Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Traveling with pets?

Traveling with pets?

Old Jun 6th 2014, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Sabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Traveling with pets?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much it cost them to fly with a cat? I paid to ship a dog to my friend at the beginning of the year and it was £1200 (she went alone) but my husband has asked me to check as there is a possibility I might move to the US rather than him coming here. Nothing is set in stone but it would be nice to have a ball park sort of figure.

Also has anyone ever taken a rabbit with them? Or am I really pushing it? He's 1.5kg..
Old Jun 6th 2014, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling with pets?

Would you want to take him on as carry on or fly him in the hold? We flew our cat in the hold and it was about 800 pounds as I recall. It's cheaper to bring them on the plane with you. I can't see why you couldn't take a rabbit as long as they pass the rabies tests... we used Pet Air UK, they were great.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Sabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think that pets were allowed in the cabin on international flights anymore? Preferably I'd like to take them in the cabin (both as my daughter is flying with me too if we go) but I didn't think it was allowed. £800 is better than £1200 I suppose and England being a rabies free country I can't see him failing it?
Old Jun 6th 2014, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if they are allowed in-cabin on flights into the US, but it could be worth a call around. We just flew back to the US from Edinburgh to Indianapolis, Indiana with our 2 cats. We used Extrordinair (who also does the DEFRA processing in Edinburgh when bringing your pets into the UK), and they charged us just under £1100 for both of them.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 3:11 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot fly a pet in the cabin from the UK, not since around this time last year.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Not sure if they are allowed in-cabin on flights into the US, but it could be worth a call around. We just flew back to the US from Edinburgh to Indianapolis, Indiana with our 2 cats. We used Extrordinair (who also does the DEFRA processing in Edinburgh when bringing your pets into the UK), and they charged us just under £1100 for both of them.
Thank you, that doesn't seem too bad I can't imagine rabbits being more than a cat especially as she will probably be 3-4kg when fully grown and he is going to be 1.5-2kg when fully grown. They have been a huge emotional support to me while I've been away from my husband (for a long time) and I could never leave them behind. As soon as my husband sorts out the details I'll be saving to take them with. I have already dealt with all the details before. Rabies vacs etc as I flew a dog to the US with under a month to sort it. But I've no idea about the rabbit I'd have to ask the vet. But I imagine they just need a good sized kennel (same as dogs but cheaper as it's smaller) for the cat and dog. The company I went with last time supplied all this and picked up the dog too which I would want this time as don't want them stressing. £1200 for both of them is a lot but it's more realistic than I thought.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sabrielle
Thank you, that doesn't seem too bad I can't imagine rabbits being more than a cat especially as she will probably be 3-4kg when fully grown and he is going to be 1.5-2kg when fully grown. They have been a huge emotional support to me while I've been away from my husband (for a long time) and I could never leave them behind. As soon as my husband sorts out the details I'll be saving to take them with. I have already dealt with all the details before. Rabies vacs etc as I flew a dog to the US with under a month to sort it. But I've no idea about the rabbit I'd have to ask the vet. But I imagine they just need a good sized kennel (same as dogs but cheaper as it's smaller) for the cat and dog. The company I went with last time supplied all this and picked up the dog too which I would want this time as don't want them stressing. £1200 for both of them is a lot but it's more realistic than I thought.
I make a round trip with my cat and dog every year. The cabin limit with my carrier is 6kgs (inc. crate) but only one dog or one cat per passenger is allowed, not too sure about a rabbit.
You must have at least an anti-rabies certificate and have a vet certify that the animal is fit for travel.
The costs are much less than the figures you have.
Sabrielle, Give me 24hrs and I’ll PM you with details.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 10:41 am
Just Joined

courtb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!

My husband and I are flying our two cats in the cabin of Lufthansa for 70 Euros each. Most airlines will not fly pets in the cabin transatlantically, but they are out there so it is worth doing some research and finding the best option for you.