Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Truck Advice

Truck Advice

Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:12 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Question Truck Advice

OK you truckers out there, my nice old 99 Dodge Ram 1500 is not doing too well at the moment, it's been abused and worked hard, but things are starting to break down and fall off (I've just put the grill back on with zip ties) The thought of taking it to a Dodge dealer to get the bigger things fixed, fills me with dread, as they charge like wounded rhinos and the local mechanics aren't much better.
So the question is a new truck or used and which kind? I've had two Rams and they're both pretty reliable. Had a peek at some Ford F150s and F250s without a salesman seeing me. And a quick shufty at The Nissan Titan, although it looked a bit plasticy. Bearing in mind, it's got to be a workhorse, I'd prefer a crew or quad cab and a V8 of some description. I would even consider a Utility body as that would save me schlepping my tools in and out every night. Any suggestions from people that drive any of these would be gratefully excepted.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Truck Advice

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
OK you truckers out there, my nice old 99 Dodge Ram 1500 is not doing too well at the moment, it's been abused and worked hard, but things are starting to break down and fall off (I've just put the grill back on with zip ties) The thought of taking it to a Dodge dealer to get the bigger things fixed, fills me with dread, as they charge like wounded rhinos and the local mechanics aren't much better.
So the question is a new truck or used and which kind? I've had two Rams and they're both pretty reliable. Had a peek at some Ford F150s and F250s without a salesman seeing me. And a quick shufty at The Nissan Titan, although it looked a bit plasticy. Bearing in mind, it's got to be a workhorse, I'd prefer a crew or quad cab and a V8 of some description. I would even consider a Utility body as that would save me schlepping my tools in and out every night. Any suggestions from people that drive any of these would be gratefully excepted.
Toyota?
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:22 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...php?photo=4464
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:23 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

LOL not that much of a workhorse
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Toyota?
The Tundra?
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

I do development testing for chevy, dodge, ford, and toyota to name a few.
a lot of the US manufacturers are using old school technology compared to the japanese.

I would get a toyota hands down.

Their engines run so smooth compared to the american models.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:36 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Husband had two Dodges and both were so crappy and had so many problems with them he vowed never to buy another.
Ford Rangers are pretty nice.
Nows the time to buy a truck with Gas Prices the way they are, dealerships are practically asking people to take them away. Are there any hybrid trucks available yet?
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by cabritpop
a lot of the US manufacturers are using old school technology compared to the japanese.

Oooh thanks, I shall investigate that further. You don't work for Ricardos do you?
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
Husband had two Dodges and both were so crappy and had so many problems with them he vowed never to buy another.
Nows the time to buy a truck with Gas Prices the way they are, dealerships are practically asking people to take them away. Are there any hybrid trucks available yet?
Rangers too small got to be F150 or 250 size
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Toyota are just about to bring one out, a friend of mine went in to change his small truck to a big truck and they told him to hang on a while if he could but wouldn't give him a date..
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

The Tundra?
Whatever one Osama is using nowadays

Seriously, the in-laws have one and its very nice, but admittedly they don't take it off road

I've heard nothing but praise for them.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by cabritpop

Here's a thought:
Why not buy a van? No seriously. I have noticed that the Mercedes Sprinter vans are widely available here through "freightliner" although they are badged up as Freightliners. I have seen numerous " Mercedes Sprinter vans" in both FedEx and UPS colours used for small parcel delivery. Excellent build quality and reliability of Mercedes and secure enough to not have to keep humping your tools in and out of every night. Good on fuel (diesel) and I believe the service interval is something stupid like every 20,000 or 30,000 miles (or Km's).Available in long/short wheelbase and also a heavyweight dually.
BTW, these puppies are good for well over a ton!!!

There you go, white van man US style!!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Whatever one Osama is using nowadays

Seriously, the in-laws have one and its very nice, but admittedly they don't take it off road

I've heard nothing but praise for them.
Well that's two votes for the Toyota then, to be honest I've never driven a Japanese truck, although the American ones do tend be a bit Agricultural and not very refined.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by rushman
Here's a thought:
Why not buy a van? No seriously. I have noticed that the Mercedes Sprinter vans are widely available here through "freightliner" although they are badged up as Freightliners. I have seen numerous " Mercedes Sprinter vans" in both FedEx and UPS colours used for small parcel delivery. Excellent build quality and reliability of Mercedes and secure enough to not have to keep humping your tools in and out of every night. Good on fuel (diesel) and I believe the service interval is something stupid like every 20,000 or 30,000 miles (or Km's).Available in long/short wheelbase and also a heavyweight dually.
BTW, these puppies are good for well over a ton!!!

There you go, white van man US style!!
LMAO it's a valid point, but I just can't do it I'm in America, I wanna drive a truck, this is not Essex
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:07 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a truck guy, but Toyota reliability and durability are generally hard to beat.

Toyota's use of TQM principles (totaly quality management) is unmatched in the industry, i.e. things are engineered properly from the start, and quality is integrated throughout the build process. That differs from the German and American makers that use older Ford-inspired methods, i.e. bolt the stuff together first, then try to catch the mistakes after the fact.

People who I know who have had Chevys and Dodges have almost always complained about durability problems over time. In contrast, I've known people with the smaller Toyota trucks that can rack up 250k miles on them and still run gracefully. Fords are arguably better than the GM and Dodge/Chrysler products, but build quality won't likely be a match for a Toyota.

Have a look at Consumer Reports auto buyers guides, their owner reliability surveys are generally accurate.

(After years of owning Japanese cars, I recently went German. So far so good, I just hope that I don't come to regret it.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.