Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

uk driver's licence - how to keep ?

uk driver's licence - how to keep ?

Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk driver's licence - how to keep ?

Originally Posted by Boiler
Drivers new to Wisconsin are required to apply for a Wisconsin driver license within 60 days of establishing residency.
Strange how many people think they can drive on a foreign license for 12 months no matter what state they live in. Wonder where they would stand insurance wise if they were involved in a RTA?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 20th 2008 at 2:47 am.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

britinamerica is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Strange how many people think they can drive on a foreign license for 12 months no matter what state they live in. Wonder where they would stand insurance wise if they were involved in a RTA?
I stand corrected.

I'm sure I read that somewhere, possibly the DMV website, and it might have been about non-residents driving in the US. I didn't consider myself a *permanent* resident until I got my green card, rightly or wrongly.

Either way, I was well overdue which ever way you look at it!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Just to add something new to the discussion. When out of state driving a rental car, is there any reason why I shouldn't use my UK license?

I am guessing I should really use my US one, but if I use my UK one - they cant give me any points for speeding etc and may even be more lenient 'arr - crazy brits'
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dh010447
Just to add something new to the discussion. When out of state driving a rental car, is there any reason why I shouldn't use my UK license?

I am guessing I should really use my US one, but if I use my UK one - they cant give me any points for speeding etc and may even be more lenient 'arr - crazy brits'
Mmmm dunno about that one. When the cops run your details through the computer if it shows you are a US resident it could be a problem. Don't know whether they ask for your address but if they do that's a problem. Also you would have to take out CDW as your US insurance probably wouldn't cover you...same applies to the insurance supplied by your US CC. Personally I wouldn't risk it.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Pardon the interruption, but can someone tell me why British people seem so attached to their driving licenses? A couple of weeks after I moved to the US I handed over my Ontario license without a second thought. That was in 1993 and I haven't had a moment's regret. Am I missing something?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

UK-Trinity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Pardon the interruption, but can someone tell me why British people seem so attached to their driving licenses? A couple of weeks after I moved to the US I handed over my Ontario license without a second thought. That was in 1993 and I haven't had a moment's regret. Am I missing something?

Maybe it has something to do with how hard it is to get one in the first place?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 4:49 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is that UK licenses always used to be valid until you were 75, so you passed once and then forgot about it. Also, you can't exchange a US license for a UK one (iirc), so if you move back to the EU, it's just a hassle to send off for a replacement UK one.
Originally Posted by britinamerica
I'm sure I read that somewhere, possibly the DMV website, and it might have been about non-residents driving in the US. I didn't consider myself a *permanent* resident until I got my green card, rightly or wrongly.
Probably because the definition of a "resident" for Wisconsin traffic law purposes is probably different from the federal immigration status of "Permanent Resident". But you'd need to read the law and the case law to be sure, and I haven't done that...or one could just take the Mickey Mouse test in WI and be done with it.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 5:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

maybe because you can in some states, you can in texas and in maine...getting insurance is the hassle though and you might as well...also if some are students, they wouldn't be considered residents of the state.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 5:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians can transfer a license and not take the test, us brits do, and get treated as new drivers, so why not keep them? It's not like it is our property to hand over to be destroyed...
Old Mar 20th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Mmmm dunno about that one. When the cops run your details through the computer if it shows you are a US resident it could be a problem. Don't know whether they ask for your address but if they do that's a problem. Also you would have to take out CDW as your US insurance probably wouldn't cover you...same applies to the insurance supplied by your US CC. Personally I wouldn't risk it.
Would normal US insurance cover CDW in a rental vehicle? And this whole thing about insurance supplied by a credit card - how does that work?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dh010447
Would normal US insurance cover CDW in a rental vehicle? And this whole thing about insurance supplied by a credit card - how does that work?
If you have CDW on your US insurance policy it should cover you to drive any car in the US...including rentals with CDW. Quite often US car rental companies will try to sell you CDW extra but if you have CDW on your existing policy you should be covered. If in doubt check with your insurance company.

You should check with your CC company as to if and what they cover as some CC companies provide the service and some don't. I use Mastercard and AMEX...both cover me for CDW in the US and overseas if I rent the vehicle using one of these CCs.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 20th 2008 at 7:24 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britinamerica
I didn't consider myself a *permanent* resident until I got my green card, rightly or wrongly.
A *permanent resident* depends on whose definition. USCIS, IRS, your state, their DMV, etc. all define it differently.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
maybe because you can in some states, you can in texas and in maine...
Yep I thought I had two months - that is what it says on the MVA website, but when I called them up they said not to worry I had a year, the 2 months only applied to people from other states. They basically told me to wait a while because they had just switched from making appointments for people from abroad to just walk in and there were lines outside at 5am everyday and there were only a few slots.

Thing is that a month or two isn't always reasonable, especially as some states have quite a bit of identification required for people from abroad.

Oh and I noticed somebody say earlier that they took the UK licenses in Maryland - they didn't take mine. This was never even hinted at and honestly what would be the point, if I wanted it I could just get another one from the DVLA.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Tricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really nice

Hi
Just wanted to share my good news - took my test in Maryland today and passed, and they didn't take my UK licence!
They looked at it, but gave it right back.

And yes, it was easy...doesn't stop you worrying beforehand though!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 8:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Tricialc
Hi
Just wanted to share my good news - took my test in Maryland today and passed, and they didn't take my UK licence!
They looked at it, but gave it right back.

And yes, it was easy...doesn't stop you worrying beforehand though!
Congratulations...karma on its way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.