Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Top relocation tips

Top relocation tips

Old Nov 26th 2016, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute
Default Top relocation tips

Im new here. We expect to move from UK to TN in early Feb - my husband has accepted a job offer and things are in progress though not all confirmed yet. Visa and shipping organised through employer. We have a newborn and a toddler. The visa we go out on doesn't allow me to work.

No doubt I'll have much more specific Qs in due course.

For now, do you have any top tips: things you wished you knew when you moved. Maybe pitfalls to avoid, things to aid transit and assimilation, things you brought but were a waste, things you wished you'd brought? Im just interested!

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top relocation tips

What visa category is your husband being sponsored for?

I'm just thinking that from the sounds of it your kids will be starting their education in the US system, but may end up being yanked back to the UK after not too long.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply Tom.

From memory, HB-1 with sponsorship for green card later.

Yes, you could be right with the kids especially if we remain on the HB-1.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chesten
Thanks for your reply Tom.

From memory, HB-1 with sponsorship for green card later.

Yes, you could be right with the kids especially if we remain on the HB-1.
Okay, I'm assuming you meant H1-B which for most jobs is capped.

If your husband's line of work is capped then the top tip would be don't get your hopes up until you have a visa in hand as it certainly isn't a given. Okay, that's top tip for every category.

It's thought to be around 30% of H1-B petitions are approved due to over-subscription.

Other than that, if you haven't already try settle on one group of airlines and start accumulating air miles. I've had it pay for a transatlantic flight before (and only had to foot the tax bill).

Research how long TN gives for foreign driving licences (assuming you guys want to drive) and then pass your test in that window. In NC it is 60 days. Budget for a higher insurance premium as most companies only count US experience. The only company we found was Liberty Mutual. By them counting my 5 years UK experience it knocked over a thousand off the yearly premium.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Bring a printout of your children's vaccination history, and be ready to do some catch-up vaccinations after you've arrived.

Find a paediatrician who is available to take the children as patients ASAP, and make sure they're covered as in-network providers by your health insurance - your HR person should be able to help you find this info.

Also find out which local urgent care your health insurance covers in-network.

If I moved again, I wouldn't bother bringing any of our beds or bedding - I'd just buy US size beds and start over again with bedding.

Bring an open mind :-)
Old Nov 26th 2016, 3:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Okay, I'm assuming you meant H1-B which for most jobs is capped.

If your husband's line of work is capped then the top tip would be don't get your hopes up until you have a visa in hand as it certainly isn't a given. Okay, that's top tip for every category.

It's thought to be around 30% of H1-B petitions are approved due to over-subscription.
Plus, unless the job is cap exempt, the OP won't be moving in February - the earliest the OP's husband will be able to start work (even if successful in the 'lottery' system) is 1st October 2017.

But at least then they'd have more time to get it all sorted, moving with only 2 months to sort everything with a newborn and a toddler would not be my idea of fun! Hopefully if the OP's husband is cap exempt, the company are helping them out with lots of it.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 26th 2016 at 3:11 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 5:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Have you had a look at the wiki up at the top? There's a good bit in there on relocation packages as well as things to consider when you move which would be a good starting point.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the tips, very helpful indeed. The children's health stuff I agree is most important so thanks for the steer.

Hadn't appreciated the likely high car insurance hit - good warning. Interesting re beds and bedding, something I hadn't considered

The wiki I shall read now.

The visa situation alarms me as my husband is certain he's going imminently and has told his current employer (hopefully not actually given formal notice). Is this info the same when it's gov sponsored and they use an expedited service? Maybe that's a question I should ask in the visa thread? It's a science- type role.

Actually if things are slower it suits me in so many ways as there is so much to do, but my other half is so keen to go I think a big delay would be hard from him... Though perhaps that's the reality for most/ all.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 12:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... The visa situation alarms me as my husband is certain he's going imminently and has told his current employer (hopefully not actually given formal notice). Is this info the same when it's gov sponsored and they use an expedited service? Maybe that's a question I should ask in the visa thread? It's a science- type role.

