Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

travel insurance

travel insurance

Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

mymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nice
Default travel insurance

about to get travel insurance - we're moving in feb, intending a 3 weekish holiday home in july and again in december - can we get travel insurance just to cover our "one way" journey out, then should we get annual multi-trip cover from US rather than here?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travel insurance

Originally Posted by mymatemarmite
about to get travel insurance - we're moving in feb, intending a 3 weekish holiday home in july and again in december - can we get travel insurance just to cover our "one way" journey out, then should we get annual multi-trip cover from US rather than here?
I wouldn't bother for your one way trip to the USA - I didn't.

Your medical insurance carrier in the US should cover emergencies in the UK, but maybe not the cost of your scheduled flights.

Repatriation, probably, but check with your insurance provider.

Jim.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

UK travel insurance won't cover holiday trips back to the UK.

Travel insurance won't cover one way travel either. There are other threads on this though with a couple of recommendations that might help you out.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 12:16 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Just before Christmas I went thru the hoops this end trying to get some travel insurance as it was compulsory for a couple of activity holidays we had booked. One was from the UK, but the UK travel agent couldn't sell us insurance as we are US resident - For a lot (all?) of the UK travel insurance, it seems you need to be a UK resident and/or starting your holiday in the UK.

So I started looking for travel insurance here - there wasn't a great choice, and what there was was phenomenally expensive compared to the annual policies we used to have when we lived elsewhere. It seems not many people here take travel insurance, and to be fair, we hadn't in the last 10 years either...

I ended up booking short term policies with World Nomad which weren't exactly cheap, but at least were almost reasonable. We're processing a claim on one of those now (wife fell under a ski lift and clunked her back pretty good) and all appears going smoothly with the claim, although the proof of the pudding will be when the money arrives in the bank! Check them out at something like worldnomad.com. Or google them. And if you find anything better, let me know!
Old Jan 13th 2012, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

mymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Just before Christmas I went thru the hoops this end trying to get some travel insurance as it was compulsory for a couple of activity holidays we had booked. One was from the UK, but the UK travel agent couldn't sell us insurance as we are US resident - For a lot (all?) of the UK travel insurance, it seems you need to be a UK resident and/or starting your holiday in the UK.

So I started looking for travel insurance here - there wasn't a great choice, and what there was was phenomenally expensive compared to the annual policies we used to have when we lived elsewhere. It seems not many people here take travel insurance, and to be fair, we hadn't in the last 10 years either...

I ended up booking short term policies with World Nomad which weren't exactly cheap, but at least were almost reasonable. We're processing a claim on one of those now (wife fell under a ski lift and clunked her back pretty good) and all appears going smoothly with the claim, although the proof of the pudding will be when the money arrives in the bank! Check them out at something like worldnomad.com. Or google them. And if you find anything better, let me know!
thanks! will check them out
Old Jun 20th 2012, 10:57 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but just wanted to feedback on World Nomad insurance.

Its taken a while, but we got the check today for the medical bills we incurred last November. To be fair, some of the delay was down to my wife as well, as she had had a hectic start to the year and it kept slipping down the "to do" list, but even so, it was a fairly tortuous process, with us having to send them repeat copies of documents we'd already submitted etc, but they did pay eventually. All's well that ends well and all that.....
Old Jun 21st 2012, 4:30 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but just wanted to feedback on World Nomad insurance.

Its taken a while, but we got the check today for the medical bills we incurred last November. To be fair, some of the delay was down to my wife as well, as she had had a hectic start to the year and it kept slipping down the "to do" list, but even so, it was a fairly tortuous process, with us having to send them repeat copies of documents we'd already submitted etc, but they did pay eventually. All's well that ends well and all that.....
Some terrible reviews of them here http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews102077.html
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 5:08 am

Yeah, a few along the lines of ours - lots or repeated documentation required.

To be fair, a lot of those bad reviews were people who were stupid enough to pay their money without reading what their coverage was for. Not a lot of sympathy there......

All in all, based on the recent experience, I think we'd still use them again.