British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   trip to New York - need idea of places/areas to stay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/trip-new-york-need-idea-places-areas-stay-701913/)

MsElui Jan 23rd 2011 4:09 am

trip to New York - need idea of places/areas to stay

a friend from the UK has asked me the following

I am looking to come to the states in October this year, in the half term, with my friend..and we want to go to New York and stay for a week. we are looking at various websites that there are and we are coming up blank with even where to stay. When i last came we stayed in the new yorker hotel right next to macys, and the time before that a youth hostel which would also be fine.
my question is i suppose is it better to do flights and a hotel together or separate? and know of any good websites? we dont mind staying somewhere within a subway journey to new york. but honestly.. do you know where we could do that, or any decent websites that tells us this.

For instance we didnt know new jersey is a boat ride to new york lol

I hope you get what i am trying to say, just a start point to what district to stay in then we can sort flights. Where i stayed last time, the new yorker (by macys) is that called midtown? manhatten? see what i mean??? help is what i think i need lol
but as Ive never even been to New York - expect you guys may be able to offer some better advice.

Jerseygirl Jan 23rd 2011 4:17 am

Re: trip to New York - need idea of places/areas to stay

You're gonna hate me saying this...but there's been quite a few threads on NYC...where to stay...what to do...that sort of thing.

The only thing I would add to the old threads is to check the mattress carefully for bed bugs. :eek:

penguinbar Jan 23rd 2011 4:29 am

She would probably get a better rate doing a package deal. Budget plays a big part on this as well. I would be glad to help if I had more info. There are also folks who rent out their apartments (just make sure its from a legit sight or company) sometimes that works out cheaper as well.

nettlebed Jan 23rd 2011 2:47 pm

First thing with NYC is "check bedbugregistry.com"

Our favorite hotel in NYC is The Morgans at 237 Madison.

tonrob Jan 23rd 2011 4:03 pm

October isn't exactly cheap season for NYC hotels. I'd be tempted to shop around and get something cancelable now, and continue looking for improved deals as time passes. That said, we have no idea of budget, required standards and attitude towards web research (effort vs. reward) so it's impossible to make any meaningful recommendations.

MsElui Jan 24th 2011 1:50 am

she replied to me

we were looking at paying around £700, in that area, for flights taxes hotel. ish. its kind of like we want to go to woking, but stay in camberley..if you get what i mean!!

nettlebed Jan 24th 2011 1:58 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 9123900)
she replied to me [want to spend about 700 Sovs all in]

Yikes! That's about a grand in USD.For a week plus flights, etc, that's pretty much impossible without sleeping on the streets...

MsElui Jan 24th 2011 2:10 am

think thats what she meant by staying in the 'burbs' but getting access to the city. She (or I) doesnt know what the 'burbs' might be so she doesnt know what name to search for online. ie - if i wanted to see London - i could search for accomonadtion is a place like Harrow or uxbridge etc - which would be cheaper but just jump on a tube to get into central london.

Jerseygirl Jan 24th 2011 2:35 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 9123928)
think thats what she meant by staying in the 'burbs' but getting access to the city. She (or I) doesnt know what the 'burbs' might be so she doesnt know what name to search for online. ie - if i wanted to see London - i could search for accomonadtion is a place like Harrow or uxbridge etc - which would be cheaper but just jump on a tube to get into central london.

It's about a 45 min drive (on a good day) to NYC from my house. Personally if I had lots of things to do and see I would stay in town...IMO the travel isn't worth it. If you're visiting NYC for a few days (especially for the first time)...you're best to stay in the heart of it.

penguinbar Jan 24th 2011 2:53 am

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 9123912)
Yikes! That's about a grand in USD.For a week plus flights, etc, that's pretty much impossible without sleeping on the streets...

Agreed. Even if she stayed in Queens or Brooklyn it would still cost more than that.There is a hotel on Queens Boulevard called Laquinta just outside the city but even they are $150 a night plus tax. Also in NYC there is City, State and Occupancy tax on hotel rooms . It's not included in the room rate. A weekly pass on the subway at the moment is $29. They also need to eat and drink and if they want to do the tourist attractions it will really add up!

nettlebed Jan 24th 2011 3:10 am

What penguinbar and Jerseygirl (and I) said: a non-skanky hotel within reasonable (i.e. guaranteed less than 90 minutes) travel of Manhattan is going to be $120-150, plus all points north. Better to bite the bullet and stay in a hotel in Manhattan. The Morgans that I referenced in my first post starts at around $220 a night for a double room, including a good continental breakfast (includes eggs/waffles/toast/bagels plus other hot food). There is a banquette in all the rooms which means you can sleep three for that price. That price is for a 45-day advance purchase with no refund for cancellation.

If you want to push the boat out a bit, you can get the penthouse for about $3500/night (but it is around 1500 square feet.)

Ozzidoc Jan 24th 2011 3:19 am

www.airbnb.com for cheap accommodation.

Bob Jan 24th 2011 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 9124024)
www.airbnb.com for cheap accommodation.

or a hostel :D

hd44 Jan 24th 2011 6:03 pm

There are a few hotels not that far from the entrance to the Lincoln tunnel, you should be able to jump onto a bus to get into Manhattan from Jersey side and it should be really quick.

Somewhere near a Path station (on the Jersey side) would also be cheap (but not sure about the safety of those areas at night).

Ridski Jan 24th 2011 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by hd44 (Post 9125430)
There are a few hotels not that far from the entrance to the Lincoln tunnel, you should be able to jump onto a bus to get into Manhattan from Jersey side and it should be really quick.

Somewhere near a Path station (on the Jersey side) would also be cheap (but not sure about the safety of those areas at night).

Safety there ain't great, unless you stay at Pavonia/Newport. One option would be to stay one of the couple of hotels by Secaucus Junction train station, first stop out from New York Penn Station and commute in from there. They have buses from the hotel to the station, but then you're tied to the NJ Transit schedule. I can easily spend a grand in a week doing nice touristy stuff around the city and that doesn't include accommodation (but does include a lot of cocktails and nice restaurants), so I really don't know how your friend expects to make it on such a tight budget.

Oh, and there's too much junk in my spare room to pit them I'm afraid. Sorry!