British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK appliances (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-appliances-709206/)

choops Mar 13th 2011 8:15 pm

UK appliances

Hi guys,

Rather than go our as soon as I arrive and purchase every electrical item needed i would like to use my Uk ones initially with a US adaptor. Anyone else done this? Did you have any problems with them working?

Cheers

steve100100 Mar 13th 2011 8:22 pm

Re: UK appliances

Originally Posted by choops (Post 9237342)
Hi guys,

Rather than go our as soon as I arrive and purchase every electrical item needed i would like to use my Uk ones initially with a US adaptor. Anyone else done this? Did you have any problems with them working?

Cheers

What kind of appliances? If you're talking about toaster and kettle, then it's not worth the hassle. If it's televisions, I don't know. Someone will advise on that soon here.

Duncan Roberts Mar 13th 2011 8:23 pm

Like what? You'll probably find it much cheaper to buy the odds and ends rather than ship them and but transformers.

choops Mar 13th 2011 8:26 pm

Im talking about everything! TV's, Surround Sound, Lamps, Kettle, Coffee Machine, Hoover........

Im having a container ship everything anyway so no extra cost is there.

Manc Mar 13th 2011 8:27 pm

flog it on ebay

pocket the cash,

buy new over here and make do until everything is replaced.

steve100100 Mar 13th 2011 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by choops (Post 9237374)
Im talking about everything! TV's, Surround Sound, Lamps, Kettle, Coffee Machine, Hoover........

I would sell/throw/give away coffee maker, kettle, hoover, lamps. And unless its a high end tv, that too.

Brat1 Mar 13th 2011 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by choops (Post 9237374)

To be honest, I think it's going to be more hassle than it's worth. We sold all our electrical stuff before we moved here last year and the money we made, put it towards new stuff over here, the only thing I brought over here was my hair straighteners which worked fine. Good luck with the move :D

Brat1 Mar 13th 2011 8:35 pm

Sorry, I tell a lie, I brought my steam generator iron with us and it doesn't work, takes a day to heat up so is now sitting collecting dust in the cupboard, honestly, sell all your stuff and go to Target or somewhere like that when you arrive and buy new, kettles etc are not that expensive :)

dunroving Mar 13th 2011 8:47 pm

Hi guys,

Cheers

Did you see the Wiki link at the top of the page?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Should...rical_goods%3F

1chumly Mar 13th 2011 10:40 pm

Lamps work but you have to change the plug and light fitting if it is bayonet so again, is it worth it? As for all the other stuff, as others have said, buy here.

Bluegrass Lass Mar 13th 2011 11:14 pm

Do you know how expensive all those transformers and plug adapters would be? By the time you buy enough to run all your UK appliances, you could have just replaced them with the US version.

We are going through the same thing, except in reverse, so I understand your reluctance is getting rid of them. But some just aren't going to work the same on the different voltages.

Jerseygirl Mar 13th 2011 11:18 pm

Hi guys,

Cheers

Loads of past threads on this subject. Unless the items are dual voltage...even then it would depend on the age and value...get rid of them because they won't really be of use. Computers are usually OK as they usually have dual voltage...if in doubt check with the manufacturers.

meshwill Mar 13th 2011 11:46 pm

Sell it all before you leave, use the money to go onto Amazon.com and order new things to be delivered the day after you move in!
The only item we kept (and then had to buy a transformer for) was our Wii because we would have to replace all the games too. USA Wii games won't work on the UK Wii so buy from Amazon UK and get them posted over.
Get a cheap region free DVD player so it will play UK and USA dvd's.
Buy a USA TV.
Good Luck!!

EricK Mar 14th 2011 2:16 am

Even if you have a high end TV don't bother bringing it over - I gave up my Pioneer LX5090 (still hasn't been bettered even by the latest generation Panasonics) as it was going to be such a pain the the backside with step up power inverters, NTSC / PAL issues etc. I did bring my Xbox as I had quite a big games library, and its easy to order titles from the UK.

Junk or sell everything else.

coastieexpat Mar 14th 2011 4:48 am

Get a cheap region free DVD player so it will play UK and USA dvd's.
Here's a good cheap one !

Toshiba SD2010KA Region Free $55.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045PKK60

I've had mine for about a year.:)