Reload this Page >

Having UK Pension cheque sent to USA

Having UK Pension cheque sent to USA

Old Aug 6th 2018, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

bronwyn99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having UK Pension cheque sent to USA

Hi everyone - here's my dilemma:

I have a small UK pension pot (about £3400) in a private (not state) pension find that I am eligible to withdraw in full having reaching 55. I paid into it for about 10 years as a UK resident with indefinite leave.

The problem is I have been back in the US (I'm a US citizen) for over a year and I no longer have a UK bank account.

The fund is making me jump through hoops to prove who I am - fair enough - but they are insistent that the money must be wired to a UK bank account.

My question is: don't I have the right, once I have proven who I am and where I live etc., to have a paper cheque sent to me? They do charge me monthly administration fees.

Thanks - I hope someone has some experience with this.

B.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having UK Pension cheque sent to USA

Originally Posted by bronwyn99
Hi everyone - here's my dilemma:

I have a small UK pension pot (about £3400) in a private (not state) pension find that I am eligible to withdraw in full having reaching 55. I paid into it for about 10 years as a UK resident with indefinite leave.

The problem is I have been back in the US (I'm a US citizen) for over a year and I no longer have a UK bank account.

The fund is making me jump through hoops to prove who I am - fair enough - but they are insistent that the money must be wired to a UK bank account.

My question is: don't I have the right, once I have proven who I am and where I live etc., to have a paper cheque sent to me? They do charge me monthly administration fees.

Thanks - I hope someone has some experience with this.

B.
Not sure it's a question of a "right". It comes down to the terms of business of the pension provider. One solution may be a Transferwise Borderless Account, which will give you UK bank account details.
https://transferwise.com/us/borderless/
Old Aug 6th 2018, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

bronwyn99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks MidAtlantic, will look into it now!
Old Aug 6th 2018, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for Transferwise