Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK appliances

UK appliances

Old Mar 14th 2011, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK appliances

Bin everything and buy new - just not worth the cost of buying transformers to run everything. We brought a few bits over (games consoles, monitors, GHD straighteners). The games consoles I guess were worth bringing as we had so many UK region games that we would have only sold for pennies. Unfortunately we would need to buy a US version of the consoles if we wanted to buy any new games for any of them. The GHDs are dual voltage but take forever to heat up and don't seem to run at the temperature they did in the UK, I wish I'd sold them. The monitors work fine.

Check out Walmart, Biglots, ACO Hardware, ABC Warehouse for cheap appliances, or sign up to your local freecycle and see what they're giving away.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 4:45 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EricK
Even if you have a high end TV don't bother bringing it over - I gave up my Pioneer LX5090 (still hasn't been bettered even by the latest generation Panasonics) as it was going to be such a pain the the backside with step up power inverters, NTSC / PAL issues etc. I did bring my Xbox as I had quite a big games library, and its easy to order titles from the UK.

Junk or sell everything else.
NTSC has dropped dead in the US for broadcast TV.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 10:05 am
Just Joined

hayleyD13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Bin everything and buy new - just not worth the cost of buying transformers to run everything. We brought a few bits over (games consoles, monitors, GHD straighteners). The games consoles I guess were worth bringing as we had so many UK region games that we would have only sold for pennies. Unfortunately we would need to buy a US version of the consoles if we wanted to buy any new games for any of them. The GHDs are dual voltage but take forever to heat up and don't seem to run at the temperature they did in the UK, I wish I'd sold them. The monitors work fine.

Check out Walmart, Biglots, ACO Hardware, ABC Warehouse for cheap appliances, or sign up to your local freecycle and see what they're giving away.
Before i Moved here back in 2007, i came on a visit for 6 weeks and brought my brand new GHD's, they didnt heat up hardly and then when i got them back to the uk and used them the 2nd time they went bang...i was gutted to say the least so be careful if you are going to try any item thats worth any money.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayleyD13
Before i Moved here back in 2007, i came on a visit for 6 weeks and brought my brand new GHD's, they didnt heat up hardly and then when i got them back to the uk and used them the 2nd time they went bang...i was gutted to say the least so be careful if you are going to try any item thats worth any money.
You probably forgot to set them back to 240 volts...I've done that before now.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:04 am
Just Joined

tigerbob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by choops
Hi guys,

Rather than go our as soon as I arrive and purchase every electrical item needed i would like to use my Uk ones initially with a US adaptor. Anyone else done this? Did you have any problems with them working?

Cheers
It's more trouble than it's worth to bring them with you and adapt them, plus there are a number of things that will not work anyway (TV for example is a different format).

It's kind of like bringing a car over. You can do it, and you can generally make it work, but its a hassle and you'll end up getting a US one eventually anyway.