Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring money from UK to USA

Transferring money from UK to USA

Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

vulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring money from UK to USA

Today I transferred GBP 1000.00 from my UK account to my US account using TransferWise. I have their app on my phone. Proceeds USD 1292.38 after a charge of GBP 4.98.

Communication is excellent, within seconds they acknowledged my order and within minutes they acknowledge receipt of GBPs via FasterPayments. The USDs are scheduled to arrive in my US account by close of business Monday. However from experience I expect to receive it late Friday or Saturday.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

vulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond repute

As you can see from my message above yesterday I initiated an exchange and transfer of GBPs from my UK account to USDs for my current account here in Texas.

This morning it was in my US account.

That's a very competitive exchange rate at lightening speed.

Last edited by vulcan; Jun 30th 2017 at 2:22 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 2:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vulcan
.... That's a very competitive exchange rate at lightening speed.
That's because the money didn't really move - you paid money into their GBP account in the UK, and they paid you USD from their account in the US.

I do the same thing for my mother when she wants to send a cash gift to my daughter - my mother deposits money into my account in the UK, and I pay my daughter cash from the ATM. There is no transfer fee, the exchange is at the mid rate, and the transfer can take as little as a few seconds.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

brokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone get asked for their passwords and bank id? this is something that would worry me
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 7:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brokenhearted.
Anyone get asked for their passwords and bank id? this is something that would worry me
Yes quite often, usually when I log into my bank account.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury

Yes quite often, usually when I log into my bank account.
Yes, correct- when you log into your account. And when you set up the transfer there is NO need to give it.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

brokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond repute

I apologise i realise i was pretty vague there! What I meant to ask was a question regarding transferwise. I was making an account - got as far as telling them the amount and all details when i was asked to provide them with my user id and password for my bank - just seemed extremely odd.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brokenhearted.
I apologise i realise i was pretty vague there! What I meant to ask was a question regarding transferwise. I was making an account - got as far as telling them the amount and all details when i was asked to provide them with my user id and password for my bank - just seemed extremely odd.
If you want them to “pull” money out of your account using an ACH transfer then this is a way to authorize that, similar to setting up a direct debit. You can always change your password afterwards.

If you want to “push” money to them then you can do that with a wire transfer. After you tell them how much to transfer they provide you with their bank details and you set them up as a payee in your bank account and send them the money. Once they have received it they send the converted amount to your receiving bank.

Sometimes when doing a transfer they will inform me that I can save money by wiring it to them, the last time this happened was this week on a $3,000 transfer and the savings by doing a wire was about $20, however my bank charges $30 to send a wire transfer so I chose the ACH method, and I don’t get asked my user id and password as it is already set up with them for ACH transfers.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Sometimes when doing a transfer they will inform me that I can save money by wiring it to them, the last time this happened was this week on a $3,000 transfer and the savings by doing a wire was about $20, however my bank charges $30 to send a wire transfer so I chose the ACH method, and I don’t get asked my user id and password as it is already set up with them for ACH transfers.
If you transfer $3,000 from UK to USA, the charge is $12, with no other charges whatsoever. If they were to offer a saving of over $12 they would be losing money. It seems strange that they would offer a $20 saving.
Old Aug 5th 2018, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vespucci
If you transfer $3,000 from UK to USA, the charge is $12, with no other charges whatsoever. If they were to offer a saving of over $12 they would be losing money. It seems strange that they would offer a $20 saving.
I never transfer UK to USA so can’t really comment on your post and apologize since I realize this thread is about UK to US transfers, not the other way round.

I had been having an email conversation with a friend over the last few weeks about this as I had never seen this option for such small transfers but he said that he had seen the option as he transfers his pension twice a month while the exchange rates US to UK are so good. I usually let mine accumulate and transfer larger amounts less frequently so was surprised to see the option this time.

Last edited by durham_lad; Aug 5th 2018 at 7:00 am.
Old Aug 5th 2018, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

The charges for the transfer US to UK are not as good as that. This is the recent transfer I made of $3,000
Hello xxxx,

2,289.72 GBP is on its way to xxxx. The money should be in the bank account by today, August 3.

The USD to GBP rate was 0.76814. The fee was 19.14 USD.

Track your transfer
Old Aug 5th 2018, 5:50 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad

I never transfer UK to USA so can’t really comment on your post and apologize since I realize this thread is about UK to US transfers, not the other way round.

I had been having an email conversation with a friend over the last few weeks about this as I had never seen this option for such small transfers but he said that he had seen the option as he transfers his pension twice a month while the exchange rates US to UK are so good. I usually let mine accumulate and transfer larger amounts less frequently so was surprised to see the option this time.
If it was transferwise the other poster was talking about there are fee options on UK to US transfers now too. For £3000 the base fee is £12.80 if you do an online transfer from your bank yourself. If you pay with a debit or credit card each has an extra fee involved. I think there maybe another payment method which again has an extra fee but am not certain.
Old Aug 5th 2018, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

I have transferred money from UK to USA about 10 times (but never the other way round) and never paid a fee other than Transferwise's regular fee, which is 0.4% or a little above (A week ago I transferred 3,500 pounds and the fee was 14-74 pounds). I always use online bank transfer. There is no need to pay any other fee, and if a customer chooses to pay another fee by choosing another payment method, I doubt if it goes to Transferwise. So I found it puzzling why they offer a $20 saving for a wire transfer, when anyway my online transfer in the UK is instant and Transferwise email me immediately that they've received the money. Perhaps the explanation is that as DL's transfers are USA to UK, and online transfers in the US are not instant, they need to do this at times when UK to US transactions far exceed US to UK.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

I have transferred money from UK to USA about 10 times (but never the other way round) and never paid a fee other than Transferwise's regular fee, which is 0.4% or a little above (A week ago I transferred 3,500 pounds and the fee was 14-74 pounds). I always use online bank transfer. There is no need to pay any other fee, and if a customer chooses to pay another fee by choosing another payment method, I doubt if it goes to Transferwise. So I found it puzzling why they offer a $20 saving for a wire transfer, when anyway my online transfer in the UK is instant and Transferwise email me immediately that they've received the money. Perhaps the explanation is that as DL's transfers are USA to UK, and online transfers in the US are not instant, they need to do this at times when UK to US transactions far exceed US to UK.
I think you have hit the nail on the head. US bank to bank transfers using ACH (free) are very slow while wire transfers (fee) are instant. As I say, the option to do a wire is not always presented but I just checked the date on the example I gave above and it was August 3rd, a Friday, meaning that the US bank to bank ACH would not have happened until Monday. (If a Monday is a bank holiday it takes another day).