Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Banruptcy How does it affect you in USA?

UK Banruptcy How does it affect you in USA?

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 8:28 pm
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point

With regard to my Urban myth;
May I offer the following reading.
US credit bureaus & collections agencies: An industry analysis Published 2003 (5th edit).

Available from Vertical markets research for $1,595

It gives great detail on how the credit agency business is now worth in excess of 1.3 billion dollars and is dominated by 3 companies namely Trans union, Experian and Equifax.

The last 2 should be of interest to you as they are UK based - you did say UK based credit agencies can access your info - sorry the're also US based as well - Do you really think they dont share information OH DEAR !!

The above reading, also goes in to detail on how globally credit agencies exchange info with each other and how Experian and Equifax are now begining to dominate overseas markets.

If you hadnt have been so condecending, I would have given you the info you required and some working examples, I have the report sitting on my desk - its a good read and an eye opener, particully the chapter on globalisation and technology and how its being used to combat fraudelent applications and credit banking between sovereign states and person to person

In a nutshell smartass, they will divulge your info to US based sources, regardless of the DATA protection act - ask anyone on here who has applied for a US mortgage or opened a US bank account and applied for a credit card. See former threads

Maybe following your argument , You could explain to me why "Capital One bank" in the US (Based in Tampa FL) and "MBNA Bank" will issue me a credit card based on my UK credit rating - DOH. I hold Platinum and Gold cards.

Finally two free pieces of advise - No1: Do what most bankcrupts do and hide behind your wife and blame everyone else for your downfall - They wont like that in the US - not positive thinking !!
No2: Dont expect to come on an informal forum and get professional advice free of charge - you DIMWIT.

Have a nice day - Mark
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 9:04 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by mark19964
With regard to my Urban myth;
May I offer the following reading.
US credit bureaus & collections agencies: An industry analysis Published 2003 (5th edit).

Available from Vertical markets research for $1,595

It gives great detail on how the credit agency business is now worth in excess of 1.3 billion dollars and is dominated by 3 companies namely Trans union, Experian and Equifax.

The last 2 should be of interest to you as they are UK based - you did say UK based credit agencies can access your info - sorry the're also US based as well - Do you really think they dont share information OH DEAR !!

The above reading, also goes in to detail on how globally credit agencies exchange info with each other and how Experian and Equifax are now begining to dominate overseas markets.

If you hadnt have been so condecending, I would have given you the info you required and some working examples, I have the report sitting on my desk - its a good read and an eye opener, particully the chapter on globalisation and technology and how its being used to combat fraudelent applications and credit banking between sovereign states and person to person

In a nutshell smartass, they will divulge your info to US based sources, regardless of the DATA protection act - ask anyone on here who has applied for a US mortgage or opened a US bank account and applied for a credit card. See former threads

Maybe following your argument , You could explain to me why "Capital One bank" in the US (Based in Tampa FL) and "MBNA Bank" will issue me a credit card based on my UK credit rating - DOH. I hold Platinum and Gold cards.

Finally two free pieces of advise - No1: Do what most bankcrupts do and hide behind your wife and blame everyone else for your downfall - They wont like that in the US - not positive thinking !!
No2: Dont expect to come on an informal forum and get professional advice free of charge - you DIMWIT.

Have a nice day - Mark
Tetchy tetchy. If you have geniune information then fine go ahead and share it. Thats very useful if accurate. Why the big mood attack?

I am aware of experian and equifax but they are separate legal entities by the way in the USA and UK. They are not supposed to share information without your consent. Capital One USA and Capital One europe are still different companies and again they can cross comunicate but that is not the same as an international credit record. In my understanding anyhow.

By the way what i didnt like about your original post was the patronising and obviously judgemental manner in which you comment about a possible bankruptcy. Since when am i hiding behind my wife by the way? I went bust because a couple of people who owed me great deal of money went bust also, one due to a bad planning decision which wrecked his nightclub business(the council pulled it down) the other because he was an alcoholic who systematically defrauded clients, legal aid and his associates. But hey shit happens, i know that and i knew the risk of self employment. I am simply attempting to resolve it as best i can, draw a line under it and start again. You like so many others seem to feel instead that we should bring back debtors prison and i should be punished my whole life.

I posted a question because actually lots of people have useful knowledge and experiences that they often share and mostly its accurate. Just because you are too petty to share it for free doesnt mean other wont. I suppose you work for a bank or something so i shouldnt be suprised.

thanks for your non help and good luck with your anal retentiveness!

regards,

Duncan
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 9:27 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by lairdside
I am slow on the uptake this morning, only just having realised the Duncan (the OP) is in Belfast.

Granted that he's moving to MA I think and where I live, NV, is "Western' Texas" so attitudes vary from coast-to-coast. I still think that by comparison he won't know himself here.

I am also sorry if I am hi-jacking the thread but this to me is a reflection of a general attitude which hopefully will continue in practise and statute here.

Duncan, leave the lectures behind (NI is full of em ) and please feel free to tell anyone who proposes to give you one exactly where they can go and what they can do with it......

