Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel To the states while waiting an interview

Travel To the states while waiting an interview

Old Oct 30th 2020, 9:07 am
Just Joined

XBricemanX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel To the states while waiting an interview

Was looking for some advice on whether its a good idea to travel to the US right now. I've not seen my wife in 7 months. I realize that a lot of people here are in the same boat as me and my wife, and my heart felt sympathies go out to all of you. I believe you are all legends for enduring such a painful situation. We have no idea of when we will be getting an interview and sure many of you are in the same limbo state. We were DQ'ed in September but it would appear that all timelines are out of the window at this stage.
I'm thinking of just booking a plane ticket and going to see my wife. I'm in a fortunate position of being able to do my work from there and would not need to book time off. But I was looking for some advice as to whether this would be advisable and if anyone has traveled during the time of Covid to the states. And what they took to convince they were going to return.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel To the states while waiting an interview

Originally Posted by XBricemanX
... I'm in a fortunate position of being able to do my work from there and would not need to book time off.
What do you mean by this? You need US work authorization to work while being physically present in the USA.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
What do you mean by this? You need US work authorization to work while being physically present in the USA.
I mean I can video call my clients back in England, so I wouldn't need to book time off. I can work from home as it were. I not actually working for a US company. Or do you feel this would be an issue?
Old Oct 30th 2020, 11:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking of just booking a plane ticket and going to see my wife.
Looks like you're in the UK so that's not possible at the moment anyway, unless you spend 14 days in another country that isn't on the banned list first and travel from there instead?
Old Oct 30th 2020, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Looks like you're in the UK so that's not possible at the moment anyway, unless you spend 14 days in another country that isn't on the banned list first and travel from there instead?
I thought I was exempt as I married to a US citizen.
" Sec. 2. Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry.
(a) Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(i) any lawful permanent resident of the United States;

(ii) any alien who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;"
Old Oct 30th 2020, 11:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I was exempt as I married to a US citizen.
" Sec. 2. Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry.
(a) Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(i) any lawful permanent resident of the United States;

(ii) any alien who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;"
Doh! Yes, so sorry, forgot that bit.

As above, you can't work in the US (regardless of where your clients are) without authorisation though, so do factor that in, hopefully you can take a holiday though. Or your wife could travel here? There's no restrictions on her entering the UK.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Doh! Yes, so sorry, forgot that bit.

As above, you can't work in the US (regardless of where your clients are) without authorisation though, so do factor that in, hopefully you can take a holiday though. Or your wife could travel here? There's no restrictions on her entering the UK.
Unfortunately my wife can't come this way.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

I mean I can video call my clients back in England, so I wouldn't need to book time off. I can work from home as it were. I not actually working for a US company. Or do you feel this would be an issue?
It's irrelavent whether you're working for a US company or not.

Without work authorisation it's illegal to do any work while in the US.

Whether you get caught is a different matter.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 2:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Under the VWP (which is your mode of entering the US if you were able to do so that is), you are NOT able to work remotely from the US, And yes, that includes video calls.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 2:42 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, the definition of work is whether you are doing the same day-to-day activities in the US that you would be doing in the UK on this job? The fact that you are paid in the UK, or that this is a UK company, or that the clients are in the UK and you are simply Zooming to them does not change this.

Technically you'll need a work permit.

Last edited by penguinsix; Oct 30th 2020 at 2:47 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for every ones advice so far. Its not a worry for me to not work. I can take the needed time off and just shorten my visit. It just would have meant I could spend more time with my wife. But even a short visit is better than not seeing her and waiting for an interview that we have no idea when its going to happen. I certainly won't put our application at risk.
So does anyone know if its worth making the journey to America right now on my ESTA?
Old Oct 30th 2020, 3:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If you took the time to look at the travel ban list, you would see that you are prohibited from entering the US at this time due to COVID. With the upswing in cases, I doubt that will change any time this year. Guess you're just going to have to grin and bear it.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...countries.html

It was updated on 9/14/2020
Old Oct 30th 2020, 3:47 pm
Concierge

Some people have mentioned traveling to Mexico and quarantining there for 14 days and then coming to the US. Don't know if that will work.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
If you took the time to look at the travel ban list, you would see that you are prohibited from entering the US at this time due to COVID. With the upswing in cases, I doubt that will change any time this year. Guess you're just going to have to grin and bear it.

Rete, if you'd took the time to look at the full thread, you'd see that he is exempt from the ban due to being the spouse of a USC.

OP - I don't think you're able to enter on the visa waiver program (ESTA) though, I think you'd need to apply for a B visa from the embassy. I could be wrong though - may warrant more research.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete

As it’s been pointed out I am exempt from the travel ban. I would not have started the thread had I not checked that.
Thank for pointing out the obvious though. Always worth being reminded😳🙄

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.