British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Uk firefighter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-firefighter-762986/)

Mrmister Jun 26th 2012 9:23 pm

Uk firefighter

Hi everyone, I'm new here and after a bit of advice. I'm thinking of moving to the USA, California to be exact. I'm a firefighter in the uk and was wondering if there are any of you who know if I could transfer to the USA as a firefighter? I know that the USA fire service is different to the uk I.E ladder coys, etc. I'm sure I heard of someone doing this a while ago but I may be mistaken. Has anyone here known or done a transfer of this kind? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jamie

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 26th 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Uk firefighter

Originally Posted by Mrmister (Post 10140798)
Hi everyone, I'm new here and after a bit of advice. I'm thinking of moving to the USA, California to be exact. I'm a firefighter in the uk and was wondering if there are any of you who know if I could transfer to the USA as a firefighter? I know that the USA fire service is different to the uk I.E ladder coys, etc. I'm sure I heard of someone doing this a while ago but I may be mistaken. Has anyone here known or done a transfer of this kind? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jamie

Are you a US Citizen?

Or is your spouse?

fatbrit Jun 26th 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks
Jamie

Could you work as a firefighter in the US? I should think the answer is probably yes.

Would your skills as a firefighter allow you to immigrate to the US? Undoubtedly no.

Bob Jun 26th 2012 10:44 pm

Realistically, unless you're either born in Ireland, married to a USC or a USC, chances are slim to none of getting a visa to come here based on being a firefighter.

If you did manage to get here, ability to work would depend on the state and what they require for qualifications.

Welcome to BE though and good luck!

Noorah101 Jun 26th 2012 11:04 pm

Thanks
Jamie

Just curious, what makes you want to be a firefighter in the USA, specifically in California?

Rene

Mummy in the foothills Jun 26th 2012 11:14 pm

I'm in California with a few firefighter friends and there are an awful lot of unemployed firefighters about now. Lots of departments cut staff and even closed stations.
Friends Ds is a new firefighter and works another job to support himself and pay for his car payment. He only get a few hours a week at the station and they are now saying, anyone without a paramedic qualification too won't stand a chance at work soon, so this coming school year he's doing his paramedic training.

Mrmister Jun 27th 2012 12:01 am

Thanks for the response. I'm not a US citizen and neither is my wife so that's a no go. I am an electrician by trade if that would help?! I have visited ca a bit and loved it, iv also taken an interest in the American firefighters techniques and jobs they attend, would love to live in a beautiful place and carry on my dream job.

Manc Jun 27th 2012 12:04 am

Not really gonna happen.

penguinsix Jun 27th 2012 12:17 am

Hi and welcome,

Here are the two major problems: there are thousands of unemployed firemen in the USA and any government agency who wants to hire you has to say, with a straight face, that they cannot find a qualified American to be a firemen so they have to bring one in from overseas (a claim that even if you got them to make the US government would likely reject). Turn it the other way--in the age of austerity in the UK and massive redundancies, which fire brigade is going to import, at a substantial cost, firemen from Australia and Canada rather than hiring someone who is a UK citizen?

If you really want to come, you could try some of the following:

Study at a US university (expensive and you cannot work).
Develop a hyper-specialized fire fighting skill, such as oil platform fire fighting and then try to get a job with a multinational oil company.
Get a university degree in the sciences or engineering and come over with a different trade (think computer programming or engineering).
Get a new wife who is a US citizen.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Good luck.

Jerseygirl Jun 27th 2012 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Mrmister (Post 10141021)
Thanks for the response. I'm not a US citizen and neither is my wife so that's a no go. I am an electrician by trade if that would help?! I have visited ca a bit and loved it, iv also taken an interest in the American firefighters techniques and jobs they attend, would love to live in a beautiful place and carry on my dream job.

England is a beautiful place. :)

Giantaxe Jun 27th 2012 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10141053)

And not quite as in as much a financial mess as California ;)

Bink Jun 27th 2012 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10141053)

It is. Just a shame the weather sucks! :rofl:

Manc Jun 27th 2012 1:11 am

yeah, no hurricanes, tornados, dust storms, 6 ft snow difts, 105f scorchers,

I don't know how they stand it.

Scouse Express Jun 27th 2012 1:50 am

Colorado is probably looking for firefighters about now.

Jim.

Yorkieabroad Jun 27th 2012 2:46 am

Our firefighters are all unpaid volunteers......mate who was an ex-seafarer (already trained) joined up and even had to pay for his own training/conversion and buy his own uniform and equipment. And he had to pass the paramedics exams as the fire truck normally gets to any of the shouts ahead of the ambulances.