Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK citizen interested by the idea of teaching in the US.

UK citizen interested by the idea of teaching in the US.

Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen interested by the idea of teaching in the US.

Originally Posted by matthewpickering
I'm a student and the idea of a career in teaching in the US seems like an interesting prospect.
As I'm still a 6th former this is only a venture into the idea.
I understand the visa situation can be difficult as can the high college fees in the US which is why i would consider a degree in the UK then possibly a teaching course in the US in either English Literature or Music.
Are there any sites i should look at or any helpful advice on this topic (other than 'dont bother... it's too difficult' )?

Im stuck as to where i should look for further advice.
Thanks in advance.

Matt
Teaching music over here, especially in middle school and high school, is a completely different beast than in the UK. PM me if you want any further info regarding teaching music or performing in the US
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:09 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
If you do like it, you can consider coming over on a education visa for a few years to get an advanced degree,
It would be (relatively) easy to follow that up with a non-cap H-1B to be a non-tenure track instructor at university level. Getting from there to high school (if that's what you want) will not be so easy. You may be able to talk the uni into a green card app, but it will not be a short path. This would be a 10+ years route from where you are now.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 4:42 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice

Hi, I am also around your age wanting to be a Teacher in the US. All I can say from what I have heard on here is that it will be very hard and we will have to work.

I am thinking of teaching English in a non-English speaking country first, to gain some experience and The US maybe more impressed if you know another language.

Good luck!

Any State in mind?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 4:46 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a student and the idea of a career in teaching in the US seems like an interesting prospect.
As I'm still a 6th former this is only a venture into the idea.
I understand the visa situation can be difficult as can the high college fees in the US which is why i would consider a degree in the UK then possibly a teaching course in the US in either English Literature or Music.
Are there any sites i should look at or any helpful advice on this topic (other than 'dont bother... it's too difficult' )?

Im stuck as to where i should look for further advice.
Thanks in advance.

Matt
Unless you are in some type of exchange program, it's hard for a USC to find a job teaching those two subjects. For every English opening, there are at least 200 applicants at my school. I do not know the numbers, but music teachers are "a dime a dozen" here and there are no where near enough positions for graduates.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 4:48 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Any other sites to look for or specific google queries?
Do you know if teaching is a profession that is in particular demand at all?

High level science & math, special education for those with severe disabilities.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 4:50 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Matt, you should also be aware that each state has different requirements to teach there. For example, here in Kentucky one must have a master's degree, but a short hop across the river in Indiana or Ohio, and you only require a BS. You will also need to pass what's the called the PRAXIS exam - I think every state has this requirement.

So if you are very keen on pursuing this, then start thinking about states and cities you'd like to move to.
But in many states, you DO eventually have to get your master's degree. In Ohio, you have a certain number of times you can renew your license then it doesn't get renewed without the Master's.\

The good thing is that most states have a reciprical (sp?) arrangement with other states. For example, my OH credentials are good in 26 states (maybe more now) as long as I have taught 1-3 years in Ohio, depending on the state.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Feb 24th 2009 at 4:54 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Sorry you have failed the first test to live here. You have to drink coffee otherwise you cannot drive in the US as it is mandatory to drive with coffee in one hand and cell phone in the other. It is illegal to drive with an open alcohol container.
That's just where we live (I remember the pre-espresso days.. those were hard times....). Have you not yet experienced the drive through daiquiri huts & liquor stores in Texas, Louisiana etc? Seriously!

If the State runs short of money it is State employees who suffer and State jobs which get cut,
It's absolute madness here now.. just thought I'd point out that the teachers are not State employees, but enough of the school funding comes from the State to cripple the District when the State holds back funding.
I wish there was a good place to discuss local politics online. Let me know if you ever find one, ok?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:45 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
That's just where we live (I remember the pre-espresso days.. those were hard times....). Have you not yet experienced the drive through daiquiri huts & liquor stores in Texas, Louisiana etc? Seriously!
The OH first husband was in the US Army stationed somewhere in Georgia she now has a complete dislike for anything remotely classed as a southern State, so I havn't been out of the NW really. Other than various airports scattered around the east coast and Chicago while protecting UK aviation interests when I was working.

It's absolute madness here now.. just thought I'd point out that the teachers are not State employees, but enough of the school funding comes from the State to cripple the District when the State holds back funding.
I wish there was a good place to discuss local politics online. Let me know if you ever find one, ok?
OK I understand now they are in fact employed by the school district but most of the money is State funded.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The OH first husband was in the US Army stationed somewhere in Georgia she now has a complete dislike for anything remotely classed as a southern State, so I havn't been out of the NW really. Other than various airports scattered around the east coast and Chicago while protecting UK aviation interests when I was working.

OK I understand now they are in fact employed by the school district but most of the money is State funded.
Ah, well you will have to make at least one tour through the region (it's warm down there for one thing).. you will understand why Texas' motto is It's Like A Whole Nother Country or similar.

Schools: yup, that is exactly it.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robw4
Hi, I am also around your age wanting to be a Teacher in the US. All I can say from what I have heard on here is that it will be very hard and we will have to work.

I am thinking of teaching English in a non-English speaking country first, to gain some experience and The US maybe more impressed if you know another language.

Good luck!

Any State in mind?
Choose a Spanish speaking country if you decide to do this!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:41 pm
Queen of my house

It varies state to state. My school is mostly locally funded through real estate taxes....a large % comes from this. The poorer districts get more money from the state to make up the difference.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:05 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lisa67
Choose a Spanish speaking country if you decide to do this!
Ok thanks!