Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Trading Standards Officer jobhunting in U.S.A.

Trading Standards Officer jobhunting in U.S.A.

Old Apr 26th 2004, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Emerald11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trading Standards Officer jobhunting in U.S.A.

My husband and I are hoping to move to the USA. Preferably to the west coast where my family lives. Currently we're living in Derbyshire. I'm American and he's British and he already has a greencard. As you may have guessed from the title he is a Trading Standards Officer and is 43.

He recently had a very good resume done with some help from a resume writer.

Some questions I have are: Are there any American/British companies that anyone knows of that can use the skills of a TSO? Can anyone suggest a career in the US that is similar to a TSO? Have most of you been hired for your job in the US while still living in the UK or after you moved? How did you find a job? Are companies in the US willing to hire a British person over an American? Has anyone started their own business in the USA?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Old Apr 26th 2004, 12:43 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

He's already got his greencard? How?
You can't be a permanent resident of the USA if you are living in Derbyshire.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by manc1976
As we spend alot of time at my parents in California, we were able to use that address as our base in the US.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 1:09 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

You can be denied re-entry into the United States if the officer determines that you have not lawfully maintained US residency. Simply visiting the United States before your one year "is up" is NOT always enough to maintain your green card. You must be living in the US to maintain legal alien status. If the gov't suspects that this is not the case, you can be denied! For this reason, most attorneys strongly suggest that you NOT remain out of the country for more than six months at a time. Be careful!

source:-

http://immigration.about.com/library/blpermres.htm

Last edited by manc1976; Apr 26th 2004 at 1:41 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a green card and lived in UK for 6 yrs after that. I am not sure if husband being in USAF was the reason we could but it worked as I am back with it now!!!
Suzie
Old Apr 26th 2004, 2:37 pm
@matthewb76

A permanent resident alien returning to the United States from a visit abroad of less than a year may apply for readmission by presenting an Alien Registration Receipt Card ("green card") to the immigration authorities at a port of entry. The one-year time limitation does not apply to the spouse or child of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States , or of a civilian employee of the U.S. Government stationed abroad pursuant to official orders. In this case, the spouse or child must present the card mentioned above, not have relinquished residence, and be preceding or accompanying the member or employee, or be following to join the member or employee in the United States within four months of the return of the member or employee.

from the same webpage.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 4:10 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

From what I have seen, there appear to be no trading standards here. I would suggest he retrain.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 4:46 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by monster
From what I have seen, there appear to be no trading standards here. I would suggest he retrain.

LOL, Here's a start.
Repeat after me "Would you like to biggy size that sir" or
" Would you like fries with that sir"

Sorry, couldn't resist. Good luck in your endevors..
Old Apr 26th 2004, 8:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by monster
County Code enforcement officers would be similar....for Florida
Old Apr 27th 2004, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by ray6
County Code enforcement officers would be similar....for Florida

Thanks for that. We'll do some research on the internet and see if he thinks it's a possibility.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 5:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Emerald11
Thanks for that. We'll do some research on the internet and see if he thinks it's a possibility.
This may give help:
http://www.aace1.com/
Old Apr 27th 2004, 5:16 pm
@matthewb76

I'd still talk to the Embassy about DCF in case his Green Card isn't valid.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

I'd still talk to the Embassy about DCF in case his Green Card isn't valid.
Please can you tell me what you mean by "DCF" - what exactly is that?

Old Apr 27th 2004, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Emerald11
Please can you tell me what you mean by "DCF" - what exactly is that?

Direct Consulate Filing

well that is what it stands for.

What you would need to do if his Green Card is not valid/

Whilst I ma not certain, there does not seem to be TSO's in CO and if there were I do not believe UK experiance would be perceived to be of any value. Americans are very insular. The issue arose in another context and the USC I spoke to did not know what I was talking about, they were unaware of any.