British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK citizen interested by the idea of teaching in the US. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-citizen-interested-idea-teaching-us-593566/)

matthewpickering Feb 23rd 2009 10:23 pm

UK citizen interested by the idea of teaching in the US.

I'm a student and the idea of a career in teaching in the US seems like an interesting prospect.
As I'm still a 6th former this is only a venture into the idea.
I understand the visa situation can be difficult as can the high college fees in the US which is why i would consider a degree in the UK then possibly a teaching course in the US in either English Literature or Music.
Are there any sites i should look at or any helpful advice on this topic (other than 'dont bother... it's too difficult' ;) )?

Im stuck as to where i should look for further advice.
Thanks in advance.

Matt :)

lansbury Feb 23rd 2009 10:30 pm

Re: UK citizen interested by the idea of teaching in the US.

sits back pours a coffee and waits for the fun to begin

Originally Posted by matthewpickering (Post 7315700)
any helpful advice on this topic (other than 'dont bother... it's too difficult' ;) )?

that should preclude any answers on BE then. :lol:

Gingerert Feb 23rd 2009 10:49 pm

I'm a student and the idea of a career in teaching in the US seems like an interesting prospect.
I understand the visa situation can be difficult as can the high college fees in the US which is why i would consider a degree in the UK then possibly a teaching course in the US in either English Literature or Music.
Are there any sites i should look at or any helpful advice on this topic (other than 'dont bother... it's too difficult' ;) )?

Thanks in advance.

Google to start?

Then maybe BUNAC for student-y type fun and chances to work in the USA on short visits while deciding whether it's really where you want to live.

Likelyhood of teaching in the USA full-time with no other ties? Might want to do some more research on that one first.

Oh, and don't bother with Florida. It ain't all Disneyland. :)

matthewpickering Feb 23rd 2009 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 7315723)
sits back pours a coffee and waits for the fun to begin

that should preclude any answers on BE then. :lol:

On another forum i frequent, the standard procedure is *sets up BBQ, opens beer*
Coffee is too formal :p

matthewpickering Feb 23rd 2009 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by gingerert (Post 7315768)
Google to start?

Then maybe BUNAC for student-y type fun and chances to work in the USA on short visits while deciding whether it's really where you want to live.

Thanks.

Likelyhood of teaching in the USA full-time with no other ties? Might want to do some more research on that one first.

Any other sites to look for or specific google queries?
Do you know if teaching is a profession that is in particular demand at all?

Oh, and don't bother with Florida. It ain't all Disneyland. :)

:lol:

lansbury Feb 23rd 2009 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by matthewpickering (Post 7315788)
On another forum i frequent, the standard procedure is *sets up BBQ, opens beer*
Coffee is too formal :p

Sorry you have failed the first test to live here. You have to drink coffee otherwise you cannot drive in the US as it is mandatory to drive with coffee in one hand and cell phone in the other. It is illegal to drive with an open alcohol container. :D

matthewpickering Feb 23rd 2009 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 7315810)
Sorry you have failed the first test to live here. You have to drink coffee otherwise you cannot drive in the US as it is mandatory to drive with coffee in one hand and cell phone in the other. It is illegal to drive with an open alcohol container. :D

Well i shall keep the alcohol container shut then ;)
What are the specifics on BBQs and driving? :p

lansbury Feb 23rd 2009 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by matthewpickering (Post 7315807)

Do you know if teaching is a profession that is in particular demand at all?

:lol:

Not sure what other States are like, they are all different and do their own thing, but Oregon is heading for a huge budget deficit and education is one things they seem to want to cut back on.

One proposal is to ask the teachers to work a number of days this year without pay.

If the State runs short of money it is State employees who suffer and State jobs which get cut,

lansbury Feb 23rd 2009 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by matthewpickering (Post 7315817)
What are the specifics on BBQs and driving? :p

Only in convertibles and not allowed to drive in forest areas during the fire season

ellimere Feb 23rd 2009 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 7315818)
Not sure what other States are like, they are all different and do their own thing, but Oregon is heading for a huge budget deficit and education is one things they seem to want to cut back on.

