Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel to US for Permanent Residents Parent

Travel to US for Permanent Residents Parent

Old Jul 22nd 2020, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

navman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel to US for Permanent Residents Parent

I am a US legal Permanent resident based in California.

I understood that travel from the UK the US for non US residents is banned until I read this article today:https://www.godsavethepoints.com/usa...m=BoardingArea

My mother resides in the UK and usually enters the US under the Visa waiver program, my wife is due to have surgery late next month and I would like my mother to be here to help out and take care of our infant.

Can my mother enter the US under the VWP or any other Visa program or is there a way to seek special approval to allow her to enter the US?

Any advice / assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jul 22nd 2020, 10:29 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel to US for Permanent Residents Parent

Can my mother enter the US under the VWP or any other Visa program or is there a way to seek special approval to allow her to enter the US?
The article you link gives you the answer to this question. She can make an appointment in London and they will make a determination in advance.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
The article you link gives you the answer to this question. She can make an appointment in London and they will make a determination in advance.

Thanks, under the Visas listed in the link that won't be possible as these are sponsored and take some time to obtain, under what other visa requirements can she make an appointment? VWP or B1 / B2? Can one apply for an ESTA and see if it is approved for travel?

Last edited by navman; Jul 22nd 2020 at 1:42 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 1:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

B2 would be the most appropriate. I would not travel on ESTA right now, we had a thread just yesterday where an ESTA was cancelled at the airport.

Esta revoked after check in.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for sharing this article, I will reach out to the London Embassy non immigrant visa dept and seek guidance, my mother does not have a valid ESTA (expired in March), I was going to apply for an ESTA this morning and see what happens.

I guess the best way is to contact the Embassy, seek guidance and then proceed if approved with either a B2 visa or ESTA application.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

An ESTA would likely be approved because it's valid for 2 years. Assuming nothing has changed to be make her inadmissible based on health/character then there's no reason why it wouldn't be approved. But an approved ESTA doesn't get her into the country. Being approved by ESTA and being admitted into the country are two separate matters. All the ESTA does is allow you to request permission to enter.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by navman
I am a US legal Permanent resident based in California.

I understood that travel from the UK the US for non US residents is banned until I read this article today:https://www.godsavethepoints.com/usa...m=BoardingArea

My mother resides in the UK and usually enters the US under the Visa waiver program, my wife is due to have surgery late next month and I would like my mother to be here to help out and take care of our infant.

Any advice / assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I don't see anything in that link that says your mother can come for a personal, family visit. It mentions business needs, academics, students and certain visa classes. Nothing about B-2 or VWP visitors.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Either way special dispensation is required to enter the country, I would think that the best option is to seek pre-approval to enter either on VWP or a B visa.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by navman
Either way special dispensation is required to enter the country, I would think that the best option is to seek pre-approval to enter either on VWP or a B visa.
No harm in trying. Please keep us updated on the outcome. I am also an LPR wanting a family member to be able to travel for humanitarian reasons so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

I have sent an email requesting entry under an ESTA, i do not have much hope under that as almost everything references a DS-160.

If DS-160 is the only way, does anybody know what is the earliest appointment time that is available? Looking for before August 14th
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Currently she would have to quarantine somewhere else for 2 weeks.I have certainly read of people visiting having spent 2 weeks in Mexico.

Also the child care issue, not something doable under VWP/B.

Old Jul 23rd 2020, 12:09 pm
Often not so civil...

My original response, which I later edited, stated that I thought it came dangerously close to the definition of work. It's not something that a simple semantic change couldn't fix though. The Mother is coming to provide emotional support for the spouse while they recuperate, they are not care giving in any way.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That would be fine, the take care of the infant bit caught my attention.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Currently she would have to quarantine somewhere else for 2 weeks.I have certainly read of people visiting having spent 2 weeks in Mexico.

Also the child care issue, not something doable under VWP/B.
Why would she have to quarantine anywhere apart from home?

Also if VWP is definitely a no go I should apply for a B2 Visa, any idea on costs and appointment availability?
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 9:03 pm
Often not so civil...

Not doable under a B2 either. One cannot work (that includes renumerated work) on anything other than a work visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.