Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

travel restrictions for Europeans?

travel restrictions for Europeans?

Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travel restrictions for Europeans?

[QUOTE=Elvira;5815081]
Originally Posted by KJ2007
Flies in the face of this now doesn't it?

"the United States should launch an international promotion campaign to better communicate U.S. travel policies and attract more international visitors."

Eh............
Yeah - two govt. groups working toward programs that work against each other.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:54 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Would some of you who've been to American consulates or embassies abroad comment on the following?

In the Amsterdam consulate, the glossy posters and beautiful posters of Our Fair Land only graced the *US citizen services* room -- and were not visible unless you were in that room. The non-USC room -- where people would apply for non-immigrant visas to enter the US for example -- was bleak and austere. Not a single poster anywhere. Granted, the Netherlands is a VWP country, but there were a LOT of people in the non-USC room.

We don't advertise tourism as a country; perhaps it would appear too jingoistic if we did? Other countries do. Disneyworld is a company, not a country. Has anyone seen advertising for US tourism when they've visited or lived abroad?

I get the serious impression that the US doesn't want any tourists!

We'll do our bit in March: www.sxsw.com
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:13 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Would some of you who've been to American consulates or embassies abroad comment on the following?

In the Amsterdam consulate, the glossy posters and beautiful posters of Our Fair Land only graced the *US citizen services* room -- and were not visible unless you were in that room. The non-USC room -- where people would apply for non-immigrant visas to enter the US for example -- was bleak and austere. Not a single poster anywhere. Granted, the Netherlands is a VWP country, but there were a LOT of people in the non-USC room.

We don't advertise tourism as a country; perhaps it would appear too jingoistic if we did? Other countries do. Disneyworld is a company, not a country. Has anyone seen advertising for US tourism when they've visited or lived abroad?

Sore point this. When we went for visa stamping in London, we queued for over 2 hours outside, and another 2 hours inside. Luckily this was in the summer, and the weather was nice. But there was no place to get any refreshments and (whilst outside) nowhere to go for a pee. There were families with young children in the line who got quite distressed. I can only imagine what it must be like when it's cold and/or raining...

And yes, the room where we waited inside was *very* austere.

And this was just for visa stamping, i.e. not a new application or anything requiring any kind of interview.

I wish our government would indulge in some quid-pro-quo
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Amy, I did notice some jingoistic signs in the airport in Puerto Rico. They were from the US gov't ans were promoting the fact that a US citizen did not need a passport to visit PR.

Of coure, by virtue of the fact that the signs were in the airport IN Puerto Rico, I'm not sure of the sense of all that.... (if you're already there, do you need to know that?)
I guess they are for the benefit of USCs transiting through from other islands. It just seemed silly to me.

And no, no 'Visit America!' posters in evidence in the US Embassy Athens.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
""It claimed he had suggested to the British government that British Pakistanis would have to apply for visas before travelling to the US.""

What a fool this man is....there is obviously nothing to worry about in Britain whatsoever.
Attached Thumbnails travel restrictions for Europeans?-terrorvo5.jpg   travel restrictions for Europeans?-london.bmp   travel restrictions for Europeans?-file002.jpg  
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
What a fool this man is....
In the version of the story that ran in my local rag, Chertoff told us we (Americans) needed to 'grow up'.

They're getting ready to riot on the Canadian border.. DHS has no clue of the impact of their decisions.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:43 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
They're getting ready to riot on the Canadian border.. DHS has no clue of the impact of their decisions.
Rioting Canadians?

Who's bringing the doughnuts and beer?
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Rioting Canadians?

Hopefully not Willmore.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:27 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Rioting Canadians?

An angry Canadian.
(Attitude as cute as she is)
Attached Thumbnails travel restrictions for Europeans?-avril.jpg  
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:49 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Xebedee
An angry Canadian.
(Attitude as cute as she is)
Avril Lavigne? She rocks.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:56 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Avril Lavigne? She rocks.
She doth.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

There's a tv commercial currently running in the UK advertising the US as a tourist destination. I think it's a re-run of an old commercial - at least i'm sure i've seen it before somewhere. It consists of a number of movie clips from such films as Maid in Manhattan and Sweet Home Alabama, with the closing line - "you've seen the movie, now visit the film-set" or something along those lines.

I think it may be from Visit America. So it appears at least someone somewhere is trying to drum-up trade.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The UK consulate, have to say the shitter was one of the nastiest places I've seen for a public loo...saying that, only matched by the doctors they used for the medical up the road

Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:02 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The UK consulate, have to say the shitter was one of the nastiest places I've seen for a public loo...saying that, only matched by the doctors they used for the medical up the road
I remember seeing the pics of the doc's toilet-it was odd............
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
[IWhat a fool this man is....there is obviously nothing to worry about in Britain whatsoever.
The question is really whether requiring visas woud meaningfully add to security over and above current measures. I'm doubtful. And how are you going to define "British Pakistanis"? Additionally, it's likely to add to anti-US resentment, which is obviously already at extremely unhealthy levels.