Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Touchdown Pennsylvania!

Touchdown Pennsylvania!

Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Touchdown Pennsylvania!

Originally Posted by ironporer
I guess I am of a different mindset. I do not want religon in the classroom as a rule. I am not a big Christian, have been to church 5 times in 20 years maybe. But in this classroom that we can not have a 1 minute statement of this type, what does the teacher say when Johnny asks how the whole process began? I find no issue with a non-denominational (Muslims, Jews, Christians all believe that a higher power created the world/universe...87% of the US does according to CNN last night) statement of this sort.

I did have to laugh at the fact that this case was decided by a GW Bush appointee. Even God has a sense of irony.
ah well, the other 13% don't want their children taught something that looks completely bonkers.

Seriously, letting religion into the science classroom is a bad thing.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:12 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I am of a different mindset.
Where do you draw the line? A minute for the holecaust deniers before the history lesson? A minute for the animal liberation front before the home economics steak-frying lesson? A minute in Spanish before the English lesson? There'd be no end to it!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:56 am

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Where do you draw the line? A minute for the holecaust deniers before the history lesson? A minute for the animal liberation front before the home economics steak-frying lesson? A minute in Spanish before the English lesson? There'd be no end to it!
I don't think there's anything wrong with kids challenging what is being taught in a classroom, as long as it's part of a discussion rather than for the sake of being facetious. It's better than being spoonfed one version of the truth.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 3:05 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Well they certainly have sufficient time now to waste on multicultuisim, enviromentalisim, animal rights and other crap- I wouldn't begrudge a minute dedicated to those who believe the holocost didn't happen or such. In fact- i actually can not imagine a class studying evolution in which some kid does not ask about how it all began (the key thing that Darwinisim fails to account for).
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 3:16 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Well they certainly have sufficient time now to waste on multicultuisim, enviromentalisim, animal rights and other crap- I wouldn't begrudge a minute dedicated to those who believe the holocost didn't happen or such. In fact- i actually can not imagine a class studying evolution in which some kid does not ask about how it all began (the key thing that Darwinisim fails to account for).

And it really wouldn't be a problem for the class to wander into it for a while IMO. But mandated religious convictions read out before a science lesson are pushing religion down everybody's throat whether they want it or not.

Poking holes in evolution is good. Poking holes in any scientific theory is good. You can do it in many places other than evolution (Is EMR particulate or wave-like, for example). But stating that because a theory has holes we must accept that there is a god is stoopid and nonsensical in the science classroom.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

In fact- i actually can not imagine a class studying evolution in which some kid does not ask about how it all began (the key thing that Darwinisim fails to account for).
Darwinism of course only relates to evolution through natural selection, not the origins of life which is a different topic altogether (which is why ID and evolution are not mutually exclusive).

I seem to remember being taught about the 'Big Bang' theory and how different enzymes can come together to create primitive proteins.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 3:35 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

And it really wouldn't be a problem for the class to wander into it for a while IMO. But mandated religious convictions read out before a science lesson are pushing religion down everybody's throat whether they want it or not.

Poking holes in evolution is good. Poking holes in any scientific theory is good. You can do it in many places other than evolution (Is EMR particulate or wave-like, for example). But stating that because a theory has holes we must accept that there is a god is stoopid and nonsensical in the science classroom.
The statement did no such thing- nothing religious was mandated. read the actual statement below- it seems quite harmless to me.

The Pennsylvania Academic Standards require students to learn about Darwin’s theory of evolution and eventually to take a standardized test of which evolution is a part.

Because Darwin’s theory is a theory, it continues to be tested as new evidence is discovered. The theory is not a fact. Gaps in the theory exist for which there is no evidence. A theory is defined as a well-tested explanation that unifies a broad range of observations.

Intelligent design is an explanation of the origin of life that differs from Darwin’s view. The reference book, “Of Pandas and People,” is available for students who might be interested in gaining an understanding of what intelligent design actually involves.

With respect to any theory, students are encouraged to keep an open mind. The school leaves the discussion of the origins of life to individual students and their families. As a standards-driven district, class instruction focuses upon preparing students to achieve proficiency on standards-based assessments.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The statement did no such thing- nothing religious was mandated. read the actual statement below- it seems quite harmless to me.

The Pennsylvania Academic Standards require students to learn about Darwin’s theory of evolution and eventually to take a standardized test of which evolution is a part.

Because Darwin’s theory is a theory, it continues to be tested as new evidence is discovered. The theory is not a fact. Gaps in the theory exist for which there is no evidence. A theory is defined as a well-tested explanation that unifies a broad range of observations.

Intelligent design is an explanation of the origin of life that differs from Darwin’s view. The reference book, “Of Pandas and People,” is available for students who might be interested in gaining an understanding of what intelligent design actually involves.

With respect to any theory, students are encouraged to keep an open mind. The school leaves the discussion of the origins of life to individual students and their families. As a standards-driven district, class instruction focuses upon preparing students to achieve proficiency on standards-based assessments.
I think we're on the same lines but...

.. ID has no evidence, so it's a hypothesis rather than a theory.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 4:22 am
Septicity

The first thing you should teach students when they are starting to learn science is the difference between hypothesis, theory and law in the scientific understanding of the words. Seem to remember it was there at the beginning of my first text book. You teach them both theories and laws, but it is nonsensical to teach them hypotheses but rather to teach them to hypothesize. And as anotherlimey points out, intelligent design is at best a hypothesis. So why the *** should we teach them that? The only answer is that the crazy zealots want the state to push religion down the unbelievers' throats. And as far as I am concerned, they can just *** off. Nobody with half a brain is convinced by the dressing up of creationism into so-called ID.