British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   uk driver's licence - how to keep ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-drivers-licence-how-keep-522235/)

exvj Mar 16th 2008 10:17 pm

uk driver's licence - how to keep ?

I have a UK driver's licence and a US driver's license. I am 60 years old and my registered UK house address is being sold in 2 weeks.

I thought I would do an address change and put my daughter's UK address but the form says its illegal to 'get' a licence if I am not resident..

It is the same form for applying for a licence or changing address

Would I be right in thinking that 'getting' a license is different to an address change so I could just change the address ?

I don't expect any correspondence from DVLA until I am 70 and have to renew.

If I ever return to the uk to reside, I dont want to have to do a new driving test

I bet nearly all ex-pats have keep their UK licence

any thoughts please ?

Juswus Mar 16th 2008 10:30 pm

Re: uk driver's licence - how to keep ?

I moved into my Mum's for a while before leaving the country so I got my UK licence changed to that address.

exvj Mar 16th 2008 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Juswus (Post 6071550)
I moved into my Mum's for a while before leaving the country so I got my UK licence changed to that address.

Wish I had done that but I have been in the US five months now..

BritishGuy36 Mar 16th 2008 11:16 pm

Changing my address to my mum's for almost all UK-based stuff (driving license, bank/cc accounts etc) is one of the main things on my "to-do" list before leaving the UK.

Ray Mar 17th 2008 3:09 am

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 6071687)
Changing my address to my mum's for almost all UK-based stuff (driving license, bank/cc accounts etc) is one of the main things on my "to-do" list before leaving the UK.

Yup .. that is a must do ...

Bank account especially ...even open one you can operate on the
net if your does not ... First Direct is ideal ...

pejpm1 Mar 17th 2008 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6072305)
Yup .. that is a must do ...

Bank account especially ...even open one you can operate on the
net if your does not ... First Direct is ideal ...

How come? I spoke to my bank, and they said I could just give a US address and keep the account open?

Ray Mar 17th 2008 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by pejpm1 (Post 6073428)
How come? I spoke to my bank, and they said I could just give a US address and keep the account open?

Good !! some may not be obliging ..and you certainly won't
be able to open a new one after leaving

Jerseygirl Mar 17th 2008 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by pejpm1 (Post 6073428)

We have kept our accounts with UK banks and all correspondence is sent to our US address.

lapin_windstar Mar 17th 2008 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 6071506)
I thought I would do an address change and put my daughter's UK address but the form says its illegal to 'get' a licence if I am not resident.

I can't think of anyone I know who *didn't* put everything into someone else's address before going to work/live somewhere else. The DVLA isn't going to peek through the windows to check if you're there but they won't accept a non-UK address for a permanent address (IIRC). They will send replacement cards to you if you're outside the UK on a trip and need to be able to drive. ;)

ILM Mar 17th 2008 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 6074485)
I can't think of anyone I know who *didn't* put everything into someone else's address before going to work/live somewhere else. The DVLA isn't going to peek through the windows to check if you're there but they won't accept a non-UK address for a permanent address (IIRC). They will send replacement cards to you if you're outside the UK on a trip and need to be able to drive. ;)

I too changed all my accounts re banking (I use HSBC)to my father address, however I didn't change my drivers licence, In New York you cant hold 2 licences & you must after being a resident take a test etc then surrender your other licence, however when I tried to give the examiner my UK licence he never took it.
having said all that I still myself would have to change the address sometime.
I agree with the last post here I really cant see the DVLA looking through your window to check your really there. lol so use a family member still in the UK as your address, until informed otherwise that is what I will do.

ILM

BritishGuy36 Mar 17th 2008 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by ILM (Post 6076019)
In New York you cant hold 2 licences & you must after being a resident take a test etc then surrender your other licence, however when I tried to give the examiner my UK licence he never took it.

You can't hold 2 US licenses in any state. They won't care about any foreign licenses.

Jo1973 Mar 17th 2008 9:50 pm

I would do a change of Address to your daughters address. When you go to get your NY lic. say that you don't have your UK lic. here as it's in the UK, I have heard that some states will take your licence from you including your internation licence. (When I went to the DMV here I didn't even mention my UK licence.)

Just my 2 cents on the matter. lol.

BritishGuy36 Mar 17th 2008 10:05 pm

I believe what you have heard is people talking rubbish.

Any US DMV wouldn't care about a foreign license. There's no reason whatsoever why they would take your UK one off you.

Marmalade Mar 17th 2008 10:09 pm

They never took mines off of me when I got my US license. They never asked, and I never offered it.:)

Jo1973 Mar 17th 2008 10:11 pm

From the NYS DMV website....read the last paragraph then.

Drivers From Other Nations
Drivers from Canada.

A valid driver license from another country is also valid in NYS. You do not need to apply for a NYS driver license unless you become a resident of NYS.

According to NYS law, a resident of another country can get a NYS driver license. The DMV does not recommend this because:

NYS recognizes your foreign driver license if you remain a resident of the nation that issued the license. You do not need to have a NYS driver license to drive in NYS unless you become a resident of NYS.

If you have a driver license from any nation except Canada, you must pass a written test, complete a 5-hour pre-licensing course and pass a road test to qualify for a NYS driver license. See "New Drivers - How to Apply".
You must show a Social Security Card. If you are not eligible for a Social Security Card, you must provide a letter or form SSA-L676 from the US Social Security Administration (SSA) that states that you are not eligible. The SSA Letter or form must have been issued no more than 30 days before the date of your application. You must also show the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documents that the SSA used to determine that you are not eligible for a Social Security Card. The USCIS was formerly known as the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). Read the specific requirements on the identification requirements page.

When you receive your NYS driver license, you must surrender your foreign driver license to the DMV road test examiner. The local DMV office keeps your foreign driver license, and then destroys the license after 60 days. If you plan to return to your home country and use your foreign driver license, ask the road test examiner how to make sure that your foreign driver license is not destroyed. If you need to get your foreign driver license, go to the local DMV office where you applied for your NYS driver license.

ETA- I was only helping, you didn't need to reply so harshly telling me what I have heard is rubbish, I can work things out for myself, thanks. I try and post what I know to be best to my knowledge.