade (think computer programming or engineering).
Get a new wife who is a US citizen.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Good luck.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the response. I'm not a US citizen and neither is my wife so that's a no go. I am an electrician by trade if that would help?! I have visited ca a bit and loved it, iv also taken an interest in the American firefighters techniques and jobs they attend, would love to live in a beautiful place and carry on my dream job.
England is a beautiful place.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
And not quite as in as much a financial mess as California
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:44 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It is. Just a shame the weather sucks!
Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:11 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, no hurricanes, tornados, dust storms, 6 ft snow difts, 105f scorchers,

I don't know how they stand it.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Colorado is probably looking for firefighters about now.

Jim.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 2:46 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Our firefighters are all unpaid volunteers......mate who was an ex-seafarer (already trained) joined up and even had to pay for his own training/conversion and buy his own uniform and equipment. And he had to pass the paramedics exams as the fire truck normally gets to any of the shouts ahead of the ambulances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.