*smacks head against desk*

As if a lot of Americans weren't stupid enough! ;-)

Matthew - your best bet would be to get your degree in the UK and then decide whether what you want to do - do an MA (which would help greatly if you want to teach in the USA) on top of a PGCE. You may also want to teach in the UK for at least a year. It's great that you have an idea of what you want to do. Like others have said, I'd look into doing a BUNA or Camp America thing to get some experience of American life and kids.

Muswell Hill Feb 23rd 2009 11:28 pm

Thanks in advance.

Matt,

You honestly have no real chance of emigrating to the USA as a teacher. Your first question to ask is not 'can i get a job in field X', but 'can i get a visa?' As the school district would need to sponsor you, you would have to find one who would be willing to sponsor you first, and honestly, right now they are not even hiring experienced teachers.

I would suggest going to uni in the UK to become a teacher, and then apply to an organisation like VIF (visiting international faculty vif.org), and you could do an exchange for up to 3 years here...you never know you might meet an American girl, get married........
Otherwise, keep your feet on the ground, work VERY hard in 6th form, get a good degree and then re-evluate what you want to do.
I was like you once, a teenager doing A levels in the UK who dreamed of America. I worked hard, got 3 degrees and now live here and became a US citizen last week. Medicine is your best bet to move here (what i do), with nursing a close second....enjoy your teens then uni, you only get to do it once.

Best of luck mate,
MH

matthewpickering Feb 23rd 2009 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill (Post 7315878)
Matt,

You honestly have no real chance of emigrating to the USA as a teacher. Your first question to ask is not 'can i get a job in field X', but 'can i get a visa?' As the school district would need to sponsor you, you would have to find one who would be willing to sponsor you first, and honestly, right now they are not even hiring experienced teachers.

I would suggest going to uni in the UK to become a teacher, and then apply to an organisation like VIF (visiting international faculty vif.org), and you could do an exchange for up to 3 years here...you never know you might meet an American girl, get married........
Otherwise, keep your feet on the ground, work VERY hard in 6th form, get a good degree and then re-evluate what you want to do.
I was like you once, a teenager doing A levels in the UK who dreamed of America. I worked hard, got 3 degrees and now live here and became a US citizen last week. Medicine is your best bet to move here (what i do), with nursing a close second....enjoy your teens then uni, you only get to do it once.

Best of luck mate,
MH

Great advice, thanks very much :)

Bluegrass Lass Feb 24th 2009 1:36 am

Matt, you should also be aware that each state has different requirements to teach there. For example, here in Kentucky one must have a master's degree, but a short hop across the river in Indiana or Ohio, and you only require a BS. You will also need to pass what's the called the PRAXIS exam - I think every state has this requirement.

So if you are very keen on pursuing this, then start thinking about states and cities you'd like to move to.

caleyjag Feb 24th 2009 7:44 am

I would have to imagine that your chances of getting a visa as a teacher are pretty slim.

However, you still have a while to go time-wise, perhaps things will change.

In the meantime, pursue BUNAC as soon as you get to college. You can spend your first summer working in the US which will help you to find out what it's really like. It isn't always like the movies.

Additionally, when you get to college, if you go to a good uni there should be year abroad programs where you can spend your second year of university at an amercian university. You should look into this the moment you start university. You don't have long to sort it all out and the programs are often oversubscribed.

Finally, I have heard of teachers from the UK moving to the US on specific programs, such as Fulbright, however I suspect these are few and far between, and probably quite competitive.

Of course, if you get into a decent uni (Cambridge, St Andrews etc) chances are it will be full of yanks. Fall in love, get the paperwork done and you can teach away to your heart's content!

penguinsix Feb 24th 2009 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7316952)
Additionally, when you get to college, if you go to a good uni there should be year abroad programs where you can spend your second year of university at an amercian university. You should look into this the moment you start university. You don't have long to sort it all out and the programs are often oversubscribed.

This is really good advice. Sort of a 'try before buy' option if you will. You'll find with a year 'in country' you'll learn things and experience things and, believe it or not, miss a few things from home such that when comes time to make a real decision about moving you'll be better prepared.

If you do like it, you can consider coming over on a education visa for a few years to get an advanced degree, and then use the time here to find someone to sponsor you for a full-time job. In teaching, it's very tough, but you may find your skills apply to other industries (for example, should you become a technical trainer and work for a large company). Or you may find a really beautiful woman who loves you for more than just your accent.

Good luck.