Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Timeline for N400 and leaving USA

Timeline for N400 and leaving USA

Old Aug 21st 2009, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeline for N400 and leaving USA

To chuck my oar in - judging by current time lines, I think you stand a good chance of being done by March.....but that's easy to say from the sidelines.

For my own story, while I was applying for citizenship, for some of the period, I was actually working contracts overseas; month on, month off. My philosophy though, was that I'd make sure I was in the US for the interview, no matter what.

The first thing you'll get though the mail though, is a fingerprinting appointment. I was due out of the country for mine - so what I did was turn up in person to the fingerprinting office a week early (while back in the States) with the appointment letter in hand, and explained the situation. The guy on the desk changed it for me there and then; I got fingerprinted right there, and happily went back off overseas for my next stint. I'm not the only one to have done this on the fingerprint appointment, it seems fairly common.

That tactic won't work with your interview though - you really need to be there when they call you. In my case, by the time that rolled around, I was back working permanently in the US again, so it was a non-issue....but had it come up, I'd have made sure I was there.....you don't want to be rescheduling if at all possible, as it can take ages, apparently. Goes without saying you don't want to be a no-show, either.

So that's what you have to weigh up - should the interview happen to fall when you plan to be back in the UK, are you ultimately prepared to either scratch/reschedule your holiday, or go through the faff of rescheduling the interview? If you are - go for it now...if not....wait.

Edit: the other thing to consider would be to say that you'll delay your trip back to the UK until you have your citizenship in hand (and then go about booking it once all done). If you do this though, factor in at least a couple of weeks (on fast processing) after the oath to get your US passport sorted before you go, as once you become a citizen, you can't enter or leave on your UK passport.

Last edited by Dan725; Aug 21st 2009 at 5:03 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by waxwabbit
Thanks everyone for your input

I should have made it clearer, my trip back to Blighty will only be a holiday - I will not have any problems with the residence requirements.

It seems borderline to do it from what I am reading here so far.

Aes, I would be interested to hear your experience - thank you

cheers ya'll!
Update: Checked my status online and, having just received NOA on 8/20/09,now I see this:
Current Status: Request for Additional Evidence Sent

On August 21, 2009, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires

Haven't yet received the notice they refer to, dated 8/21, so have no idea what this means, but am already freaking out!!!! Anyone else had that???
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Haven't yet received the notice they refer to, dated 8/21, so have no idea what this means, but am already freaking out!!!!
The date is when they sent it to their mail room, not when it was delivered to the post office. Give it another week or so to arrive.

Anyone else had that???
Lots of people receive RFE's. It's likely some small thing that was either forgotten, or that was dropped on the floor and now the guy can't find it. The RFE will tell you what's required.

Ian
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The date is when they sent it to their mail room, not when it was delivered to the post office. Give it another week or so to arrive.

Lots of people receive RFE's. It's likely some small thing that was either forgotten, or that was dropped on the floor and now the guy can't find it. The RFE will tell you what's required.

Ian
Thanks guys, I shall try not to worry toooooooooooooo much!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I shall try not to worry toooooooooooooo much!
Well, now I am confused. After checking on line and logging in for my status, it saying they had sent me a letter dated 8/21 requesting further info - letter not yet received - today I get my fingerprint appointment in the mail - for 9/3. But this is dated 8/24. What gives??????
Old Aug 26th 2009, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... today I get my fingerprint appointment in the mail - for 9/3. But this is dated 8/24.
This is the exact reason why the online update system is useless and the reason that people should summarily ignore anything that's there. Don't bother checking online... stuff will come in the mail.

Ian
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

This is the exact reason why the online update system is useless and the reason that people should summarily ignore anything that's there. Don't bother checking online... stuff will come in the mail.

Ian
Good suggestion, thanks!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

rotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nice

They actually did something to the online system recently. A week ago I got a message that my application has been transferred to a local office for a standard interview. Lo and behold, 3 days later an interview letter arrived in my mailbox.

Same thing happened for a friend who applied a few days later than me (same District Office though - Atlanta, GA).