Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Top relocation tips

Top relocation tips

Old Dec 20th 2016, 2:04 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top relocation tips

Congratulations on passing the first stage. Now everything will seem to accelerate until you actually board the plane, at which time you can finally take a deep breath!
Old Jan 11th 2017, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top relocation tips

Originally Posted by kins
I actually found that being a stay-at-home-mum meant I made more friends than my husband did.

Look for online groups for parents in the area you'll be moving to. I joined one in my small town, and another for southern Maine, and between the two I met lots of people with kids the same age as mine.

I also sent my children to a co-op nursery, which is a bit like a playgroup in the UK. Ours did mornings only and they kept the fees down by having parents volunteer to help during sessions and doing all the admin. I made lots of good friends through that too.

I also found that parents would strike up conversations at the playground, and I made friends that way.

And I made friends through my children's schools, through volunteering at their sports events, girl scouts, all the usual stuff.
nice to hear this and gives me lots of hope