Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transatlantic Flying

View Poll Results: Which Class for Transatlantic Flights?
Economy
64.18%
Premium Economy
11.94%
Business
20.90%
First
2.99%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Transatlantic Flying

Old Nov 15th 2013, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transatlantic Flying

Having been spoilt by business travel over the years, I was scarred by my experience of flying economy (with BA) to SFO when I accompanied my husband on his trip over for his interviews earlier this year. I've therefore vowed never to do that again, and have already booked business class (with BA) for the whole family for our Easter reconnaissance trip.

So, I'm interested in what the general view is on this? My argument is that if I'm going to have to spend thousands on a flight (over £3k for a family of four in economy), I'd rather spend a few more for a enjoyable experience than a horrible one!

There may be alternatives, e.g. premium economy, that might be a better option, so interested in approaches taken.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transatlantic Flying

I have vowed never again to do long haul, overnight, in economy. Any 2 out of 3 I can handle, but not all 3 at once
Old Nov 15th 2013, 9:35 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with a family and premium economy is that the hand rests are locked. That's great if you are seated next to a really heavy guy, but when you have a family throwing up the arm resets creates a bigger (sort of) space. With some of the aircraft now having 3-4-3 arrangements, we've taken some very long hauls in coach with the 4 in the middle, throwing up the armrests and staking out our own little space.

We fly business quite a bit, but we had a choice last year of flying home (Hong Kong -> USA) in coach for about $6,000USD or flying home in business for $32,000USD. We opted for the savings.

My wife and I have enough miles that we can basically upgrade whenever we're flying solo, but with the whole brood in tow we opt for the cash savings.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
I have vowed never again to do long haul, overnight, in economy. Any 2 out of 3 I can handle, but not all 3 at once
Yes, it was the overnight return flight that was the real killer!
Old Nov 15th 2013, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinsix
The problem with a family and premium economy is that the hand rests are locked. That's great if you are seated next to a really heavy guy, but when you have a family throwing up the arm resets creates a bigger (sort of) space. With some of the aircraft now having 3-4-3 arrangements, we've taken some very long hauls in coach with the 4 in the middle, throwing up the armrests and staking out our own little space.

We fly business quite a bit, but we had a choice last year of flying home (Hong Kong -> USA) in coach for about $6,000USD or flying home in business for $32,000USD. We opted for the savings.

My wife and I have enough miles that we can basically upgrade whenever we're flying solo, but with the whole brood in tow we opt for the cash savings.
That is a good tip - I had thought about compromising with premium economy, but fixed arm rests would be a pain - but I can see that having 4 open seats between 2 adults and 2 littlies might be doable if push came to shove. (Don't tell hubby that though!)

That is a huge difference for the HK-US flight - I don't think we'd have gone for that!! The Easter flights are coming out at just over £7k for the four of us, so not so bad.

Last edited by Lucybell33; Nov 15th 2013 at 9:43 am.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

First class all the way. lol.

No, wait that was the rich version of myself talking. *scuttles back to Economy/cattle class*

... If you can afford it, Premium Economy with kids; less likely to annoy the Business Travellers.

Hoffage
Old Nov 15th 2013, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hoffage123
First class all the way. lol.

No, wait that was the rich version of myself talking. *scuttles back to Economy/cattle class*

... If you can afford it, Premium Economy with kids; less likely to annoy the Business Travellers.

Hoffage
lol - yes, well - first class would be the choice without the kids, naturally!!

Fortunately, my two are past the screeching stage, so hopefully not too annoying. I've flown business with plenty of kids around and not been worried by them. And I'm not overly tolerant of other peoples' kids!!
Old Nov 15th 2013, 10:18 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Deltas Economy Comfort is pretty reasonably priced ($70) upgrade and, while it isn't premium, the extra legroom is nice on an overnight flight.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 11:05 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

All of this also depends on who you're flying. BA's "premium economy" isn't halfway between economy and business in terms of quality and comfort. It's only slightly better than economy and a word away from business, and I treat it as the absolute bare minimum when I fly. That said, the up-charge on a paid fare for that cabin compared to economy can be horrendous. It's often scandalously overprices for what it is, but they can command those fares as it's a small cabin and in high demand with business travelers whose employers won't pay for business class seats.

That said, it's all well and good for me to say these things, but I shudder when I look at some of the $$$ people are quoting in this thread as having paid for their flights. I could never do that; I don't think I've spent $1,500 in any one year in flights over the last few years despite my extensive travels (40+ flights this year) - I do all my traveling either through work or using miles/points for personal trips (probably 50/50 split). If I had to pay cash every time I'd have to go down the back or else not bother at all.

Last edited by tonrob; Nov 15th 2013 at 11:08 am.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
All of this also depends on who you're flying. BA's "premium economy" isn't halfway between economy and business in terms of quality and comfort. It's only slightly better than economy and a word away from business, and I treat it as the absolute bare minimum when I fly. That said, the up-charge on a paid fare for that cabin compared to economy can be horrendous. It's often scandalously overprices for what it is, but they can command those fares as it's a small cabin and in high demand with business travelers whose employers won't pay for business class seats.

That said, it's all well and good for me to say these things, but I shudder when I look at some of the $$$ people are quoting in this thread as having paid for their flights. I could never do that; I don't think I've spent $1,500 in any one year in flights over the last few years despite my extensive travels (40+ flights this year) - I do all my traveling either through work or using miles/points for personal trips (probably 50/50 split). If I had to pay cash every time I'd have to go down the back or else not bother at all.
If I had been more smart, I would have gotten myself one of those credit cards that you can earn miles on, so for me it is definitely going to be economy when I fly .... cheapest I found was £1490 for the 3 of us (little man, missus, myself) in March .... a month ago there was a £1390 deal ...

Missus has airmiles but not enough for discounted fare; so she is using them for restaurant vouchers lol.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 11:25 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Suntrust offer the Delta Skymiles Check Card, when the credit rating gets a little better I'll be going after that.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 11:41 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucybell33
Fortunately, my two are past the screeching stage, so hopefully not too annoying. I've flown business with plenty of kids around and not been worried by them. And I'm not overly tolerant of other peoples' kids!!
So long as they aren't screeching for the whole flight, or playing with the tray table attached to MY seat , other people's kids are SEP and I just ignore them.

Lizzy
Old Nov 15th 2013, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

Need another option

We book premium economy with BA and upgrade with miles to Club World for transatlantic flights. So guess my answer is Business but pay for premium economy.

4 flights booked for Christmas trip back to the UK total cost incl taxes $5600 and change. Had we been a little more organised and paid attention to our BA account the same 4 flights in club world would have cost just over $2400 as we have two companion vouchers but the second arrived 3 weeks after we booked the trip.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
Deltas Economy Comfort is pretty reasonably priced ($70) upgrade and, while it isn't premium, the extra legroom is nice on an overnight flight.
That's useful to know, thanks
Old Nov 15th 2013, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tonrob

Thank you for the heads up - glad I didn't go for premium economy then!! One of our problems is having to travel during the school holidays - puts up the prices and no availability of avois flights!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.