Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

trip to New York - need idea of places/areas to stay

trip to New York - need idea of places/areas to stay

Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

hd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nice
Default Re: trip to New York - need idea of places/areas to stay

I agree Pavonia/Newport is nice but I think the hotels are still pretty steep as they cater for business people.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

garyrozanski is an unknown quantity at this point

hey, first time poster but may I suggest Pod Hotel (51st St E) as a cracking hotel in Manhattan. http://www.thepodhotel.com/index.php

$169 for a double room - granted its bunkbed style rooms but it's not your bog standard hostel/bunkbed.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:40 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: trip to New York - need idea of places/areas to stay

Originally Posted by garyrozanski
hey, first time poster but may I suggest Pod Hotel (51st St E) as a cracking hotel in Manhattan. http://www.thepodhotel.com/index.php

$169 for a double room - granted its bunkbed style rooms but it's not your bog standard hostel/bunkbed.
Now most people would think that is 'spam'.....but it does just happen to be the case that I did some voluntary work for a few years for Travelers Aid at Newark airport in the international arrivals hall.

A lot of pax did come to the desk asking if I could help them find somewhere to stay in NYC (I don't know how they managed to get through Immigration without an address to stay at?) and yes, a few of them did end up at the Pod Hotel. Great location and noisy/party atmosphere.....but the rooms are ultra small AFAIK.

There are dozens of threads on BE in the archives for suggestions of places to stay in NYC..
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:53 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

www.booking.com has some good deals on hotels in NYC.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Now most people would think that is 'spam'.....
Not really sure why my opinion would be thought of spam, Englishmum?

Just throwing it out there to help folk, which I thought was the whole idea of this BE forum?

oh well.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:54 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't consider $169 for a room with bunk beds to be good value at all.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tonrob
I wouldn't consider $169 for a room with bunk beds to be good value at all.
again, matter of opinion really. considering the price of the hotels in NYC then this isn't too bad. it's in a good location to get around NY. it's a well run establishment too.

a week at the Pod hotel in Oct would be around £380 each, if you can pick up a decent flight in the sales you could easily do the week for around £750. which I think is reasonable.

of course you could go out and get something cheaper. sleep in a hotel near Newark for example. it'll be great.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:27 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

again, matter of opinion really. considering the price of the hotels in NYC then this isn't too bad. it's in a good location to get around NY. it's a well run establishment too.

a week at the Pod hotel in Oct would be around £380 each, if you can pick up a decent flight in the sales you could easily do the week for around £750. which I think is reasonable.

of course you could go out and get something cheaper. sleep in a hotel near Newark for example. it'll be great.
Opinion? While rates vary seasonally and based on demand it's fairly common to find mid-range business hotels in the Courtyard, Four Points and Doubletree etc. brands in Manhattan in the $150-$200 bracket. Travelzoo regularly has offers for 4-star properties in this range. Yes - it may be a matter of opinion - some may find a hostel with bunk beds more to their liking than a proper hotel for the same price.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:29 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed in one of the chains (can't remember which - Best Western, La Quinta, one of those type deals) when we were up in the summer. We were just over the river in Queens, and it was $99/night including "breakfast" for a room that slept the 5 of us. It was clean, and a very short subway ride in. Worked for us.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tonrob
Opinion? While rates vary seasonally and based on demand it's fairly common to find mid-range business hotels in the Courtyard, Four Points and Doubletree etc. brands in Manhattan in the $150-$200 bracket. Travelzoo regularly has offers for 4-star properties in this range. Yes - it may be a matter of opinion - some may find a hostel with bunk beds more to their liking than a proper hotel for the same price.
and if you check the original post, they say they've stayed in a youth hostel before and it's not a problem. Hence, I threw the option of a very nice 'hostel' style hotel in to the pot - they can do whatever they please with that information
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not really sure why my opinion would be thought of spam, Englishmum?

Just throwing it out there to help folk, which I thought was the whole idea of this BE forum?

oh well.
It was because you put a link in your first post.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It was because you put a link in your first post.
oh ok, just making the process quicker if they wanted to check out the website. I'll bear that in mind next time.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

oh ok, just making the process quicker if they wanted to check out the website. I'll bear that in mind next time.
Don't worry about it...post as you normally would.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 12:59 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

My friend sent me a note and thanked everyone for their comments. She is going to go ahead and do more reseal now and make her choices.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 1:02 am
Just Joined

Ronisi is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Travelaxe for booking hotels. It gives a great overview and ensures
you are getting the best deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.