Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel to US for Permanent Residents Parent

Travel to US for Permanent Residents Parent

Old Jul 23rd 2020, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel to US for Permanent Residents Parent

Taking care of your grandchild is considered "work"? Interesting.

- Eric S.

Old Jul 23rd 2020, 9:50 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Point is that someone could receive remuneration for the task, that's what Boiler is saying.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 10:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
My original response, which I later edited, stated that I thought it came dangerously close to the definition of work. It's not something that a simple semantic change couldn't fix though. The Mother is coming to provide emotional support for the spouse while they recuperate, they are not care giving in any way.
I agree. This argument has a long history on these forums.

Not doable under a B2 either. One cannot work (that includes renumerated work) on anything other than a work visa.
Originally Posted by Eric S

- Eric S.
Yes it is considered work because you hire someone to do these things, i.e. housework, cooking, infant caring. Just as a visitor cannot do volunteer work that someone is paid to do, this is really the same thing.

You want your mother to come to visit during the hospitalization is one thing but to bring her to the US because it is necessary for her to take over the care of your family while your wife recuperates from surgery is something else entirely.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 23rd 2020 at 10:10 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eric S

- Eric S.
Have you ever tried it?
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by navman
Why would she have to quarantine anywhere apart from home?
Assuming home is in the UK so she would qualify to seek entry to the US.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 10:40 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Point is that someone could receive remuneration for the task, that's what Boiler is saying.
I have always wondered about such a distinction. My USC MIL is not paid when she looks after my sons, if my mother was to visit it would be the same. I get the point is that a foreign grandparent can’t come and live here for 90/180 days (VW-T/ B2) and replace a nanny when a parent returns to work.

I remember this debate multiple times on here, this being one of the the more interesting treads: H4 visa and being a Non-Exec Director
Old Jul 24th 2020, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Have you ever tried it?
Ha ha! Yes!

- Eric S.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I have always wondered about such a distinction. My USC MIL is not paid when she looks after my sons, if my mother was to visit it would be the same. I get the point is that a foreign grandparent can’t come and live here for 90/180 days (VW-T/ B2) and replace a nanny when a parent returns to work.

I remember this debate multiple times on here, this being one of the the more interesting treads: H4 visa and being a Non-Exec Director
Of course, we all know that grandma does not mention looking after the kids, just says visiting family.......
Old Jul 28th 2020, 9:33 am
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by navman
Thank you for sharing this article, I will reach out to the London Embassy non immigrant visa dept and seek guidance, my mother does not have a valid ESTA (expired in March), I was going to apply for an ESTA this morning and see what happens.

I guess the best way is to contact the Embassy, seek guidance and then proceed if approved with either a B2 visa or ESTA application.
What was the outcome of the ESTA application? Was it approved?. Have the questions been changed recently? Did you do the application from the USA or did your mother do it from the UK?. Did it ask you any questions to identify you or your mother's location? I ask the final 3 questions because my reading of the FAQ question in UK/Ireland proclamation appears to imply consequences for lying about having been in the UK in the last 14 days. But whom would you lie to when you are coming off a UK based flight? Or does that proclamation wording imply that ESTA from applicants currently in UK will denied based upon where that application is processed from.