Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Traveling back to U.K. with American daughter

Traveling back to U.K. with American daughter

Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Naomi999 has much to be proud ofNaomi999 has much to be proud ofNaomi999 has much to be proud ofNaomi999 has much to be proud ofNaomi999 has much to be proud ofNaomi999 has much to be proud ofNaomi999 has much to be proud ofNaomi999 has much to be proud ofNaomi999 has much to be proud ofNaomi999 has much to be proud ofNaomi999 has much to be proud of
Default Traveling back to U.K. with American daughter

I'm a U.K. citizen living in the States (have a Green Card). I'll be traveling back to the U.K. this summer for two weeks with my young daughter (she has a U.S. passport), and this time my husband won't be joining us. Does anyone know if I'll need some type of documentation or letter of consent from my husband since I'm taking a U.S. child through U.K. Customs? I don't want Immigration to think I'm kidnapping her :-( but can't find any info. online. Probably don't need any consent documentation but thought I'd ask the experts. Thanks.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling back to U.K. with American daughter

There was a thread about this very subject last year. I've tried the search facility but can't find it...can anyone help...Partystar, Blaze, Britvic?

I think the general opinion was it's best to get a notorised letter from the father of the child giving permission for the child to be taken overseas.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 19th 2007 at 9:52 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:46 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I know of no such requirements to provide proof of that sort. In a custody dispute, I think the onus is on the other spouse to 'stop' you rather than for you to prove you can 'go'.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I know of no such requirements to provide proof of that sort. In a custody dispute, I think the onus is on the other spouse to 'stop' you rather than for you to prove you can 'go'.
naaa...it's proof you can go....it ain't a requirement, but it's better to have than not to, and a notorised letter will do the job.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

May be it's best to get Hub's to write some sort of letter, but I doubt very much if you will be asked to show it, I've never had to
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:21 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I was never asked anything. I think it's quite a common situation.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 4:55 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken our dual citizen daughter to England quite a bit and have never been asked for the letter authorising me to take her out of the country, with the dates noted in it, but I've always had it with me. Probably helped that hubby dropped us off and waved at us through security.