Just to clarify I love Northern Ireland and it's people. I just wouldn't want to live there anymore. When I lived on the mainland before coming here people in GB thought I'd left because of the "violence".. rofl.

NI actually has the lowest crime rate in the UK, including violent crime.

It was the restrictive social attitudes that got my goat more than anything, the preoccupation with comforming to what everyone else's idea of being "respectable" was.

Now when I go back I'm just a beastly American defector (I was in Belfast several times last year)- can't say it bothered me..lol

Everyone is different, I have found that here suits me much better thank you

Now totally O/T - is "Give My Head Peace" still running on BBC NI?
I also love Northern Ireland and it is a great place with a low crime rate. In some ways i am sad to leave but i am keen for change. It is a restrictive place and it can be backwards sometimes. People are just stuck in the old attitudes and dont want to change. I have been in law and politics/peace process here and i am just tired of arguing with people about flags and lilles/poppies whilst businesses go under and intelligent young people leave by the boatload. I do love this place and i know it could be a great society but i am tired of the hassle so i want a change. I feel bad about it but its time to be selfish, besides i am broke (see first post!)

I havent seen Give my head peace in a while so i dont know if its finished or not, sometimes I see the hole in the wall gang around town as a couple of them live near me and know me from Politics but that is it.

Hopefully the USA will be new start and give me a chance to just be me, not worrying about orange or green, or which school i went to.

I hope i dont annoy mark too much with my posts i dont mean to anger him but i just wish people would not judge me so much for being broke. Yes its embarrassing and humilating and yes i am ashamed of how it affects my wife but why do people like him have to look down on me for seeking advice to try to deal with my situation? Maybe my credit record will be crap in the USA as well, but hey thems the breaks and i will cope and i will get past it.

Thanks to all the helpful and non judgemental folks on here though,

regards,

Duncan

Last edited by Duncs; Jun 23rd 2003 at 9:30 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 9:42 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Originally posted by lairdside
Btw just to add. I spoke with a lady this morning who is an attorney in CA. She formerly practised law as a solicitor in London for three years.

She said that sueing another attorney for payment for services rendered there is no problem.
Only solicitors can sue for payment. Thats different. Barristers have no legal contract with the solicitor ( an historical throwback) so no contract, no actionable debt. Its all on the basis of a gentlemans agreement, which is great if everyone is a gentleman. As i said our method of enforcement is through the professional body and its catch 22 yes you can bitch yes they will chase but you will not get other work so no good and if your solicitor has gone bust himself then you are not even legal creditor so thats that. The bar is club for rich people from public schools and its a hrd place if you are just working class boy trust me!.

regards,

Duncan
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 10:17 pm
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by 17782023
Tetchy tetchy. If you have geniune information then fine go ahead and share it. Thats very useful if accurate. Why the big mood attack?

I am aware of experian and equifax but they are separate legal entities by the way in the USA and UK. They are not supposed to share information without your consent. Capital One USA and Capital One europe are still different companies and again they can cross comunicate but that is not the same as an international credit record. In my understanding anyhow.

By the way what i didnt like about your original post was the patronising and obviously judgemental manner in which you comment about a possible bankruptcy. Since when am i hiding behind my wife by the way? I went bust because a couple of people who owed me great deal of money went bust also, one due to a bad planning decision which wrecked his nightclub business(the council pulled it down) the other because he was an alcoholic who systematically defrauded clients, legal aid and his associates. But hey shit happens, i know that and i knew the risk of self employment. I am simply attempting to resolve it as best i can, draw a line under it and start again. You like so many others seem to feel instead that we should bring back debtors prison and i should be punished my whole life.

I posted a question because actually lots of people have useful knowledge and experiences that they often share and mostly its accurate. Just because you are too petty to share it for free doesnt mean other wont. I suppose you work for a bank or something so i shouldnt be suprised.

thanks for your non help and good luck with your anal retentiveness!

regards,

Duncan
I agree Duncan, draw a line and move on and by the way the prunes work great.

I wish you peace, new prosperity and good Luck in your new life.

Regards - Mark
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 10:22 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by 17782023
Only solicitors can sue for payment. Thats different. Barristers have no legal contract with the solicitor ( an historical throwback) so no contract, no actionable debt. Its all on the basis of a gentlemans agreement, which is great if everyone is a gentleman. As i said our method of enforcement is through the professional body and its catch 22 yes you can bitch yes they will chase but you will not get other work so no good and if your solicitor has gone bust himself then you are not even legal creditor so thats that. The bar is club for rich people from public schools and its a hrd place if you are just working class boy trust me!.

regards,

Duncan
She was a solicitor in the UK, she is actually originally from Tanzania. She left the UK and is now an attorney in California (an immigration attorney actually )

Very nice lady. If someone doesn't pay you you can sue their sock socks off in CA.

No-one expects you to be a gentleman (or gentlewoman for that matter) where money and business are concerned .....
Old Jun 24th 2003, 10:00 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Originally posted by mark19964
I agree Duncan, draw a line and move on and by the way the prunes work great.

I wish you peace, new prosperity and good Luck in your new life.

Regards - Mark
Fair enough.