Actually if things are slower it suits me in so many ways as there is so much to do, but my other half is so keen to go I think a big delay would be hard from him... Though perhaps that's the reality for most/ all.
If the visa is education-related, such as a lecturing or academic research position then it should be "uncapped" and getting the visa shouldn't be an issue, but as Tom said, you still shouldn't count your chickens .... If an H-1B can be expedited (usually it is L-1A/B visas that are expedited), then your visas could be processed in as little as one month.

On the subject of driving and cars, while new cars in the US are notoriously cheap, used cars are relatively expensive with the retail price of a car not dropping much in the first two years, and even a marginally road-worthy heap still selling for several thousand dollars. Also you will only have 30 day, per TN law, to obtain a local drivers license. Contrary to popular belief you do not have 12 months - that is for visitors who do not settle in any one state. .... Obtaining a local license will require you to take a "written" (computer) test, and a road test.

Read up on the rules on driving in TN, the written tests have a habit of containing questions about the drink driving laws and penalties for infractions. The road test is pretty much a joke - but take it seriously and you won't have a problem passing it. Just be sure to stop at stop signs and red lights, and don't run over more than one pedestrian, and you'll be passed.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 27th 2016 at 12:51 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 2:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If the visa is education-related, such as a lecturing or academic research position then it should be "uncapped" and getting the visa shouldn't be an issue, but as Tom said, you still shouldn't count your chickens .... If an H-1B can be expedited (usually it is L-1A/B visas that are expedited), then your visas could be processed in as little as one month.
Premium processing gets a decision within a couple of weeks and costs an extra grand.

Won't help if the position is capped though.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for clarification on premium processing. Clearly I need to establish if the role is in the capped category or not. I'm getting info third hand but at least I know what to ask now! I think uncapped but need to be sure.

Love the tips on driving test - hilarious. I'll try extra hard to keep the body count to a minimum! I will take seriously though. Driving on right and an automatic are unfamiliar to me and I appreciate some rules will be different. It seems we must do the test in 30 days. Is that usually calendar or working days? I guessed calendar since it didn't mention working days.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 3:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... It seems we must do the test in 30 days. Is that usually calendar or working days? I guessed calendar since it didn't mention working days.
Yes, calendar days - every day is a working day in America.

You might have difficulty getting an appointment for a road test within 30 days. You could try a smaller town or more rural location as they often have shorter wait times, but if not just be sure to book your test ASAP and be able to show that you are using your best endeavors to get your license and it is highly unlikely you would have a problem even if stopped by the police.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 27th 2016 at 3:38 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Tennessee and was wondering what city you plan to move to?
Old Nov 27th 2016, 5:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the tips, very helpful indeed. The children's health stuff I agree is most important so thanks for the steer.

Hadn't appreciated the likely high car insurance hit - good warning. Interesting re beds and bedding, something I hadn't considered

The wiki I shall read now.

The visa situation alarms me as my husband is certain he's going imminently and has told his current employer (hopefully not actually given formal notice). Is this info the same when it's gov sponsored and they use an expedited service? Maybe that's a question I should ask in the visa thread? It's a science- type role.

Not sure what the gov sponsored means. Is the US government the one who is offering him employment? Or do you mean that the position is on the list of categories for H-1B visas approved by the USCIS (government)?

Where in TN will you be heading?
Old Nov 28th 2016, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Moving to Knoxville area.

"Gov sponsored" might well be the wrong phrase. The project is for a gov agency but I'm not sure of the specifics ie whether working for the agency direct or having close links. It's a phrase we've adopted rather than used by the employer. I don't know about whether it's exempt from the cap or not but suspect it is as the work is in the research field.

One thing that's been holding up the visa application is we mislaid the masters degree certificate and have been waiting on a replacement now promised imminently. We'll be in touch with HR when that's received and I'll try any establish other facts at the same time.

Last edited by Chesten; Nov 28th 2016 at 8:30 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.