Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK electrical items in the US?

UK electrical items in the US?

Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:06 pm
Gravity Always Wins

a lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant future
Default UK electrical items in the US?

We're due to move to the US soon (visa permitting!) and were wondering if electrical items from the UK will work in the US?

I understand there's an issue with TVs.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:10 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK electrical items in the US?

Originally posted by a lad insane
We're due to move to the US soon (visa permitting!) and were wondering if electrical items from the UK will work in the US?

I understand there's an issue with TVs.
with a lot of faffing about with adapters and converters, yes it is technically possible.

my advice is flog your UK stuff on Ebay and buy new when you get here.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:28 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Originally posted by manc1976
with a lot of faffing about with adapters and converters, yes it is technically possible.

my advice is flog your UK stuff on Ebay and buy new when you get here.
Unless you have a really nice kettle.... okay, lets not go there
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:38 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by James Box
Unless you have a really nice kettle.... okay, lets not go there
I remember one guy who asked if he could bring his sky satelitte dish and box with him and would he be able to pick up Sky.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I remember one guy who asked if he could bring his sky digital box with him and would he be able to pick up Sky.

I only wish!!!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 10:27 pm
Visa in hand!!!

sohosid is an unknown quantity at this point

What about amps and speakers??? Mine are pretty expensive, and I don't really want to flog them......but how much would it cost to ship them???? (The amp is very heavy).....in fact, at what point does the cost of shipping stuff out-weigh buying new?
Old Jul 17th 2004, 4:58 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sohosid
What about amps and speakers??? Mine are pretty expensive, and I don't really want to flog them......but how much would it cost to ship them???? (The amp is very heavy).....in fact, at what point does the cost of shipping stuff out-weigh buying new?
Hi.
We live in San Francisco and moved here last Nov. My husband left all his amps at home and plays his guitars through the computer which is the same one as we had in the UK. It works with a simple travel plug! I think he has had to buy a little bit of paraphenalia to be able to play but it seems to be working out ok. When you say amps, what kind of stuff do you want to bring?
Old Jul 17th 2004, 1:10 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

i shipped over my bang olufsen system which cost about $6k and got transformers for it - it works fine

that and my espresso machine and some other bits and bobs cost about 400 quid

well worth it in my book
Old Jul 17th 2004, 1:43 pm
Visa in hand!!!

sohosid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by BritGuyTN
i shipped over my bang olufsen system which cost about $6k and got transformers for it - it works fine

that and my espresso machine and some other bits and bobs cost about 400 quid

well worth it in my book
Cheers - that's kind of the info I wanted!

Mike.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

my daughter aged 12 is visiting for the summer and shes just asked me if she can bring her PS2 and dance mat ? any ideas ?

Jan
Old Jul 18th 2004, 4:39 am
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road

I remember one guy who asked if he could bring his sky satelitte dish and box with him and would he be able to pick up Sky.
LOL.....

Only electrical item I brought over from the UK was my Marshall guitar amp. I just had to take it to bits and re-wire the transformer.

Other than that you run into all sorts of incompatability issues:
50HZ / 60HZ
120V / 240V
PAL / NTSC
Old Jul 18th 2004, 1:19 pm
Gravity Always Wins

a lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant future

Sounds like a nightmare.

I will probably sell my guitar amp, not sure about my PC.
I take it UK TVs, videos etc are no use in the US?

Does anyone know about PS2 compatibility? I would like to bring it but I'm not sure if it will work in the US.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 1:46 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know about PS2 compatibility? I would like to bring it but I'm not sure if it will work in the US.
I assume you bought the PS2 in the UK? It will work in the US if you buy a voltage convertor but you're going to have the PAL/NTSC thing to deal with when you plug it into a US TV.

Also, you'll be able to play the games you currently own but you won't be able to buy new PS2 games in the US as they'll all be NTSC games and won't work on your PAL PS2 - unless you get your PS2 chipped.

I have a NTSC PS2 which I used in the UK with a voltage convertor (my TV was fine with the NTSC signal). I considered getting it chipped to play UK games but decided that I didn't want the insides buggered about with.

Do a search on this forum for other suggestions - recently someone decided to bring a UK VCR and TV over as they had a big stash of kids videos.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 6:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Each electrical item you have should have a label that tells you the range of voltage it will accept.

Most desktop PCs have a dual voltage power supply - you need to open up the PC and flick a little switch on the power supply. Then you only need a plug adaptor.

LCD screens may automatically be dual voltage - check the label.

In general it's more feasible to buy voltage transformers for low wattage items (usually things that don't heat up). And it may be easier to buy the adaptors you need in the UK.

Jeremy

Sounds like a nightmare.

I will probably sell my guitar amp, not sure about my PC.
I take it UK TVs, videos etc are no use in the US?

Old Jul 18th 2004, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

So that looks like a NO then ..... I suppose i could buy her a PS2 over here, but not sure about the dance mat thing ! Oh well i'll break the news gently to her

Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.