Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

L1 visa and mortgage

L1 visa and mortgage

Old Oct 19th 2012, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default L1 visa and mortgage

Bit off topic but related to L1 visa.

Can I get a mortgage on a house in USA with a L1 visa?
I would be starting with zero credit rating I guess.

But our down payment will be a significant amount. Maybe 70% cost of the home.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 visa and mortgage

You possibly could get a mortgage if you went to the right lender, there's nothing to stop someone on an L1 getting mortgage. If you take my advice though, if you go ahead with the L1, and get everything sorted out regarding your fiance and your son's visa's, then you would be much better renting for the first year or two. It will allow you to decide whether you have picked the right neighborhood or would like to move somewhere else. Also, if you're getting an L1, you should also ask them about incorporating a date into the contract, by which they'll apply for your green cards. Huge risk buying a house before you get your permanent residency, take it from me, I've done it and have night sweats wondering if we've done the right thing, so a lot for you to think about
Old Oct 19th 2012, 8:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
Yes. You will need to shop around for a lender, since you won't have any US credit history.

Rene
Old Oct 19th 2012, 8:46 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, as Noorah101 pointed out though you may be more difficult to find a lender due to your lack of credit history. I know of people that have done it with help and recommendations from their company (multinational), so it is possible.

With a downpayment of 70% though I would think you would be okay, even with mainstream lenders. It provides a lot of security when you have that kind of equity in the house.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 8:57 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

But this begs the question, 70% of what? Are you up on the prices of homes in the good neighborhoods of the place you are prospectively moving to? 70% down payment in a nice town in CT is going to be very different to 70% down payment in a nice town in KY, for example.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 9:09 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Bit off topic but related to L1 visa.

I would be starting with zero credit rating I guess.

70% down is a game changer.

You might be better with a broker than a financial institution since you are unlikely to fit in to the restricted niches of the products offered by the big boys.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So many threads on this.

Answer depends on where you are looking to buy and the local market.

Having 70% definitely helps get you a mortgage in most locations though.

It is a shit idea though all the same, certainly till you've been here a few years, certainly till at least the greencard application is in the works, but really better to wait till you've got to the point where you aren't tied to your employer. Much more pricey flogging a place here than in the UK if things don't work out and also more hassle flogging a place from across the pond.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Actually be coming from Uruguay (Brit expat here).
Initial work contract will be 2 years min and then extended.

Looking at houses 200-250K USD around Keller, Southlake or Grapevine area of Texas.
Seen some around 150K in Grapevine.

We'd be coming with about 160K in the account.

Yes maybe short term renting initially would be a good idea.

Last edited by alfista1; Oct 19th 2012 at 11:19 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

big_j is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking at houses 200-250K USD around Keller, Southlake or Grapevine area of Texas.
Seen some around 150K in Grapevine.)
You'll find Grapevine much more affordable than Southlake; Southlake is comparatively expensive, I'm surprised you can find anything for much less than $400k. We've lived in Grapevine for over 10 years. Love it!

Most mortgage lenders issue loans which conform to FNMA or FHLMC guidelines, so the loans can be sold to those bodies. That requires a credit score in the 600s depending upon the type of mortgage. You'd need to find someone who will sell you a non-conforming mortgage. They exist, but aren't that easy to find and I don't know what kind of rate you'd get.

Good luck!
Old Oct 24th 2012, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

If you're intent on buying, do a search for Mortgage Master.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by captainsensible
If you're intent on buying, do a search for Mortgage Master.
Thanks.

I think we've decided to rent the first 2 years while we rent our own place out here to cover the costs while we settle in.
Nothing confirmed yet, just investigating.