UK Banks and Non-UK Residency Reporting for Tax Purposes

UK Banks and Non-UK Residency Reporting for Tax Purposes

Old Nov 29th 2023, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Banks and Non-UK Residency Reporting for Tax Purposes

Hi All,

I hope you are all well.

I am currently in the US on a temporary work visa and will be informing my bank in the UK (Lloyds) of this as part of the usual reporting requirements after receiving a letter from them asking for clarification. Does anyone have recent experience of this, and whether it will lead to the bank closing the account?

Any guidance you are able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old Nov 29th 2023, 7:41 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Banks and Non-UK Residency Reporting for Tax Purposes

Can’t talk to Lloyds, but I have accounts with two major high street UK banks and lived overseas for years and they have had no issues with my US address. Barclays is the only one I have heard about closing accounts, but it wouldn't surprise me if they don’t all follow suit over the next few years. Set up a Wise account as an alternative should your account get closed involuntarily.
Old Nov 30th 2023, 4:57 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rainmaker
Hi All,

I hope you are all well.

I am currently in the US on a temporary work visa and will be informing my bank in the UK (Lloyds) of this as part of the usual reporting requirements after receiving a letter from them asking for clarification. Does anyone have recent experience of this, and whether it will lead to the bank closing the account?

Any guidance you are able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
I know of one person in the US who has been there for years and continues to run their account with Lloyds without any difficulties although they do visit the UK occasionally which might help. One has to wonder whether Barclays has started a trend; I hope not. It seems unthinkable to me that British "international" banks are withdrawing their global services.
Old Nov 30th 2023, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

I have just been asked to confirm details with HSBC UK. They are well aware that i live in the USA - I am hoping it is just a regular check. What made me cross was that they sent me an email with a 'click this link' to fill out the form. The bank's phishing advice is not to respond or click on any emails that you weren't expecting. After a long time on their chat, they assured me it was genuine. Do they not see the inconsistency in this? In the end i printed the form from the website and will mail it back to them
Old Nov 30th 2023, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a Lloyds Account ever since I started university in 1984 and have been living in the US since 2002.

LLoyds know I live in the US and have occasionally asked me information about my US SSN in-order to report account information to the IRS but so-far no indication they are planning to close it down
Old Dec 4th 2023, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2702
I've had a Lloyds Account ever since I started university in 1984 and have been living in the US since 2002.

LLoyds know I live in the US and have occasionally asked me information about my US SSN in-order to report account information to the IRS but so-far no indication they are planning to close it down
Ditto. I've had a Lloyds account as a US resident for almost 40 years now. But this action by Barclays is quite unsettling. I guess I would go the Wise route if they pulled the plug on US account holders.
Old Dec 4th 2023, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point

The above responses are extremely useful to know and very helpful, and thank you all ever so much.

For the customers of Lloyds, have they allowed you to have products apart from a current account and credit/debit cards, i.e., a savings account?

Thank you once again.
Old Dec 4th 2023, 6:23 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I never had a Lloyds current or saving account but I have a credit card with a 5 pound positive balance that I receive quarterly correspondence on. Barclays shut me down years ago!
Old Dec 12th 2023, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

AlanD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rainmaker
The above responses are extremely useful to know and very helpful, and thank you all ever so much.

For the customers of Lloyds, have they allowed you to have products apart from a current account and credit/debit cards, i.e., a savings account?

Thank you once again.
I bank with Halifax, who are part of the Lloyds group, so would expect them to have similar policies.

I have 2 accounts with them and a savings account, however these were both opened when I was living in the UK. They have no issue with me living in the US and having a US address.