Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring Masters Studies

Transferring Masters Studies

Old Oct 24th 2012, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

COSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really nice
Default Transferring Masters Studies

Hello All

Yet another question - bit of an unusual one.

I'm headed over to CO on the K1 (unless I get a job offer in Sport that can get me a quicker visa prior to that!).

I'm currently half way through an MBA, having completed my Postgraduate Certificate (60 UK credits, roughly equivalent so I read to 15 US credits).

I've been talking to a couple of Universities who may well be able to let me join their program (University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, and also University of Northern Colorado) - but both seem to transfer a max of 6 credits.

Is this a common experience? Is there a good way of doing this?

Would the best advice be to complete the MBA at UCCS (needing 30 further credits I believe), or to continue via a distance learning route in the UK?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 11:18 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring Masters Studies

That really depends on where you want to go with it long term.

In my opinion, the value of an MBA is more affected by the institution it is gained from than other degrees. You have the top tier places (Harvard, London Business School, etc. etc, etc.) which are known throughout the world, and cost an arm, leg and then some.

For anything other than top tier institutions, if you are hoping to use it in and around the Colorado area for finding work, I would have thought an MBA from Colorado has more value/recognition than where you are doing it in the UK - I'm making the assumption you are not doing it at LBS here.

So you may not be able to transfer the full value of what you have done, but you will get far more value from the qualification if it is completed in the USA rather than one from the UK, which will not be well/at all known in the local market.

I'm ignoring costs involved in either solution here, and just focusing on the end value of the product.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As above, I think long term goals are important....but on practical fronts, probably able to continue to do it online via the UK and just get it finished, if you're going it full time in a year rather than in a couple of years and be a hell of a lot cheaper.

All depends on what kind of work and where you want to find work that makes it worth doing locally or not though. MBA is as common as dishwater here that it doesn't really mean much, unless it's from a top tier place, but on the other hand, if you're looking to work locally it does help build up a network of contacts and a local alumni will be more helpful. If your plans are to move to a bigger hub or especially back to the UK at some point though, going local might not be as good.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 2:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
As above, I think long term goals are important....but on practical fronts, probably able to continue to do it online via the UK and just get it finished, if you're going it full time in a year rather than in a couple of years and be a hell of a lot cheaper.

All depends on what kind of work and where you want to find work that makes it worth doing locally or not though. MBA is as common as dishwater here that it doesn't really mean much, unless it's from a top tier place, but on the other hand, if you're looking to work locally it does help build up a network of contacts and a local alumni will be more helpful. If your plans are to move to a bigger hub or especially back to the UK at some point though, going local might not be as good.
Continuing it on line is what I was going to suggest. My daughter and SIL are doing a MBA with a UK uni online. They have virtual tutorials with other students around the world. Downside is some tutorials are very early in the morning.