British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Touchdown Pennsylvania! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/touchdown-pennsylvania-343771/)

BritGuyTN Dec 20th 2005 7:50 pm

Touchdown Pennsylvania!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/20/in...ign/index.html

Phew, at least somone saw some sense

[Puts flame-suit on]

anotherlimey Dec 20th 2005 7:58 pm

Re: Touchdown Pennsylvania!

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

[Puts flame-suit on]

We have a long way to go before the issue is completely dealt with.

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 20th 2005 8:47 pm

"To be sure, Darwin's theory of evolution is imperfect. However, the fact that a scientific theory cannot yet render an explanation on every point should not be used as a pretext to thrust an untestable alternative hypothesis grounded in religion into the science classroom or to misrepresent well-established scientific propositions,"

See look sense! I knew it existed somewhere.

TN-Dave Dec 21st 2005 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

[Puts flame-suit on]

'bout bloody time too !.... Kids should be taught all possibilities and left to make their own decisions, not forced to have only one thing taught and then told that everything else is wrong. no one can prove or disporove either, so why should we force them to learn only one version ?

nethead Dec 21st 2005 1:29 pm

Loved this quote
"Jones said of the defendants, "It is ironic that several of these individuals, who so staunchly and proudly touted their religious convictions in public, would time and again lie to cover their tracks and disguise the real purpose" behind the intelligent design policy."
And that from a Bush appointee. I'm so happy with this decision, now perhaps it will keep ID out of the biology class.

Annette

Shahlax Dec 21st 2005 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
'bout bloody time too !.... Kids should be taught all possibilities and left to make their own decisions, not forced to have only one thing taught and then told that everything else is wrong. no one can prove or disporove either, so why should we force them to learn only one version ?

But that's exactly what this ruling does - forces kids to be taught only evolution!

anotherlimey Dec 21st 2005 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Shahlax
But that's exactly what this ruling does - forces kids to be taught only evolution!

Only evolution in science; ID will be kept where it belongs - in RE.

ironporer Dec 21st 2005 7:34 pm

Amazing- all this stink over a ONE MINUTE statement that while modern science shows the Theory of Evolution to be the most likely, others believe that a Creator (God, Budda, Alla, Spacemen, Timetravelers from future etc) had a hand in it. ONE FREAKING MINUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was NEVER about teaching ID... only a ONE MINUTE statement. I believe in Evolution, and have no issues with it- other than HOW THE F**K IT ALL BEGAN. Please tell me again what was wrong with a ONE MINUTE statement to kids????

fatbrit Dec 21st 2005 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer
Please tell me again what was wrong with a ONE MINUTE statement to kids????

Because we don't want religion in the science classroom. Period.

anotherlimey Dec 21st 2005 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Because we don't want religion in the science classroom. Period.

Exactly, not even one minute of it.

nethead Dec 21st 2005 7:43 pm

This was NEVER about teaching ID... only a ONE MINUTE statement. I believe in Evolution, and have no issues with it- other than HOW THE F**K IT ALL BEGAN. Please tell me again what was wrong with a ONE MINUTE statement to kids????

But surely the point is that even a one minute statement doesn't belong in the science class, if they want to debate then go ahead and debate in philosophy.

Annette

Elvira Dec 21st 2005 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Only evolution in science; ID will be kept where it belongs - in RE.

As it should be.

I like all those stories from the bible (Song of Solomon - WOW), I stand in awe in front of all those wondeful religious images by Giotto, Piero della Francesco, Duccio et al, and maybe if I live long enough I'll even become a believer myself...

But for goodness sake, ID doesn't make any sense at all. Our knowledge of evolution may be incomplete, but what there is sure DOES make sense!

ID or anything like it should not be mentioned in science class AT ALL!

fatbrit Dec 21st 2005 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by nethead
But surely the point is that even a one minute statement doesn't belong in the science class, if they want to debate then go ahead and debate in philosophy.

Annette

Would seem an excellent place to debate it.

ironporer Dec 21st 2005 9:06 pm

I guess I am of a different mindset. I do not want religon in the classroom as a rule. I am not a big Christian, have been to church 5 times in 20 years maybe. But in this classroom that we can not have a 1 minute statement of this type, what does the teacher say when Johnny asks how the whole process began? I find no issue with a non-denominational (Muslims, Jews, Christians all believe that a higher power created the world/universe...87% of the US does according to CNN last night) statement of this sort.

I did have to laugh at the fact that this case was decided by a GW Bush appointee. Even God has a sense of irony.

Shahlax Dec 21st 2005 9:18 pm

I guess I am of a different mindset. I do not want religon in the classroom as a rule. I am not a big Christian, have been to church 5 times in 20 years maybe. But in this classroom that we can not have a 1 minute statement of this type, what does the teacher say when Johnny asks how the whole process began? I find no issue with a non-denominational (Muslims, Jews, Christians all believe that a higher power created the world/universe...87% of the US does according to CNN last night) statement of this sort.

I did have to laugh at the fact that this case was decided by a GW Bush appointee. Even God has a sense of irony.

It's a minority deciding what should be taught to a majority who believe in something else. As for GW Bush and his cronies, I always had my doubts that they are truly religious. They use religion more as a political weapon.