Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance for oldies - urgent advice needed!

Travel insurance for oldies - urgent advice needed!

Old May 31st 2007, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold
Default Travel insurance for oldies - urgent advice needed!

Hi there!

I am hoping that someone, perhaps living in the USA with elderly parents in UK, may be able to give me some urgent advice.

My father is due to visit his partner's family in Atlanta in three weeks time. My father is 82 and has angina. Last year he booked this holiday insurance through Tesco (very expensive but this was expected). This year they won't do it. Flights are booked and he can't find an insurance company that will insure him, mainly because of his age.

I was wondering if anyone, perhaps with parents who are of this age group who fly out to see them, can recommend a UK insurance company? Perhaps he can he be insured from the USA end and if so, which companies can we approach?

Any info greatly received.

Lara
Old May 31st 2007, 8:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel insurance for oldies - urgent advice needed!

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Hi there!

I am hoping that someone, perhaps living in the USA with elderly parents in UK, may be able to give me some urgent advice.

My father is due to visit his partner's family in Atlanta in three weeks time. My father is 82 and has angina. Last year he booked this holiday insurance through Tesco (very expensive but this was expected). This year they won't do it. Flights are booked and he can't find an insurance company that will insure him, mainly because of his age.

I was wondering if anyone, perhaps with parents who are of this age group who fly out to see them, can recommend a UK insurance company? Perhaps he can he be insured from the USA end and if so, which companies can we approach?

Lara
I had this problem a few years ago with my FIL following a heart attack. The only way I managed to do it was to shop around travel agents. I eventually found one but we had to book the tickets through them.
Old May 31st 2007, 8:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

might have some luck searching through the forum for the various threads on the subject, might have some luck in finding companies...
Old May 31st 2007, 8:10 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

I am hoping that someone, perhaps living in the USA with elderly parents in UK, may be able to give me some urgent advice.............Lara
Have you tried SAGA?
Old May 31st 2007, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

age concern may be an option but may find age is the problem
Old May 31st 2007, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Have tried Saga and Age Concern. Saga wouldn't insure because of angina and Age Concern were helpful but gave names of a couple of companies who wouldn't insure because of age. Not many people his age globe-trotting outside of Europe I suppose.

Was really surprised at Saga - their web site was so promising!
Old May 31st 2007, 8:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

.........Was really surprised at Saga - their web site was so promising!
How many people did you speak to at Saga - what seniority level were those people? It's just that Iwouldn't take the word of just one person who happens to answer the phone.
Old May 31st 2007, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
age concern may be an option but may find age is the problem
There was a thread on this a month or so back, my Mum had the same issue. SAGA and Age Concern were out as she was over 80, unless they have changed recently.

I have lost the link for the company, but a search on this board will find it.
Old May 31st 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

Lara
Mum used Asda But i dont know if they have an upper age limit as she is 68.
We used to use Journeywise.They go up to 65 then you have to transfer to a sister company. Sorry but i cant remember what they are called.
Not much help really. But maybe if you called Journeywise they would pass you on or be able to tell you what to do for the best.

Good luck
Old Jun 1st 2007, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

not sure if this helps but they do look at pre existing conditions

http://www.the-insurance-surgery.co.uk/index.htm
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

www.medi-cover.co.uk are excellent for pre-existing conditions, but I do not know if they have an age limit.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Lots of leads here.

Managed to find a company which will give a definite yes/no after a questionnaire has been filled in by doctor. Also, Medicover gave online quote - £1,800 for 18 days. May have to follow that one up second choice, bit expensive. Saga a definite no, no. Help the Aged does one too and that is another route if first fails (another form for the doctor).

You've all been great - thanks again!
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Lots of leads here.

Managed to find a company which will give a definite yes/no after a questionnaire has been filled in by doctor. Also, Medicover gave online quote - £1,800 for 18 days. May have to follow that one up second choice, bit expensive. Saga a definite no, no. Help the Aged does one too and that is another route if first fails (another form for the doctor).

You've all been great - thanks again!
Yikes 100 GBP per day!
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:09 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yikes 100 GBP per day!
indeed!!!
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yikes 100 GBP per day!
suddenly the air fair no longer seems to bad