Thank you.

regards,

Duncan
Old Jun 24th 2003, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]

Have a nice day - Mark
I applied for a bank account and credit card here in the US and now have both, I specifically asked if they would take my UK credit rating into account and was told no. MBNA will use your UK credit score but only if you push them to do so, it’s not a standard practice.

With regards to a mortgage, I am looking to buy a property in a Beach resort for rental, I can finance this with the sale of my home in the UK but was keen, considering the interest rates at present, to leave my capitol in the current investment situation. I again was told clearly that my UK credit was of no interest to them, nor would they use it even if asked to do so. I went so far as to contact Equifax as I knew they were a UK company and asked them if they would add my UK credit rating to the USA data, they told me this was not possible and that any credit score I had back home would not be evident on the reports they issue here in the USA.

Back in 1992 I was unfortunate enough to pick up a bad debt on my company for 63k, a company I subcontracted for went into liquidation prior to settling my account. Fortunately I didn’t have to go into bankruptcy but many of other innocent victims did, there is a misnomer that people in that position hide behind their wives, and experience tells me that serial cheats do. However to tar everybody with the same brush is unfair, these people take a gamble to better their lives and it is a proven statistic that 86% of all business failures are caused by cash flow failings as a result of late or non payment, that statistic shows that miss management of capitol is a minority cause for business failures in the UK. Eventually I recovered my money from the company when they came out the other side, it cost me 5 years and 20k in legal fees, an ulcer and all sorts of shit.

Now i'm not preaching, nor do I support the OP’s wording, but I do know a lot about this subject and felt I should post my findings.

Rob
Old Jun 24th 2003, 1:50 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Originally posted by robclews
I applied for a bank account and credit card here in the US and now have both, I specifically asked if they would take my UK credit rating into account and was told no. MBNA will use your UK credit score but only if you push them to do so, it’s not a standard practice.

With regards to a mortgage, I am looking to buy a property in a Beach resort for rental, I can finance this with the sale of my home in the UK but was keen, considering the interest rates at present, to leave my capitol in the current investment situation. I again was told clearly that my UK credit was of no interest to them, nor would they use it even if asked to do so. I went so far as to contact Equifax as I knew they were a UK company and asked them if they would add my UK credit rating to the USA data, they told me this was not possible and that any credit score I had back home would not be evident on the reports they issue here in the USA.

Back in 1992 I was unfortunate enough to pick up a bad debt on my company for 63k, a company I subcontracted for went into liquidation prior to settling my account. Fortunately I didn’t have to go into bankruptcy but many of other innocent victims did, there is a misnomer that people in that position hide behind their wives, and experience tells me that serial cheats do. However to tar everybody with the same brush is unfair, these people take a gamble to better their lives and it is a proven statistic that 86% of all business failures are caused by cash flow failings as a result of late or non payment, that statistic shows that miss management of capitol is a minority cause for business failures in the UK. Eventually I recovered my money from the company when they came out the other side, it cost me 5 years and 20k in legal fees, an ulcer and all sorts of shit.

Now i'm not preaching, nor do I support the OP’s wording, but I do know a lot about this subject and felt I should post my findings.

Rob
Thank you thats very helpful. Lots of businesses fail and not all through incomptetence. Cash flow is the issue and once it becomes a problem it is easy and tempting to borrow to keep it afloat hoping that the big pay job you ned wil come around the corner until one day you cant keep up the payments any more and the house of cards falls. I made mistakes and i have learnt a hard lesson about cash management, i knew the risk of being self employed. But i am no cheat and i dont hide behind anyone so why do people have to judge you for trying to get out from under an impossible position?

Thank you again your information was useful and tallies with other info i have come across.

regards,

Duncan
Old Jun 25th 2003, 10:09 am
Just Joined

ManMass is an unknown quantity at this point

Duncan

After reading this post, i was shocked at your inconsiderate manner in which you treat your fellow collogues.

Why so rude in your response to others?

Hey we all go through bad times - maybe its your attitude you should change then maybe you can succeed within the business world and make a success of your life.

Attitude is a way of life, Treat others as you wish to be treated ?

Welcome to America you JERK

Chuck
Old Jun 25th 2003, 12:51 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Your so Cheeky! you can't just come on here and start calling Duncan a Jerk - for a start there is a queue! Now get to the back and wait your turn!

Patrick

There are certain protocols to be observed when it comes to kicking a man when he is down and we discovered him first! Ellen get my doc martins!

Originally posted by ManMass
Duncan

After reading this post, i was shocked at your inconsiderate manner in which you treat your fellow collogues.

Why so rude in your response to others?

Hey we all go through bad times - maybe its your attitude you should change then maybe you can succeed within the business world and make a success of your life.

Attitude is a way of life, Treat others as you wish to be treated ?

Welcome to America you JERK

Chuck

Last edited by Patrick; Jun 25th 2003 at 12:55 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

ManMass is an unknown quantity at this point

Patrick

Could i lend them Doc Martins after you ?

Sometimes a Mans gotta do what a mans gotta do!

Even if that means borrowing them there boots.................

chuck