Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK electrical items in the US?

UK electrical items in the US?

Old Jul 19th 2004, 12:49 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jan. You can buy dance mats in Best Buy too!

My son uses his PS2 with his UK TV using a step up transformer. I bought it in the UK before he arrived here. He also plays his bass guitar & amp using the transformer and also his small practice amp and electric guitar.... not all at the same time of course! The wattage (?) it carries is 500 amps but you can get them much bigger than that. It seems to do the job for us.

Maggie

Originally posted by jan_michigan
So that looks like a NO then ..... I suppose i could buy her a PS2 over here, but not sure about the dance mat thing ! Oh well i'll break the news gently to her

Jan
Old Jul 21st 2004, 3:26 pm
"Ted You Big Bollocks"

justboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jan_michigan
So that looks like a NO then ..... I suppose i could buy her a PS2 over here, but not sure about the dance mat thing ! Oh well i'll break the news gently to her

Jan
The PS2 is a very big NO NO....i took mine hoping that if i got aq convertor it would work...not realizing that i would then need a convertor for the TV aswel.....as for the dance mat.....i have seen them in stores. So you should be able to pick one up easy!
Old Jul 21st 2004, 5:28 pm
Can't Wait To Get There

pedro66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by justboy
The PS2 is a very big NO NO....i took mine hoping that if i got aq convertor it would work...not realizing that i would then need a convertor for the TV aswel.....as for the dance mat.....i have seen them in stores. So you should be able to pick one up easy!
Hi

You can get transformers here http://www.newmarket-transformers.co.uk/ but you will need a PAL to NTSC converter to use your UK PS2 on a US TV unless the TV is Multi-System some good models are as are most Plasma Screens

Convert PAL to NTSC using

http://www.chipzone.com/shop/showdet...Product_ID=229

http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad...tm/m_pal2n.htm

http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products_...Converter.html

Last edited by pedro66; Jul 21st 2004 at 5:35 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 1:40 am
"Ted You Big Bollocks"

justboy is an unknown quantity at this point

i ended up just buying a new PS2 and got a MODCHIP so that i could play my games....i am giving my UK PS2 to my Brother when my Mum comes to visit in September!!
Old Jul 26th 2004, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Seacow is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it may not be worth messing around with your PS2 the dance mats and controllers etc will still work if you buy a US one (and they are cheaper in the states) its just the software you will need to buy again - having said that the dance mats aren't expensive!!