Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Tipping System is Ridiculous

The Tipping System is Ridiculous

Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:03 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Tipping System is Ridiculous

Couldn't be arsed to read the whole thread yet, but here's my take on things.

Yes, it does suck that waiters/waitresses here in the US work for tips & are not really guaranteed a wage, but that's just the way it's done here.

A waitress friend of mine once said, if you moan that you can't afford to give a decent tip, then you really shouldn't be eating out anyway. If you are on a budget, visit the restaurants website to get the gist of the prices, then add it up in your head how much you will need for food, plus 25-30% for the tax & tip, then you'll have a good idea whether you can afford it or not & if not, stay home!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:07 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar

Yes, it does suck that waiters/waitresses here in the US work for tips & are not really guaranteed a wage, but that's just the way it's done here.

A waitress friend of mine once said, if you moan that you can't afford to give a decent tip, then you really shouldn't be eating out anyway. If you are on a budget, visit the restaurants website to get the gist of the prices, then add it up in your head how much you will need for food, plus 25-30% for the tax & tip, then you'll have a good idea whether you can afford it or not & if not, stay home!

Sweetheart, what on earth made you think this thread would still be on topic?

Might actually be quite amusing if you ain't got nothing better to do...
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:15 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Sweetheart, what on earth made you think this thread would still be on topic?

Might actually be quite amusing if you ain't got nothing better to do...
Well I did guess that after 8 pages it probably would have wondered off into some sex slave den of torture & debauchery, but we are known for revisiting the original topic along the way!!! I shall give the whole thing a read later or tomorrow, if I get a mo, but for now I am off to my own sex slave den of torture & debauchery as hubs is home early from work!!!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

It sucks but everyone (usually) pays the tip - it might not be fair - but it works - the service (in my experience) is far superior than in the UK so you dont mind paying - and its factored into the cost and works out cheaper than home anyway.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:17 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Well I did guess that after 8 pages it probably would have wondered off into some sex slave den of torture & debauchery, but we are known for revisiting the original topic along the way!!! I shall give the whole thing a read later or tomorrow, if I get a mo, but for now I am off to my own sex slave den of torture & debauchery as hubs is home early from work!!!

Have fun
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:18 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Big D
It sucks but everyone (usually) pays the tip - it might not be fair - but it works - the service (in my experience) is far superior than in the UK so you dont mind paying - and its factored into the cost and works out cheaper than home anyway.
Abso-floggin-lutely!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:18 pm
Back where I belong!

Have fun
You too Popsickle!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Who are you and what have you done with our Ray?
This is the reincarnation of the old Ray. He is trying to square away his real Karma issues. Beware!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:24 pm
Homebody

You too Popsickle!

Fat chance!

DH is in Paris. One son has just touched down at Dulles and hopefully will catch a flight to SFO (from where I shall have to pleasure of collecting him - just what I need...). And his twin brother is off his rocker.

Do you have kids? Of course you do. Quit while you're ahead...
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Fat chance!

DH is in Paris. One son has just touched down at Dulles and hopefully will catch a flight to SFO (from where I shall have to pleasure of collecting him - just what I need...). And his twin brother is off his rocker.

Do you have kids? Of course you do. Quit while you're ahead...

If its not too much to ask - could we please stay on the topic of sex and debaucherthingy ?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:02 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

I can see the good sides and bad sides to tipping, but one thing a lot of people never mention is that yes waitressing/barwork etc is paid pretty low wages which is well known, but these people should know what they are getting into when they accept the job - perhaps they should look elsewhere!

good service is something that should come naturally - we shouldnt have to reward someone for doing their job correctly.

- my boss doesnt tip me when i balance the Accounts well, but i am providing a service to the company.

Ant
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:05 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by gardnma
If its not too much to ask - could we please stay on the topic of sex and debaucherthingy ?

How do you think I acquired these offspring FFS?...
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

How do you think I acquired these offspring FFS?...

I can guess. Or perhaps just shouldn't. The anonymity of this forum thing really brings out the worst in people - dont you think??
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:09 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by gardnma
I can guess. Or perhaps just shouldn't. The anonymity of this forum thing really brings out the worst in people - dont you think??

Speak for yerself!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

Speak for yerself!
I find its best that I do. Tried to do it some other way once with alarming results.

Gawd, I'm bored, hoping the usual posters will come along soon. I may have to start replying to my own posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.